Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    marino doesnt even make top three........

http://www.armchairgm.com/index.php?...layers_ever%3F

great passer?!.... hell fouts was a great passer
    He makes mine and many more people's top three. Your guy even said "you have to consider championships". I find that wrong. A QB does not win championships. A team wins championships. And Marino, with all of his records, did that on sub-par teams. Montana, Elway nor Unitas could have won a super bowl with the teams Marino played on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    He makes mine and many more people's top three. Your guy even said "you have to consider championships". I find that wrong. A QB does not win championships. A team wins championships. And Marino, with all of his records, did that on sub-par teams. Montana, Elway nor Unitas could have won a super bowl with the teams Marino played on.
    if i could could pick any quaterback to win a game or my family would be killed marino would not even be in my top five .... montana, bradshaw, stabler, namath, unitas, elway ..... hell i would take plunket .... like i said foutus could throw the ball but couldn't win .... it is all well and fine to say he is a great quaterback but at the end of the day you are paid to win .... sub par teams ... lol ... making excuses now...http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia1984.htm
    Last edited by manu1959; 03-31-2007 at 12:33 PM.

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Montana won those games all by himself too huh? LOL! As I wrote earlier, if Marino ever had half the team around him that Montana had, Marino would have a fist full of championship rings right now.

When did Marino ever "choke"? Show me a time when Marino, other than when he was hurt, couldn't make the throw. Montana had the games all-time best receiver, he had one of the games best running backs and Montana always had a defense. Marino had ONE 1000yr running back his entire career and a defense that allowed 30 pt's per game most of his career. And Clayton and Duper were average at best. If Montana had of been a Dolphin and Marino a 49er, we'd be having the exact same argument, with just the names changed.
    No, if Montana had been a Dolphin the Dolphins would've won 5 S.B.'s by now, Montana engineered more two minute game winning drives than anyone in history.

Marino choked by never winning the big 1, hell he only got to the S.B. 1 time(took a beating from the Niners and Montana BTW) and I believe that was his only trip to the AFC title game that year too.

My point is that a special QB finds ways to win games despite who is around him, Brett Farve is a perfect example, he's had ok personnel around him during his career but he always found a way to win despite the personnel.

IMO Marino was a good QB but not a special one, he's overrated as far as how history views his career. I hold Jim Kelly in higher esteem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if i could could pick any quaterback to win a game or my family would be killed marino would not even be in my top five .... montana, bradshaw, stabler, namath, unitas, elway ..... hell i would take plunket .... like i said foutus could throw the ball but couldn't win .... it is all well and fine to say he is a great quaterback but at the end of the day you are paid to win .... sub par teams ... lol ... making excuses now...http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia1984.htm
    From your site that lists Elway as the best QB ever:

"However, Elway did have maybe the best TE ever in Shannon Sharpe and never came close to winning the Super Bowl prior to the arrival of Terrell Davis. "

"If this were just a statistical competition Dan Marino would be the best ever"

And by you saying that you would rather have "stabler" or "namath" just proves to me that you either don't watch too much football or are older than 50. Not bashing, just making an assumption.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"However, Elway did have maybe the best TE ever in Shannon Sharpe and never came close to winning the Super Bowl prior to the arrival of Terrell Davis. "

And by you saying that you would rather have "stabler" or "namath" just proves to me that you either don't watch too much football or are older than 50. Not bashing, just making an assumption.
    Elway never won the big one because he kept running into better QBs than himself in Montana and I believe Aikman, might be wrong on Elway and Aikman hooking up in an S.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

assumptions about me will not make marino a better quaterback ....

i can here him now at the quater backs old folks home .... "i had better stats" ....LOL

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    No, if Montana had been a Dolphin the Dolphins would've won 5 S.B.'s by now, Montana engineered more two minute game winning drives than anyone in history.

Marino choked by never winning the big 1, hell he only got to the S.B. 1 time(took a beating from the Niners and Montana BTW) and I believe that was his only trip to the AFC title game that year too.

My point is that a special QB finds ways to win games despite who is around him, Brett Farve is a perfect example, he's had ok personnel around him during his career but he always found a way to win despite the personnel.

