Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default US Teacher Suspended For Suggesting History

No wonder our kids are so angry!!!!!!!!!! Their teachers can't teach them for fear of political retribution!!!!!!!!!!!

US Teacher Suspended for Allowing Pupils To Read Bestseller

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
    Thursday July 3, 2008
    The Guardian

An Indiana teacher who used a much lauded bestseller, The Freedom Writers Diary, to try to inspire under-performing high-school students has been suspended from her job without pay for 18 months.
    The effective book ban by the school authorities in Perry Township has outraged teachers and education reformers.

The Writers Diary, a series of true stories written by inner-city teenagers, was put together by a teacher, Erin Gruwell, and has been celebrated as a model for transforming young lives. It was made into a film with Hilary Swank last year.

More: http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...288658,00.html

Maybe they'll get more out of the puke playbook?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ah yes, No Child Left Behind, where actual teaching attempts are thwarted with vigor
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Ah yes, No Child Left Behind, where actual teaching attempts are thwarted with vigor
    I'm against censorship over language at the secondary level, though unconvinced that would be the sole reason in this case. I'm familiar with the book, quite unsure however why it would be used in US History class. After googling the only reference found it from the Guardian piece, which was elaborated upon by that writer at Huffington Post, then mentioned by another blogger on LA Times.

Considering the teacher was put on a 1 year suspension and not fighting it, the only report on that by an Indiana paper, doesn't seem like all the facts are in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

While this happened in England, for some reason I'll bet PB and DS might find it much more 'understandable':

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ray-Allah.html

Schoolboys punished with detention for refusing to kneel in class and pray to Allah

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 11:30 AM on 04th July 2008

Two schoolboys were given detention after refusing to kneel down and 'pray to Allah' during a religious education lesson.

Parents were outraged that the two boys from year seven (11 to 12-year-olds) were punished for not wanting to take part in the practical demonstration of how Allah is worshipped.

They said forcing their children to take part in the exercise at Alsager High School, near Stoke-on-Trent - which included wearing Muslim headgear - was a breach of their human rights.
    Alsager School

Alsager School, near Stoke, has received furious complaints from parents after two Year 7 boys were punished for refusing to kneel to Allah during a religious studies class

One parent, Sharon Luinen, said: "This isn't right, it's taking things too far.

"I understand that they have to learn about other religions. I can live with that but it is taking it a step too far to be punished because they wouldn't join in Muslim prayer.

"Making them pray to Allah, who isn't who they worship, is wrong and what got me is that they were told they were being disrespectful.

"I don't want this to look as if I have a problem with the school because I am generally very happy with it."

Another parent Karen Williams said: "I am absolutely furious my daughter was made to take part in it and I don't find it acceptable.

"I haven't got a problem with them teaching my child other religions and a small amount of information doesn't do any harm.

"But not only did they have to pray, the teacher had gone into the class and made them watch a short film and then said 'we are now going out to pray to Allah'....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

More people need to be disrespectful to allah. I am at every opportunity.

allah
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    While this happened in England, for some reason I'll bet PB and DS might find it much more 'understandable':

