Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cancer vaccine being forced on girls

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/...er_vaccine_n_m

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - New Mexico is on the verge of becoming the latest state to require sixth-grade girls to be vaccinated against a sexually transmitted virus that can cause cervical cancer, a spokesman for the governor said Monday.

The state House approved the bill Sunday, and Gov. Bill Richardson will sign it once he receives the legislation, spokesman Gilbert Gallegos said.

"This is an important anti-cancer vaccine, and the governor believes it's imperative for all girls to be protected against cervical cancer," Gallegos said.

He said the bill will go into effect 90 days after it is signed.

Texas is the only state to require the vaccine so far, but other states are considering doing the same. While federal regulators have approved the vaccine, the issue of making it a requirement for girls has been surrounded by controversy.

Merck & Co., the vaccine's maker, said last month that it would suspend a behind-the-scenes lobbying campaign to get states to require it for school-age girls because of pressure from parents and medical groups.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry sidestepped his state's Legislature when he ordered the shots for girls entering the sixth grade there starting in September 2008. He has since had to defend his relationship with Merck; The Associated Press reported Perry's chief of staff met with key aides about the vaccine on the same day Merck's political action committee donated money to the governor's campaign.

It wasn't known if Merck had lobbied New Mexico officials.

Virginia lawmakers passed a similar law, which Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has said he would sign. Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick's budget proposal calls for providing the vaccine for free to all girls 9 to 18 who want it.

Legislation to require the vaccine or promote it have been introduced in other states as well.

The federal government approved Gardasil, a three-dose vaccine that protects against the human papilloma virus, or HPV, in June for females ages 9 to 26. The vaccine protects against HPV strains that cause cervical, vulvar and vaginal cancers and genital warts.

More than 500 cases of mostly minor side effects have been reported in girls and women who got the vaccine. Government health officials said last month that no additional warning labels are needed.
    They want to give a vaccine of an STD to sixth graders. If the parents want their kids to get them great, but I dont think they should be forced to get them. Especially when the virus can be avoided without a vaccine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post

They want to give a vaccine of an STD to sixth graders. If the parents want their kids to get them great, but I dont think they should be forced to get them. Especially when the virus can be avoided without a vaccine.
    True, as its not the public health issue here. Teenage and pre-marital sex is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, yes, many cases of cervical cancer (I think I've read 60-70%) is caused by HPV. So vaccinating women makes sense, to keep cancer rates low. On the other hand, you get HPV through sex. But, let's say that a woman marries a man who, in his younger days, had sex with someone else and became a carrier of HPV. Now, his wife didn't make any immoral choices, but is now at risk of cervical cancer. So, all in all, I think it is a good preventative measure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, yes, many cases of cervical cancer (I think I've read 60-70%) is caused by HPV. So vaccinating women makes sense, to keep cancer rates low. On the other hand, you get HPV through sex. But, let's say that a woman marries a man who, in his younger days, had sex with someone else and became a carrier of HPV. Now, his wife didn't make any immoral choices, but is now at risk of cervical cancer. So, all in all, I think it is a good preventative measure.
    I think the biggest controversy is over much of potential side effect from what I've heard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this is the Gardasil vaccination, then I have no problems making this part of standardized immunization policy. Frankly, the time to have a girl vaccinated is BEFORE she becomes sexually active, as the vaccination is nearly 100% effective when administered to someone without HPV. And although not 100% effective, it seems to greatly diminish the possibility of cancer for women already carrying genital HPV. Something else to consider, right now boosters are scheduled for around 5 years, although the treatment is new enough that the booster time frame may grow larger down the road.

And I know someone probably mentioned the side effects. Again, if this Gardasil, then the only major side effect is temporary soreness around the injection site. If anyone has citations showing other side effects, please post the link.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this becoming a madatory vaccine is a good idea. My state is trying, hope they succede.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Hmmm. Good idea or not, it's a somewhat invasive procedure, so what happened to those feminist chants of "My body, my choice", and "Get your laws off my body". And last but not least, that invisible Constitutional right to privacy that women hold so dear.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Hmmm. Good idea or not, it's a somewhat invasive procedure, so what happened to those feminist chants of "My body, my choice", and "Get your laws off my body". And last but not least, that invisible Constitutional right to privacy that women hold so dear.
    As this would give youngin's less hesitation about having sex with anyone at any time, The femanazis want this done by the guv'mint. Frankly I'm surprised they don't support pole dancing at street corners.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    As this would give youngin's less hesitation about having sex with anyone at any time, The femanazis want this done by the guv'mint. Frankly I'm surprised they don't support pole dancing at street corners.

Rep for that one!

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now what's wrong with pole dancing.

As for this, you can get a religious exemption or whatever. This shot wont make kids wont to have sex. Stupidest thing I ever heard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    Now what's wrong with pole dancing.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    ...This shot wont make kids wont to have sex. Stupidest thing I ever heard.
    That's not what I said. Its just one more barrier to a dangerous and unhealthy activity that is removed.

Did you ever read "Lord of the Flies"? That's the society that you are advocating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No haven't read it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

As cocky SOB said, the time to vaccinate is before girls begin considering sex. If this was an STD effecting males, it would already be law.
    Just another example of the fundies wishing death on people who violate their moral standards.