IMO Marino was a good QB but not a special one, he's overrated as far as how history views his career. I hold Jim Kelly in higher esteem.

You contridict yourself so many times in this post I don't know where to start. And actually, I think you are just one of those people who dislike Marino because they was always talk about him and you weren't a Dolphin of Marino fan.

Why do you think that Montana would have won 5 rings with the dolphins even though he won only 4 with the 49ers?

Sorry, QB's with the most 4th quarter comebacks:

1. Elway
    2.Marino
    3. Brady (I believe it's brady, I could be wrong)

Marino got to the big one only once because he didn't have the support Montana had. Yes, the 49ers beat the DOLPHINS in the super bowl. Marino's rookie season BTW. And why? Because the dolphins "D" was ranked 22nd in the league. 49ers was ranked 2nd. The 49ers had a running game. They had TWO guys with nearly 1000yrds. (Craig had over 1000 and I can't remember who had almost 1000) Dolphins, no running game, leading rusher-~650yrds. YET, they still made it to the SB. If Marino had been playing for the 49ers and Montana for the Dolphins, the 49ers would have still won.

Marino made it to the AFC championship twice. The second time was after his achilles injury. He was never the same after that. That's another thing, Montana was lucky enough to not have had any big injuries. Also, what did Montana do for the Chiefs?? NOTHING!! You know why? The CHIEFS SUCKED! Just liked the Dolphins.

You're point is moot. A good QB is only as good as those around him. Although, a great QB will make an average team better. Football is not tennis. It is a TEAM sport. I mean, from what you're saying Montana could have went out to my neighborhood and picked up some guys and won the super bowl with them. Doesn't make since. I realize that this is all spectulation since marino never played for any other teams...although Montana did..and we see where that got him.

Marino won more games than Brett. So what you are saying makes no sense. Brett won one super bowl yes but Brett Favre's Super Bowl team had everything. From great recievers to a 1500yrd rusher to a great "D". since then he has had no team. And he has won no super bowls. I guess Brett is a "choker"?

Kelly was a great QB and that Bills team does not get the credit they deserve for making it to the SB 4 years in a row. Although, I'm guessing you think they suck because they never won the big one.

People who know little about football will always say Dan was "overrrated" because he never won the "Big One". Well, the DOLPHINS never won the big one. Marino holds almost every important QB record there is. He is, arguably, the best QB ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Elway never won the big one because he kept running into better QBs than himself in Montana and I believe Aikman, might be wrong on Elway and Aikman hooking up in an S.B.

You think Aikman was better than Elway?????

So, you also think Doug Williams was a better QB than Elway? I mean, the redskins, with Doug Williams beat the shit out of Elway and the Broncos.

Also, Phil Simms???
    Last edited by grunt; 03-31-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

assumptions about me will not make marino a better quaterback ....

i can here him now at the quater backs old folks home .... "i had better stats" ....LOL

So you're saying you base how good a QB is on how many Super Bowls they've won?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While we are at it. Since you guys both believe you can only be a great QB if you have won a SB:

Len Dawson
    Jim Plunkett
    Joe Theismann
    Jim McMahon
    Mark Rypien
    Jeff Hostetler
    Kurt Warner
    Trent Dilfer
    Brad Johnson
    Ben Roethlisberger

All of the above guys are better than Marino. Because they won a super bowl. Please.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You contridict yourself so many times in this post I don't know where to start. And actually, I think you are just one of those people who dislike Marino because they was always talk about him and you weren't a Dolphin of Marino fan.

Why do you think that Montana would have won 5 rings with the dolphins even though he won only 4 with the 49ers?

Sorry, QB's with the most 4th quarter comebacks:

1. Elway
    2.Marino
    3. Brady (I believe it's brady, I could be wrong)

Marino got to the big one only once because he didn't have the support Montana had. Yes, the 49ers beat the DOLPHINS in the super bowl. Marino's rookie season BTW. And why? Because the dolphins "D" was ranked 22nd in the league. 49ers was ranked 2nd. The 49ers had a running game. They had TWO guys with nearly 1000yrds. (Craig had over 1000 and I can't remember who had almost 1000) Dolphins, no running game, leading rusher-~650yrds. YET, they still made it to the SB. If Marino had been playing for the 49ers and Montana for the Dolphins, the 49ers would have still won.

