Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Cats and Dogs

Is how it was raining here Saturday. We got more rain than they did in Houston, but like most others, that storm was where my attention was at.

Until about 9:30 am, when I attempted to drive to the Hyatt O'Hare, and kept running into closed roads, about 10:30, they closed the last entrance to the airport, so I started home. That normal 30 minute drive took an hour and a half, plowing through 2 sections of 3.5 feet of water. I canceled a trip with a friend and stayed in for the weekend.

Last night I got a call from my principal, no school today! Too many roads are impassable and the public schools closed, so we did too!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't think school would ever be called off here because of rain. We're lucky if snow has any effect.

Seriously though, when I was in my senior year, there was a huge March snowstorm that pretty much shut down the entire metro area AND the suburbs. Guess who's school was the only one open in the state?

Mine.

Even the Minneapolis City schools shut down and they never shut down for anything. A tornado could rip half them out and they would still be open.
    However I couldn't get out of my driveway, as my car's low clearance wouldn't allow. I almost got my step-mom's snowmobile out of the garage and went to school that way, but I would not have any place to park it safely.

So I called my dad at work (he only worked 3 blocks away, & he would take his sled to work during winters) and he said to just stay home. At least until the plows got out to the main roads.

By noon, everything was melting and also being plowed, but all the roads were of fair driveability. So my boyfriend (now husband) and a few friends went to the Mall of America for the day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I just came back from the grocery store. Pretty lucky in this area, we have serious retention prevention for flood control. We didn't lose power, and I have 24 hour battery back up for my pump, so under normal circumstances I should be good to go.

However, in spite of the retention areas two roads were closed, seems the pond and the basement levels of water merged, throwing a rather large subdivision under water. I'm about 40 minutes from my school, five of the teachers live at least 30 minutes away, one an hour. The school is near O'Hare, where the storm seemed to center. Along two main arteries, there is still 6" standing water, wouldn't be good even for school buses, which is why the superintendent closed the schools.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

That must have been a stressful ride home, Kath.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    That must have been a stressful ride home, Kath.
    Not so much today, I know the roads. Saturday? Very. Going through over 3" of water, I was just blessing my son, who I'd only last week been cursing, for switching cars, so I could get his tuned up. I had his '95 Buick for the water works, no leaks, even though over bottom of door. I'm not certain my Mazda would have done the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Not so much today, I know the roads. Saturday? Very. Going through over 3" of water, I was just blessing my son, who I'd only last week been cursing, for switching cars, so I could get his tuned up. I had his '95 Buick for the water works, no leaks, even though over bottom of door. I'm not certain my Mazda would have done the same.
    Yeah, I meant the Saturday trip. I get stressed when I am stuck for a long time in traffic, am lost, or something weird is going on weather-wise.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yeah, I meant the Saturday trip. I get stressed when I am stuck for a long time in traffic, am lost, or something weird is going on weather-wise.
    Great thread idea!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Princess

our Princess passed away today. she had been sick for months. we are deeply saddened to see her go. and will miss her a lot Gary/Dena

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post

Hmmm! I would have thought as fast as you drive you could skip right over the top! Two skips......other side and good to go!
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    our Princess passed away today. she had been sick for months. we are deeply saddened to see her go. and will miss her a lot Gary/Dena
    [/CENTER]
    I'm sorry Namvet. I know how it feels.

She is a very beautiful cat.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post

I agree with Abbey, such a beautiful cat. I'm so sorry for your loss.