Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Fishing

Took my son to the marina this morning to do a little fishing off the pier they have. He's been fishing before but it was always spur of the moment things, and generally with other peoples tackle. I got him his own little pole and reel, bought some minnows and off we went.

You won't get much off of a pier in a marina, but he caught 3 snappers. Little guys but you'd think he caught a shark from his excitement. I only caught one and he's already declared himself a better fisherman! This was his first real "trip" and his first catch. Too bad they were fish only slightly larger than the bait! I'll have to hunt around and find a place to take him for some Largemouth (not OCA) Bass.

All in all, was fun to spend some time with him.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I've never caught a fish. Sounds like fun!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I've caught several, but never baited a hook or took one off the hook! Ewww. Never cleaned a fish either, though I can filet them.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Never? How is that possible? Everyone goes fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I've caught several, but never baited a hook or took one off the hook! Ewww. Never cleaned a fish either, though I can filet them.
    Jordan hooked one by his eyeball this morning, and needless to say, Daddy got "fish guts" all over him!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Never? How is that possible? Everyone goes fishing!
    My uncle, a priest was an avid fisherman. He'd take my brother and I out a few times a summer. He always was 'shushing' me, once he threw me overboard, I was about 8 and on the swim team. Of course when I got in the boat I told him my splash scared away the fish, not my mouth!

Jordan hooked one by his eyeball this morning, and needless to say, Daddy got "fish guts" all over him!
    I do believe I could get sick. LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ha, sounds fun. I always liked going up to the lake with Dad when he had that pontoon boat, though I think he probably thinks I didn't like it that much.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i haven't been fishing in a long time...not that i was that fond of it, but it was good times with my Dad and Grandpa. Jimmy if you really wanna have a good time, you need to try spearing, that is where the fun is at.
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

My husband's father is a huge fishing enthusiast. He has taken my daughter a couple of times and she loves it. Not really the fishing part. Just the "sitting in a boat while grandpa tells you stories" part.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I was taught very early on (like 7 or so) how to do everything in relation to fishing. Otherwise I couldn't go. I had to know how to set up my own line, bait my own hook (I refuse to use grubs tho...I just can't touch them), take my own fish off, and filet my own fish.

I love fishing, but I don't have much time for it. I will when the kids are older and they can do a little more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyKitten99 View Post
    I was taught very early on (like 7 or so) how to do everything in relation to fishing. Otherwise I couldn't go. I had to know how to set up my own line, bait my own hook (I refuse to use grubs tho...I just can't touch them), take my own fish off, and filet my own fish.

I love fishing, but I don't have much time for it. I will when the kids are older and they can do a little more.
    I guess I was more a princess. LOL! My brother got those things. Then again, he also had to wash dishes, as I would throw up if my hands touched floating things.

Those were good times! Now, well I deal with all sorts of icky.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Guess daddy will be cooking fish for dinner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You've never caught any tuna?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Took my son to the marina this morning to do a little fishing off the pier they have. He's been fishing before but it was always spur of the moment things, and generally with other peoples tackle. I got him his own little pole and reel, bought some minnows and off we went.

You won't get much off of a pier in a marina, but he caught 3 snappers. Little guys but you'd think he caught a shark from his excitement. I only caught one and he's already declared himself a better fisherman! This was his first real "trip" and his first catch. Too bad they were fish only slightly larger than the bait! I'll have to hunt around and find a place to take him for some Largemouth (not OCA) Bass.

Excellent Jimmy! My boy just passed his hunter's safety on Sunday so he's all fired up for hunting season which starts in 3 weeks, he loves fishing also but ain't got the finer points yet.

BTW for the largemouth comment, that shit ain't right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very cool Jim! I think I know exactly where you went. I grew up on catching snappers! They are great fun. Give it another month or so and they will be pretty good size!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'll make you a promise Jim, your son will ALWAYS remember this trip and it will always be bigger than any fish he ever catches!
    Last edited by Mr. P; 08-12-2008 at 05:42 PM.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?