Marino made it to the AFC championship twice. The second time was after his achilles injury. He was never the same after that. That's another thing, Montana was lucky enough to not have had any big injuries. Also, what did Montana do for the Chiefs?? NOTHING!! You know why? The CHIEFS SUCKED! Just liked the Dolphins.

You're point is moot. A good QB is only as good as those around him. Although, a great QB will make an average team better. Football is not tennis. It is a TEAM sport. I mean, from what you're saying Montana could have went out to my neighborhood and picked up some guys and won the super bowl with them. Doesn't make since. I realize that this is all spectulation since marino never played for any other teams...although Montana did..and we see where that got him.

Marino won more games than Brett. So what you are saying makes no sense. Brett won one super bowl yes but Brett Favre's Super Bowl team had everything. From great recievers to a 1500yrd rusher to a great "D". since then he has had no team. And he has won no super bowls. I guess Brett is a "choker"?

Kelly was a great QB and that Bills team does not get the credit they deserve for making it to the SB 4 years in a row. Although, I'm guessing you think they suck because they never won the big one.

People who know little about football will always say Dan was "overrrated" because he never won the "Big One". Well, the DOLPHINS never won the big one. Marino holds almost every important QB record there is. He is, arguably, the best QB ever.
    Little about football? I said I believed that that was his only trip to the AFC title game which means I could be wrong.

Montana didn't win anything with the Chiefs because those were the last couple years of his in the NFL, knees were shot among other things, if not I guarantee the Chiefs would've tasted success under Montana.

Marino won more games than Farve, still didn't win the big one and Brett did, so yeah i'm saying that Farve is a better QB than Marino.

Ok wrong on the two minute drive stat, point was that Montana got it done when it had to be done.......Marino didn't. Marino can have all the stats in the world but he lacks the 1 thing that legitimizes him......a ring, without that he's the same as Bubby Brister lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

While we are at it. Since you guys both believe you can only be a great QB if you have won a SB:

Len Dawson
    Jim Plunkett
    Joe Theismann
    Jim McMahon
    Mark Rypien
    Jeff Hostetler
    Kurt Warner
    Trent Dilfer
    Brad Johnson
    Ben Roethlisberger

All of the above guys are better than Marino. Because they won a super bowl. Please.....
    Yep. Stats or no stats it gives them a leg up on Danny Boy.

If Marino was so influential aqnd so damn good how come he never pressured the Dolphins into getting him these things you say he needed in order to win the S.B.? Was it because the Dolphins knew if they did they still didn't have a QB who could win the big one so why waste the time and money?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Little about football? I said I believed that that was his only trip to the AFC title game which means I could be wrong.

Montana didn't win anything with the Chiefs because those were the last couple years of his in the NFL, knees were shot among other things, if not I guarantee the Chiefs would've tasted success under Montana.

Marino won more games than Farve, still didn't win the big one and Brett did, so yeah i'm saying that Farve is a better QB than Marino.

Ok wrong on the two minute drive stat, point was that Montana got it done when it had to be done.......Marino didn't. Marino can have all the stats in the world but he lacks the 1 thing that legitimizes him......a ring, without that he's the same as Bubby Brister lol.
    Elway won TWO Super Bowls his last two years. So what are you saying? Elway was better than Montana?

You lost all credibilty when you just flat out stated that Marino is not a great QB and Montana is the best ever. I stated that Marino is ARGUABLY the best. I know they is always going to be a debate on this subject. As does every other person who knows anything about football.

You contridict yourself here, yet again, You said great QB's find a way to win in an earlier post....Marino won more games than Brett, yet you say Brett is the better QB? You have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep. Stats or no stats it gives them a leg up on Danny Boy.

