Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Okay, after a quick visit to Mazda USA's website, it appears as though the only Mazda using the rotary engine is the RX8. The Renesis, as described in Manu's post.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    WRONG!

[edit] Fuel consumption and emissions
    In Mazda's RX-8 with the Renesis engine, fuel consumption is now within normal limits while passing California State emissions requirements. The exhaust ports, which in earlier Mazda rotaries were located in the rotor housings, were moved to the sides of the combustion chamber. This approach allowed Mazda to eliminate overlap between intake and exhaust port openings, while simultaneously increasing exhaust port area. The Renesis engine even meets California's Low Emissions Vehicle or LEV standards.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine
    Oh! That hurts. I guess that is what I get for not staying on top of mazda.
    A chance for a new beginning, like a dawn of reconciliation.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    mine works great......120,000 miles and going strong
    I didn't say that it didn't work, just that it's inefficient, as in consuming too much fuel and not burning it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

Effeciency depends on how it's measured. 1.3L @ 215hp is pretty efficient. Now, 215hp for 21mpg (freeway) is NOT efficicent.
    Wow- you need a LOT of education about engines (not to mention basic English). Efficiency is only measured one way: work done / heat energy of the fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    my son would disagree....he is rebuilding a 93 RX7 right now....
    He can disagree all he wants, but he'll be driving fewer miles with his hard earned dollar.

Just as the shape of the Wankel combustion chamber prevents preignition, it also leads to incomplete combustion of the air-fuel charge, with the remaining unburned hydrocarbons released into the exhaust. …However, the less effective sealing of the Wankel is one factor reducing its efficiency, confining its success mainly to applications such as racing engines and sports vehicles where neither efficiency nor long engine life are major considerations…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_..._and_emissions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    He can disagree all he wants, but he'll be driving fewer miles with his hard earned dollar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_..._and_emissions
    not to mention the turbocharger, etc. that he added to it......and I don't even want to know why he says it's top end is 150 mph......
    ...full immersion.....

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Wow- you need a LOT of education about engines (not to mention basic English). Efficiency is only measured one way: work done / heat energy of the fuel.
    Right....because cars/engines are NEVER judged for "FUEL EFFICIENCY"....or any OTHER efficiency.

wow.

Here's the deal - Based on Horsepower per Litre, the engine returns very nice gains. That's efficient. It's efficient in terms of weight and space-saving, too.

You are arguing because you can't be wrong. It's against your nature to be taught anything.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April15 View Post
    Oh! That hurts. I guess that is what I get for not staying on top of mazda.
    Hell, I was still under the impression that they only sold cars and trucks with rotary engines. That's the way it used to be I had no idea it was any different.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Hell, I was still under the impression that they only sold cars and trucks with rotary engines. That's the way it used to be I had no idea it was any different.
    I can't believe mazda ever 'only' used rotary engines across their line up. If you look thru their line, historically, (I can't find the data) any car starting with a letter other than R was a Piston engine, generally. They did have a rotary-powered pick up AND Bus, though.

[edit] this table shows the engines mazda used over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_engines

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Right....because cars/engines are NEVER judged for "FUEL EFFICIENCY"....or any OTHER efficiency.

wow.

Here's the deal - Based on Horsepower per Litre, the engine returns very nice gains. That's efficient. It's efficient in terms of weight and space-saving, too.

You are arguing because you can't be wrong. It's against your nature to be taught anything.
    Wow Darin, you're really getting psychotic over this. You neg rep’d me for my thermodynamically correct assessment, now this. Did you name your girlie car “Christine”?

not to mention the turbocharger, etc. that he added to it......and I don't even want to know why he says it's top end is 150 mph......
    Who pay's the insurance?

My 16 year old is driving my old "Exploder" with only the state mandated insurance and its still $1000/ year. I told him that if he crashes, he drives a dented car, fixes it himself or walks.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Why did he add a turbo to it? 93 RX7s were all turbo'd from the factory. Did he do a single turbo conversion (from the stock twin-turbo set up)?

The turbo will only HELP the engine's "efficiency" if that's what he's after.

One reason I didn't buy an Rx7, however, (I was shopping 93-97 models) was because I'd seen several posts on their forums which amounted to:

"Hey y'all! I've made it 60,000 miles without the apex seals going!"

Replies:

":bs:"

While there have been plenty of advancements in apex-seal and tuning technology, folks with built-up Rotary engines should be prepared to replace stuff. Rotary engines, specifically RX7s, left stock can run very well, for a reasonably long time w/o major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail
    You neg rep’d me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

You need to paint your's red at least, Darin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I can't believe mazda ever 'only' used rotary engines across their line up. If you look thru their line, historically, (I can't find the data) any car starting with a letter other than R was a Piston engine, generally. They did have a rotary-powered pick up AND Bus, though.

[edit] this table shows the engines mazda used over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_engines
    In my mind, everything the sold in the late seventies/early eighties was rotary. Obviously this perception is wrong, but that's the way it seemed to me. Maybe it was due to the popularity of their pick-ups.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    In my mind, everything the sold in the late seventies/early eighties was rotary. Obviously this perception is wrong, but that's the way it seemed to me. Maybe it was due to the popularity of their pick-ups.
    I thought so too, at least back in the 70's when I first heard of Mazda. One of my boyfriends got one for his 16th bd, I know that was rotary, thought they all were.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

y'all know Miatas are Piston-powered, right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

y'all know Miatas are Piston-powered, right?
    Yep. I have the R6, that is too. I can't afford the rotary.

Funny, I tried to find out more about the 70's, found a site called triplezoom or something like that. They speak only of rotary, but then pistons come up. I probably don't know enough about cars to even read it well.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill