Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Congress 'apologizing' for Slavery and Jim Crow

Is this how we bring about unity for our country? By laying on the white guilt on our young generation that had nothing to do with any of this nonsense?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House of Representatives was poised Tuesday to pass a resolution apologizing to African-Americans for slavery and the era of Jim Crow.

The House is poised to pass a resolution that would apologize for slavery and Jim Crow.

The nonbinding resolution, which is expected to pass, was introduced by Rep. Steve Cohen, a white lawmaker who represents a majority black district in Memphis, Tennessee.

While many states have apologized for slavery, it will be first time a branch of the federal government will apologize for slavery if the resolution passes, an aide to Cohen said.

By passing the resolution, the House would also acknowledge the "injustice, cruelty, brutality and inhumanity of slavery and Jim Crow."

Jim Crow refers to a period after slavery was abolished in 1865 to the 1960s when African-Americans were denied the right to vote and other civil liberties and were legally segregated from whites.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/...ery/index.html

Just because Congress says "We're sorry", is that going to really change anything?
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The Civil War wasn't enough of an apology?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I refuse to apology for something I never did.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    Is this how we bring about unity for our country? By laying on the white guilt on our young generation that had nothing to do with any of this nonsense?

Just because Congress says "We're sorry", is that going to really change anything?
    Unbelievably stupid. Congress did not pass Jim Crow laws or establish slavery. The Southern legislatures could apologize for Jim Crow, but even they weren't the ones to 'establish slavery.' Just an attempt to garner votes. Again, an assumption of elites on the stupidity of their inferiors.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only thing this is going to do is bring up a bunch of lawsuits. People who were never held as slaves taking people who never owned slaves to court.

Any mother will tell you that a wound will never heal if you keep picking at it. Let it heal already. If they don't let it heal, I don't expect any calls for apologies from the Arabs that continued slave trading after the U.S. stopped, or the Africans that sold them into slavery to begin with.
    "The most urgent problem today is how to limit and discourage the over-fertility of the mentally and physically defective. Possibly drastic and Spartan methods may be forced upon American society if it continues complacently to encourage the chance and chaotic breeding that has resulted from our stupid, cruel sentimentalism." - From The Pivot of Civilization by Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

All this is about is causing guilty feelings in people so that they feel like they owe Barry their votes.

Personally I am so sick of this insanity. If they don't like it here send them back to the country of their origin.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Unbelievably stupid. Congress did not pass Jim Crow laws or establish slavery. The Southern legislatures could apologize for Jim Crow, but even they weren't the ones to 'establish slavery.' Just an attempt to garner votes. Again, an assumption of elites on the stupidity of their inferiors.
    Correct, in fact it was usually the Federal courts that ruled such laws as unconstitutional.

But when have the facts ever mattered to Democrats?
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

But when have the facts ever mattered to Democrats?

Oooo Oooo Oooo
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its amazing. We have $4 gas and they have time for this.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and then they will kiss every black man's ass

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    All this is about is causing guilty feelings in people so that they feel like they owe Barry their votes.

Personally I am so sick of this insanity. If they don't like it here send them back to the country of their origin.
    Bingo----heaps some coals on that white guilt fire so everyone will see that Barry represents someone who is OWED.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Slavery is alive and well in the middle east. What are they going to do about that?

Something tells me there's going to be a big upsurge in white supremacy groups in the near future.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Slavery is alive and well in the middle east. What are they going to do about that?

Something tells me there's going to be a big upsurge in white supremacy groups in the near future.
    Slavery is alive and well here in America. It goes by a different name. Illegal Immigration.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Slavery is alive and well here in America. It goes by a different name. Illegal Immigration.
    but we are required to support that slavery. Thats what our politicians say atleast. otherwise we are racist.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Yep that too. Thought about adding that as well but decided it would get us off on a tangent.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.