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ray-Allah.html
    One reason I'm happy to be an American, of many. However, my point still stands: As it said in the article, the book was chosen for being a spectacularly encouraging story, and if the school were going to approve ANY book like that, that's the one you go for, especially when you're attempting to inspire students. As it is a part of our history, being a true story, that is within bounds, and seriously, if a teacher wants to go out of their way to teach the kids a little bit extra, and look to inspire them to greater heights, by all means, go for it.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    One reason I'm happy to be an American, of many. However, my point still stands: As it said in the article, the book was chosen for being a spectacularly encouraging story, and if the school were going to approve ANY book like that, that's the one you go for, especially when you're attempting to inspire students. As it is a part of our history, being a true story, that is within bounds, and seriously, if a teacher wants to go out of their way to teach the kids a little bit extra, and look to inspire them to greater heights, by all means, go for it.
    Disagree with your premise that it should be taught in US history, check out any states goals and standards regarding US history. It's use in an English or Literature course, yes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Disagree with your premise that it should be taught in US history, check out any states goals and standards regarding US history. It's use in an English or Literature course, yes.
    Education's purpose isn't to stick to strict guidelines set-out by the politbureau. It seems that this teacher was simply trying to inspire the students by showing them that kids their age had published a book. For many of them, it was probably a "novel" concept.
    For all you linear-thinking troglodytes out there, this is what we refer to as "outside the box thinking."
    Do we even know why the book has been banned? Does it contain *gasp* sexual references or something equally frightening?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Education's purpose isn't to stick to strict guidelines set-out by the politbureau. It seems that this teacher was simply trying to inspire the students by showing them that kids their age had published a book. For many of them, it was probably a "novel" concept.
    For all you linear-thinking troglodytes out there, this is what we refer to as "outside the box thinking."
    Do we even know why the book has been banned? Does it contain *gasp* sexual references or something equally frightening?
    LOL! Again, it does fit into English courses, not with social studies. It would fit in the 'guidelines' in English; fail for US history.

If she wishes to have students read 'inspirational' books, either find them from the basis of curriculum, or get endorsed in Language Arts or Literature.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Administrators objected to racial slurs and sexual content in portions of the book.[
    Found this little snippet. Seems the book was banned for the same reason many others are racial slurs. You won't see Huck Finn being read in schools these days either, same reason.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LOL! Again, it does fit into English courses, not with social studies. It would fit in the 'guidelines' in English; fail for US history.

If she wishes to have students read 'inspirational' books, either find them from the basis of curriculum, or get endorsed in Language Arts or Literature.
    From the story:
    Teachers' union officials say that a single board member objected to swearing in the book. The school board member allegedly persuaded the other six officials to ban Heermann from teaching the book. It remains available in school libraries.
    Regardless of your reich-esque standards for strict adherence to Das Curricula in highschool history classes, the reason for the book's banning was because it apparently featured swear words. Swear words! This country is going down the sh*tter. I see crap like this every day now. Books being banned. Educators put on probation for trying to reach students. It's a f*cking travesty.
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

From the story:

Regardless of your reich-esque standards for strict adherence to Das Curricula in highschool history classes, the reason for the book's banning was because it apparently featured swear words. Swear words! This country is going down the sh*tter. I see crap like this every day now. Books being banned. Educators put on probation for trying to reach students. It's a f*cking travesty.
    Wrong.

Racial slurs. You won't see Huck Finn being taught either.

Not saying I agree with it, but there you are.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Wrong.

Racial slurs. You won't see Huck Finn being taught either.

Not saying I agree with it, but there you are.
    "Wrong?" I quoted the story from the OP genius. And on top of that, are you really arguing that swear words and racial slurs are not the same thing? For God's sake. No wonder conservatism is dead.
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 07-07-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

"Wrong?" I quoted the story from the OP genius. And on top of that, are you really arguing that swear words and racial slurs are not the same thing? For God's sake. No wonder conservatism is dead.
    Heermann violated a supervisor's direct decision by continuing to use "The Freedom Writers Diary" in her classroom last semester after an administrator told her to stop using the book. School officials objected to the racial slurs and stereotypes, and sexually explicit content in the book.

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsSt...d=41430&cat=15

Yes, I'm arguing that racial slurs and swear words arn't the same thing.

Shit and damn just arn't on the same level as Ni@@er.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsSt...d=41430&cat=15

Yes, I'm arguing that racial slurs and swear words arn't the same thing.

Shit and damn just arn't on the same level as Ni@@er.
    You have a point regarding the particularly insidious and derogatory nature of racial slurs compared to expletives. However, I am refering to both in terms of banned speech. In those terms, they are the same thing. Both are forms of speech that should not be banned but are regularly on "moral" grounds.

And back to the topic at hand, nobody seems to be acknowledging that this teacher went through all appropriate channels--even going to the trouble of getting students to get parental permission for the book before she attempted to use it in her class. I submit that the school board is wrong in this case. Banning books and educators does nothing to protect students or further the cause of education. All it does is satisfy the self-righteousness of those who institute it.