Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default LA Blocks New Fast-Food Outlets From Poor Areas

LA goes on a diet!!!!!!!! Ain't nothing new about that!!!!!!! But now diets will be enforced by LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By CHRISTINA HOAG
    Associated Press Writer

Matt Sayles

LOS ANGELES -- City officials are putting South Los Angeles on a diet. The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to place a moratorium on new fast food restaurants in an impoverished swath of the city with a proliferation of such eateries and above average rates of obesity.

The yearlong moratorium is intended to give the city time to attract restaurants that serve healthier food. The action, which the mayor must still sign into law, is believed to be the first of its kind by a major city to protect public health.

"Our communities have an extreme shortage of quality foods," City Councilman Bernard Parks said.

Representatives of fast-food chains said they support the goal of better diets but believe they are being unfairly targeted. They say they already offer healthier food items on their menus............

Much More: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/top-...ry/621562.html

I didn't know there were fat people in LA?!?!?!?????!??! I haven't ever seen any of them there!!!!!!!! You want to see fat folks, go to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Part of me likes the fact that these obese pukes are going to be forced to actually make the choice to cook for themselves and eat healthier for a change so we don't end up wasting millions of tax dollars on their medicare-funded cholesterol purges, but the rest of me says the government has no right to do this.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know what you mean, hibbit, but I think you will always have a problem with healthcare. Not getting on you or anything, but you don't demonstrate healthy habits to me. Maybe you ought to go see your doc and get a good checkup?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    I know what you mean, hibbit, but I think you will always have a problem with healthcare. Not getting on you or anything, but you don't demonstrate healthy habits to me. Maybe you ought to go see your doc and get a good checkup?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!
    Hm, my problem with this is the government enforced law on it, it leads to a bad place, and leads to an expanding of that law to areas outside of the poor sections. It becomes an intrusion on fundamental liberties of choice to eat healthy or eat poorly.

It is well meaning, I give it that, but think about this: The Income Tax originally effected only those who made over $200k a year, and back in 1914, that was a perishingly small number of people, and let's look where that has led.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The legislators that passed the law are also elected by the very same constituency the law effects, ds'72. The work of the people is sometimes a very strange and convoluting exercise in judgement and responsibility. Believe me. I've been there and done that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So all in the name of 'health care', the government is going to control people's everyday actions. How anyone could possibly be in favor of such unconstitutional measures is beyond me....
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    So all in the name of 'health care', the government is going to control people's everyday actions. How anyone could possibly be in favor of such unconstitutional measures is beyond me....
    This is so typical of libs. They believe the folks are to stupid to make the correct choices in life, so the liberal nanny state will have to make the choices for them

I wonder if libs will ban all gay clubs since AIDS is a major health issue, and it is mostly gays who are infected through their own actions? Probably not

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder if the members of the City Council have control of any of the fast food restraurants in South L.A. This would be one way to stem new incoming competition. The people of South L.A. are not going to stop eating fast food because of this, they simply are not going to have the choice of going to a new, cleaner restraurant.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey, who the hell needs jobs anyway..

Isn't living in a Nanny State GRAND....
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Hey, who the hell needs jobs anyway..

Isn't living in a Nanny State GRAND....
    With libs running everything we will all be on welfare - but hey we will have Obamacare

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

OH MAN!!! Now where are the illegals gonna work.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you ever been to South LA, Hawk? Trans fats and fast foods ain't the only problem there!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    But, you gotta start somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The legislators that passed the law are also elected by the very same constituency the law effects, ds'72. The work of the people is sometimes a very strange and convoluting exercise in judgement and responsibility. Believe me. I've been there and done that.
    Same with the income tax.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm so fuckin' sick of you fearmongers trying to scare people about the income tax!!!!! How else is the government supposed to operate? It is the fairness of the tax that is open for debate. The fact that it exists and will for the foreseeable future continue to exist is not on the front burner at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Same with the income tax.
    Paying tax and kickin' ass, American Style:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm so fuckin' sick of you fearmongers trying to scare people about the income tax!!!!! How else is the government supposed to operate? It is the fairness of the tax that is open for debate. The fact that it exists and will for the foreseeable future continue to exist is not on the front burner at this point in time.

Paying tax and kickin' ass, American Style:
    I was using an example, and that you for reinforcing it with a, "well there's nothing we can do, so why bother" apathy run.

What's the fear here, PB? Do you realize we manage to not only exist, but have thrived, and achieved most of our landmass prior to income tax? How do you explain that one?

Beyond which, the income tax is outmoded, and punishes the exact behavior we should be rewarding.

Now, as an ancillary note, you should have looked to my sig line, www.FairTax.org

I in no way expect the government to run on nothing, but do I believe in a tax system that punishes to making money, working hard, saving, investing, and otherwise being responsible with my funds? No, and it is ridiculous to think that I would. As long as you maintain this belief that nothing will change PB, guess what, it never will. And if you aren't willing to go against the tide, why the hell are you on this forum?

Now, back to the matter at hand, the point I was trying to make is that, yes, politicians will attempt, especially these days, use just about anything, however minute, as a reasoning to increase governmental power. As well, California already has the largest state government in the country, and seem to be expanding even more. What is it, 1 in 5 are now government workers? How long till its 1 in 4?
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org