California union to seek Schwarzenegger recall

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's prison guard union said on Monday it will seek the recall of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger after he ordered a pay cut for its members amid the state's protracted budget deadlock.

Corcoran said prison guards should be exempt from the pay cuts in light of their public safety role. They manage the largest state prison network in the United States, overseeing about 170,000 inmates, a system plagued by overcrowding and frequent violence between rival gang and ethnic groups.

The pay cuts ordered by Schwarzenegger have yet to be implemented while state lawmakers continue to haggle over a compromise budget plan. They must close a shortfall that Schwarzenegger has estimated at $15.2 billion, not including a $2 billion reserve he wants to create.

This is the latest in intimidation tactic after intimidation tactic used by the prison guard union in their never-ending effort to extract a huge pay raise out of the legislature and the governor," Mendelsohn said in a statement. "The governor will not be intimidated by these selfish tactics worthy of a schoolyard bully."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080908/...gger_recall_dc

i have worked with prison law, and i have known prison guards...they are paid WELL, for a tough job. very well. my wife's brother is a guard up in CA, and a few years ago his payed doubled. he makes a good amount. i don't have a problem with that. the problem is the gang mentality of the CA prison guard system. they already make a good chunk of change.

and if their boss cuts the pay, they will recall.

what is the dem position on this?