204 Post(s)

Default Good News On Bio-Fuel Front

Bio-fuels may be a good idea, but not 'food based' ones:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/ju...er-ut-project/
    DuPont-Danisco to partner with UT project

Associated Press
    Originally published 02:10 p.m., July 23, 2008
    Updated 02:10 p.m., July 23, 2008

DuPont Co. has joined a state initiative to build the first pilot-scale biorefinery in the U.S. that would take corncobs and switchgrass grown on Tennessee farms and convert the biomass into ethanol for fuel.

The announcement today by Gov. Phil Bredesen and DuPont officials marks a change in development partners for the University of Tennessee-managed cellulosic ethanol project.

The project has received a $40.7 million commitment from the state and a $26 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I remember reading this before. I would definitely support this type of biofuel. I just think turning food into fuel is stupid.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I asked my brother-in-law about turning corn stalks and cobs into ethanol, thus doubling the return of fuel per acre on corn crops.....he mentioned that the biggest problem in doing so is that current ag procedures rely on the stalks and cobs (chopped up in the harvesting process) being turned back into the soil to replenish it's make-up.......if the soil is deprived of this material it will only be a few years before it turns into the dust that plagued the plains states in the 30s.........

switchgrass, grown on soil too arid to raise food crops, is a much better alternative....particularly when cut high enough that the plant become a perennial and bare soil doesn't get an opportunity to erode......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    switchgrass, grown on soil too arid to raise food crops, is a much better alternative....particularly when cut high enough that the plant become a perennial and bare soil doesn't get an opportunity to erode......
    Agreed. And as I recall, it could be harvested rather frequently when compared to other crops.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why not sugar-beet ethanol? I mean, there isn't much that is made out of beet-sugar, not enough to really impact much. I though Brazil was using it and it so far has been successful?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

because sugar beets are grown on the same type of ground that food crops grow on....converting land to sugar beet growth has the same result as converting it to corn growth.....

you have to remember that before ethanol not much was made out of corn either......the price was static for nearly thirty years and the government had to subsidize farmers so they wouldn't go broke.....
    ...full immersion.....