Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

John Mayall - as a singer, guitarist, harp player, and songwriter - was OK; nothing to write home about. But, damned if he didn't have a knack for finding and assembling some of the finest talent in the world. Clapton, Beck, Page, and Mick Taylor all pulled their time in Mayall School.

But, the best blues jam I ever heard was "Good Time Boogie", from Mayall's 1971 live album, Jazz-Blues Fusion. I don't remember all the players, but the ones who stood out, in my mind, were:

Freddie Robinson - Gibson 335 guitar. I don't even have the words to describe his playing. Changed his name to Kalik - something or other before he died; I don't know how easy it would be to find his work. Just a true master; a joy to hear.

Ron Selico - drums. The meanest left hand I've ever heard in higher-volume music. Always appropriate; always about the song. All drummers should play this way.

Blue Mitchell - trumpet. Anybody with the balls to call himself "Blue" had better be able to play. He could.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JM ws just becoming in the little light of mainstream when I left for the Air Force in 1968. His music, whether about him or his accompanyists, was phenomenal and magical to this old Jimi Hendrix junkie. When I came back home in 1972 I didn't hear much about JM but was caught up in the lounge acts and disco of the period. I made some easy bread then and have never gotten back to the pure music for the sake of music era that I left in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    John Mayall - as a singer, guitarist, harp player, and songwriter - was OK; nothing to write home about. But, damned if he didn't have a knack for finding and assembling some of the finest talent in the world. Clapton, Beck, Page, and Mick Taylor all pulled their time in Mayall School.

But, the best blues jam I ever heard was "Good Time Boogie", from Mayall's 1971 live album, Jazz-Blues Fusion. I don't remember all the players, but the ones who stood out, in my mind, were:

Freddie Robinson - Gibson 335 guitar. I don't even have the words to describe his playing. Changed his name to Kalik - something or other before he died; I don't know how easy it would be to find his work. Just a true master; a joy to hear.

Ron Selico - drums. The meanest left hand I've ever heard in higher-volume music. Always appropriate; always about the song. All drummers should play this way.

Blue Mitchell - trumpet. Anybody with the balls to call himself "Blue" had better be able to play. He could.
    All the jammers you mention are legends by their own rights. PsychoBLUES can jamm, too, I want you to know. Drums (my true talent and love), guitar, keyboards, vocals, sound, lights, set up and promotions are no strangers to PsychoBLUES. I still LOVE it but I'm too old and tired to chase it.

May the lord bless the jamm and the jammers. The lord knows they deserve it.