If Marino was so influential aqnd so damn good how come he never pressured the Dolphins into getting him these things you say he needed in order to win the S.B.? Was it because the Dolphins knew if they did they still didn't have a QB who could win the big one so why waste the time and money ?
    This futher proves my point. You know nothing about football. Marino took LESS money and or restructured his contract MANY times in order to try and get some more talent in there. The Dolphins always picked wrong.

"they still didn't have a QB who could win the big one so why waste the time and money "

LMFAO!! Is that what you believe? HAHAHAHAH!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NFL records set by Dan Marino
    (Note: This list documents records set by Dan Marino. Some of the records have since been broken.)

Most Attempts, Career: 8,358[8]
    Most Completions, Career: 4,967[9] (since broken by Brett Favre in 2006)
    Most Yards Passing, Career: 61,361[10]
    Most Touchdown Passes, Career: 420[11]
    Most Passing Yards, Season: 5,084 in 1984[10]
    Most Touchdown Passes, Season: 48[11] (since broken by Peyton Manning 49)
    Most Games, 400 or more Yards Passing, Season: 4 in 1984
    Most Games, 300 or more Yards Passing, Career: 60
    Most Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 13 (1984-92, 1994-95, 1997-98) (since broken by Brett Favre 15)
    Most Consecutive Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 9 (1984-92) (injury stopped streak continued for three seasons after injury, since broken by Brett Favre 15)
    Most Games, Four or more Touchdown Passes, Career: 21
    Most Games, Four or more Touchdown Passes, Season: 6 in 1984
    Lowest Percentage, Passes Intercepted, Rookie Season: 2.03 in 1983 (296-6)
    Most Seasons Leading League, Attempts: 5 (1984, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1997)[8]
    Most Seasons Leading League, Completions: 6 (1984-86, 1988, 1992, 1997)[9]
    Most Seasons, 40 or more Touchdown Passes: 2 (1984, 1986)[11]
    100 TD Passes in Fewest Amount of Games to Start Career: 44 (9/7/86 at San Diego)
    200 TD passes in Fewest Amount of Games to Start Career: 89 (9/17/89 at New England)
    300 TD passes in Fewest Amount of Games to Start Career: 157 (9/4/94 vs. New England)
    Highest TD-INT differential: +168

NFL records tied
    Most Seasons Leading League, Yards Gained: 5 (1984-86, 1988, 1992) with Sonny Jurgensen (Philadelphia, 1961-62; Washington, 1966-67, 1969)
    Most Consecutive Seasons Leading League, Completions: 3 (1984-86) with George Blanda (Houston, 1963-65)
    Most Consecutive Games, 400 or more Yards Passing: 2 (1984) with Dan Fouts (San Diego, 1982) and Phil Simms (N.Y. Giants, 1985)
    Most Wins against one team: 22 against the Indianapolis Colts ( Brett Favre vs. the Chicago Bears)

Additional statistics

Named NFL Most Valuable Player (1984)[12]
    Played 242 games, starting 240 of them
    Career completion percentage of 59.4%[3]
    Career passing efficiency rating is 86.4
    Threw 252 interceptions in his career[3]
    First QB in NFL history to have six 4,000-yard seasons (1984-86, 1988, 1992, 1994)
    Only QB in NFL history to pass for 5,000 or more yards in a single season (5,084 in 1984)[10]
    Led 37 fourth-quarter comeback victories, second only to John Elway.
    Holds Dolphins team record for most seasons played, 17.
    Had 116 wins under Don Shula – the most by a head coach - quarterback combination in NFL history.
    Won the AFC Offensive Player of the Week honor 18 times in the regular season (and 20 times overall, including playoffs).
    Started 240 Regular Season Games and Held a 147-93 record as a starter (second to John Elway's NFL-best 148-82-1 regular season record)
    One of only six quarterbacks in NFL history to achieve two consecutive (back-to-back) 30-touchdown passing seasons (the others are Steve Bartkowski,[13] Brett Favre,[14] Dan Fouts,[15] Jeff Garcia,[16] Y.A. Tittle.[17]).
    For perspective, his 61,361 career passing yards is the equivalent of having passed his way across the state of Rhode Island
    Last edited by grunt; 03-31-2007 at 01:56 PM.