Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Federal Drug War Rethought

Bob Barr, out with his opinion/policy statements on teh War on Drugs. Only silence on this issue from McCain and Obama.

---------------
    As both a U.S. Attorney and Member of Congress, I defended drug prohibition. But it has become increasingly clear to me, after much study, that our current strategy has not worked and will not work. The other candidates for president prefer not to address this issue, but ignoring the failure of existing policy exhibits both a poverty of thought and an absence of political courage. The federal government must turn the decision on drug policy back to the states and the citizens themselves.

Link

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    Bob Barr, out with his opinion/policy statements on teh War on Drugs. Only silence on this issue from McCain and Obama.

---------------
    As both a U.S. Attorney and Member of Congress, I defended drug prohibition. But it has become increasingly clear to me, after much study, that our current strategy has not worked and will not work. The other candidates for president prefer not to address this issue, but ignoring the failure of existing policy exhibits both a poverty of thought and an absence of political courage. The federal government must turn the decision on drug policy back to the states and the citizens themselves.

Link
    As a non user and a never have used individual, I have to say that I think the War on Drugs is a failure, just as the War on Terrorism is going to be a failure.

First Terrorism, the idea of fighting terrorism is great, but, we can't stomp out terrorism and even when we do, we will never know if in fact we have actually defeated terrorism or if the next SOB with a bomb is right around the corner.

Second, Drugs, scanning Mr Barr's statement, I agree with him. The War on Drugs is a failure. Rethinking our methods would help a lot. Return the issue to the states and freedom to the people including the freedom to make stupid decisions. Then the states could allow certain drugs to be marketed and taxed taking the sale of drugs off the black market (which would reduce the cost and crime associated with it) and even more important allow people who are addicted to begin seeking help to break their addictions.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Towards the end of the article, Barr nails it: "treating what is, at base, a moral, spiritual, and health problem as a matter of federal criminal law has solved nothing." People shouldn't use drugs, from a moral and a health standpoint. That doesn't mean the government should lock people up for getting high.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its always going to be ineffective as long as we have an open borders policy. We should also bomb the drug lords in South America.

And Immie, its only called the "War on Terror". Its really a War on Islamic Jihad. But you are right, we won't win until we get a leader and a nation behind him with the will to do what is necessary to win that war - and that would be to wipe out most of the Islamic countries.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    Its always going to be ineffective as long as we have an open borders policy. We should also bomb the drug lords in South America.

And Immie, its only called the "War on Terror". Its really a War on Islamic Jihad. But you are right, we won't win until we get a leader and a nation behind him with the will to do what is necessary to win that war - and that would be to wipe out most of the Islamic countries.
    Is there anyone we shouldn't bomb? Have the Canadians pissed us off lately?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should the government attempt to lock people up that are involved in illegal economic activity?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    Should the government attempt to lock people up that are involved in illegal economic activity?
    Such as what? Fraud? Bribery?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Selling drugs, especially to children.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Selling drugs, especially to childern.
    I would make selling drugs to adults legal. I would not make it legal to sell drugs to children, just as selling tobacco or alcohol to children is not currently legal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Selling drugs, especially to children.
    Mr. Barr addressed that. Also, selling liquor to minors is illegal. I'm sure drug laws would involve the same kind of prohibitions.

Point noted: Hawk and agreed although, not the part about wiping out most of Islamic countries. That is not up to us.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, every drug dealer that is currently selling drugs illegally would become lawful and comply to state laws in regard to selling drugs, declaring revenue and paying taxes?

Making laws that allow drug sells legal will eliminate a black market of drug trafficing?

What percentage of drug users are under 18?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    Mr. Barr addressed that. Also, selling liquor to minors is illegal.
    And that has prevented the use of alcohol by minors?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, every drug dealer that is currently selling drugs illegally would become lawful and comply to state laws in regard to selling drugs, declaring revenue and paying taxes?

Making laws that allow drug sells legal will eliminate a black market of drug trafficing?

What percentage of people who drink alcohol are under 18?

Would making drugs legal and regulated stop illicit drug sales? No, not stop completely, but it would cut it significantly. Putting dope on the market in liquor stores and such would reduce the profit of the black market and most dealers would seek a new line of work. Okay... maybe they would simply fall back on Welfare. Have to think about that.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would every drug dealer become a legitimate businessman? Likely not. But some businesses would begin to sell these drugs, legally - and better quality drugs, at that, in better places than the corner of a rough neighborhood... the thug drug dealers would be run out of business in short order. And those who weren't would, like Al Capone, be brought up on tax evasion charges. Now, I'm no fan of the IRS, but I understand the need for the government to raise revenue, and cheating on taxes like that ought to be punished. The "underground" drug scene would shrink significantly, although I'm sure it wouldn't be eliminated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I am certainly not for prohibition, I do like a beer now and then and also a glass of wine with dinner from time to time. And it is important to recognize that alcohol is legal for sale in the US. I suppose the sale of alcohol is the closest thing of comparision to drugs, therefore there is an argument that because we allow the sale of alcohol we should also allow the sale of drugs.

Ok. I must admitt I'n not a drug user. I have little knowledge of the effects of drugs on the human physiology. But let me ask some question. First of what drugs would be legal? Marijuana, cocaine, meth, crack, LSD, herione? Let's assume all of these drug would be regulated and legal for use. Do drug users use these drugs because of the taste? Do they use these drugs because it compliments a meal? Or is the purpose of using these drug is to soley get high?

Now, is the sole use of alcohol to get high?