Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ex-Marine Decries Prosecution In Civilian Court

This one is just another one ignored by the reichwing msm. War is hell and this Marine Sergeant knows all about it.

Source: Associated Press

Aug 17, 4:26 PM EDT

Ex-Marine decries prosecution in civilian court

By CHELSEA J. CARTER
    AP Military Affairs Writer

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) -- A former Marine sergeant facing the first federal civilian prosecution of a military member accused of a war crime says there is much more at stake than his claim of innocence on charges that he killed unarmed detainees in Fallujah, Iraq.

In the view of Jose Luis Nazario Jr., U.S. troops may begin to question whether they will be prosecuted by civilians for doing what their military superiors taught them to do in battle. Nazario is the first military service member who has completed his duty to be brought to trial under a law that allows the government to prosecute defense contractors, military dependents and those no longer in the military who commit crimes outside the United States.

"They train us, and they expect us to rely back on that training. Then when we use that training, they prosecute us for it?" Nazario said during an interview Saturday with The Associated Press. "I didn't do anything wrong. I don't think I should be the first tried like this," said Nazario, whose trial begins Tuesday in Riverside, east of Los Angeles.

If Nazario, 28, is convicted of voluntary manslaughter, some predict damaging consequences on the battlefield. "This boils down to one thing in my mind: Are we going to allow civilian juries to Monday-morning-quarterback military decisions?" said Nazario's attorney, Kevin McDermott.

Others say the law closes a loophole that allowed former military service members to slip beyond the reach of prosecution. Once they complete their terms, troops cannot be prosecuted in military court. Scott Silliman, a law professor and executive director of the Center on Law, Ethics and National Security at Duke University, says it has little to do with questioning military decisions and everything to do with whether a service member committed a crime. "From a legal point of view, there is no difference in law between war and peace," he said.............

Much More: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US

Although the AP got the story I don't think the Tampa rag reporting it would be considered msm by any stretch!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    This one is just another one ignored by the reichwing msm. War is hell and this Marine Sergeant knows all about it.

Source: Associated Press

Aug 17, 4:26 PM EDT

Ex-Marine decries prosecution in civilian court

By CHELSEA J. CARTER
    AP Military Affairs Writer

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) -- A former Marine sergeant facing the first federal civilian prosecution of a military member accused of a war crime says there is much more at stake than his claim of innocence on charges that he killed unarmed detainees in Fallujah, Iraq.

In the view of Jose Luis Nazario Jr., U.S. troops may begin to question whether they will be prosecuted by civilians for doing what their military superiors taught them to do in battle. Nazario is the first military service member who has completed his duty to be brought to trial under a law that allows the government to prosecute defense contractors, military dependents and those no longer in the military who commit crimes outside the United States.

"They train us, and they expect us to rely back on that training. Then when we use that training, they prosecute us for it?" Nazario said during an interview Saturday with The Associated Press. "I didn't do anything wrong. I don't think I should be the first tried like this," said Nazario, whose trial begins Tuesday in Riverside, east of Los Angeles.

If Nazario, 28, is convicted of voluntary manslaughter, some predict damaging consequences on the battlefield. "This boils down to one thing in my mind: Are we going to allow civilian juries to Monday-morning-quarterback military decisions?" said Nazario's attorney, Kevin McDermott.

Others say the law closes a loophole that allowed former military service members to slip beyond the reach of prosecution. Once they complete their terms, troops cannot be prosecuted in military court. Scott Silliman, a law professor and executive director of the Center on Law, Ethics and National Security at Duke University, says it has little to do with questioning military decisions and everything to do with whether a service member committed a crime. "From a legal point of view, there is no difference in law between war and peace," he said.............

Much More: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US

Although the AP got the story I don't think the Tampa rag reporting it would be considered msm by any stretch!!!!!!!

AP is MSM. When I googled news with the name I got 270 hits. It's been covered.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How many led you back to the Tampa online rag? I haven't seen it anywhere else!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    AP is MSM. When I googled news with the name I got 270 hits. It's been covered.
    I understand AP, kat. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!

Where In The World Did My Little Dog Go:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    How many led you back to the Tampa online rag? I haven't seen it anywhere else!!!!!!!!!

I understand AP, kat. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!

Where In The World Did My Little Dog Go:
    Tampa just picked up the ap, as did the other 269. but you knew that. Now really, I'm off to bed.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just what are you waiting on, kat? A lullaby?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Tampa just picked up the ap, as did the other 269. but you knew that. Now really, I'm off to bed.
    Rockaby Baby, In The Treetop: