Just got an email from my Mom that my cat, Virgil, who she has been taking care of for several years has passed away. I know he was suffering, so he is in peace now, but that doesn't make me feel too awfully much better. He was my friend, always was and always will be. I knew this day would come for a little while now but I tried to block it out like it would never happen. I adopted him while living in Virginia back in 1994. He was the coolest little kitty. Loved to play, all day and night, and didn't care if I was sleeping when it was time to pounce. Although he grew up to be a huge cat, and lived with many other cats his whole life, he was always friendly and seemed to respect the other cats and always looked out for the little ones around him. Even when I wasn't at my Mom's for long intervals, he always seemed to know my voice when I showed up and always had a way of looking in my eyes and meowing (likely for food, but I'll keep thinking otherwise). He had a good life, was well taken care of, and sure got his share of treats and naps in the bed. Mom took care of him in the same manner, which of course I'm very grateful for. I'm going to miss him.

Your favorite chair is vacant now...
No eager purrs to greet me.
No softly padded paws to run
Ecstatically to meet me.

No coaxing rubs, no plaintive cry
Will say it's time for feeding.
I've put away your bowl, and all
The things you won't be needing;

But I will miss you little friend,
For I could never measure
The happiness you brought me,
The comfort and the pleasure.