Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Obama Tried To Stall Gis' Iraq Withdrawal

wtf??

Comments: 488Read Comments Leave a Comment LONG VIEW: Barack Obama tours Iraq with Gen. David Petraeus in July, when he sought to stall any agreement for US troop withdrawal until President Bush left office.

Last updated: 4:10 am
    September 15, 2008
    Posted: 4:02 am
    September 15, 2008

WHILE campaigning in public for a speedy withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, Sen. Barack Obama has tried in private to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay an agreement on a draw-down of the American military presence.

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

Obama insisted that Congress should be involved in negotiations on the status of US troops - and that it was in the interests of both sides not to have an agreement negotiated by the Bush administration in its "state of weakness and political confusion."

"However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open." Zebari says.

Though Obama claims the US presence is "illegal," he suddenly remembered that Americans troops were in Iraq within the legal framework of a UN mandate. His advice was that, rather than reach an accord with the "weakened Bush administration," Iraq should seek an extension of the UN mandate.

While in Iraq, Obama also tried to persuade the US commanders, including Gen. David Petraeus, to suggest a "realistic withdrawal date." They declined.

read the rest and comments
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/09152008...150.htm?page=0
    Last edited by stephanie; 09-15-2008 at 08:01 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Obama camp hits back at Iraq double-talk claim

WTF?

1 hour ago

PUEBLO, Colorado (AFP) — Barack Obama's White House campaign angrily denied Monday a report that he had secretly urged the Iraqis to postpone a deal to withdraw US troops until after November's election.

In the New York Post, conservative Iranian-born columnist Amir Taheri quoted Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari as saying the Democrat made the demand when he visited Baghdad in July, while publicly demanding an early withdrawal.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview, according to Taheri.

"However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open," Zebari reportedly said.

The Republican campaign of John McCain seized on the report to accuse Obama of double-speak on Iraq, calling it an "egregious act of political interference by a presidential candidate seeking political advantage overseas."

But Obama's national security spokeswoman Wendy Morigi said Taheri's article bore "as much resemblance to the truth as a McCain campaign commercial."

In fact, Obama had told the Iraqis that they should not rush through a "Strategic Framework Agreement" governing the future of US forces until after President George W. Bush leaves office, she said.

read it all here..
    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...O8ZbiFYsnbIl3A
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    WTF?

1 hour ago

PUEBLO, Colorado (AFP) — Barack Obama's White House campaign angrily denied Monday a report that he had secretly urged the Iraqis to postpone a deal to withdraw US troops until after November's election.

In the New York Post, conservative Iranian-born columnist Amir Taheri quoted Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari as saying the Democrat made the demand when he visited Baghdad in July, while publicly demanding an early withdrawal.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview, according to Taheri.

"However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open," Zebari reportedly said.

The Republican campaign of John McCain seized on the report to accuse Obama of double-speak on Iraq, calling it an "egregious act of political interference by a presidential candidate seeking political advantage overseas."

But Obama's national security spokeswoman Wendy Morigi said Taheri's article bore "as much resemblance to the truth as a McCain campaign commercial."

In fact, Obama had told the Iraqis that they should not rush through a "Strategic Framework Agreement" governing the future of US forces until after President George W. Bush leaves office, she said.

read it all here..
    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...O8ZbiFYsnbIl3A
    So considering the red letters, wasn't Obama saying in effect, "No reduction of troops until I TAKE OFFICE?"

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Obama Tried To Stall Gis' Iraq Withdrawal

Was Obama playing politics with the lives of our troops?

If this story has legs, his Presidental bid will be DOA. I wonder if Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann will discusss this story tinight?

OBAMA TRIED TO STALL GIS' IRAQ WITHDRAWAL

WHILE campaigning in public for a speedy withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, Sen. Barack Obama has tried in private to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay an agreement on a draw-down of the American military presence.

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

Obama insisted that Congress should be involved in negotiations on the status of US troops - and that it was in the interests of both sides not to have an agreement negotiated by the Bush administration in its "state of weakness and political confusion."

"However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open." Zebari says.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09152008...wal_129150.htm

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Interresting.......Obama acusing people of nasty politics......and he's doing this.

I'll have to watch Fox tonight, I doubt MSNBC will run the story unless they're forced to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not only is he a liar, but he should be tried for treason.
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Though Obama claims the US presence is "illegal," he suddenly remembered that Americans troops were in Iraq within the legal framework of a UN mandate. His advice was that, rather than reach an accord with the "weakened Bush administration," Iraq should seek an extension of the UN mandate.
    he is slime
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Ah, so now we have "Troopgate". So much more potentially damaging than "Troopergate".
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's see if I have this correct, you and your cohorts believe an Iraqi whose trustworthiness is unknown and whose motive is unclear.

You believe that Obama who voted against the war and wanted the troops home would change his position based on an Iraqi's word. And ask this Iraqi that?

If America elects dumb and dumber, Americans such as yourselves deserve, war, death, deficits, and stupidity as it fits you all to a tee.

I wonder if you fools would buy a car from the same Iraqi!

America for Dummies: A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to further marginalize science and progress in America by supporting creationism (religion) as science.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even if this is true, the title of the thread is a little misleading. He is not trying to delay troop withdrawal, simply delay the agreement (which must come first) for withdrawal of troops. Delaying the agreement would not necessarily delay troop withdrawal as that wasn't going to happen before the election anyway.

If this is true what he was hoping to avoid was the bounce such an agreement would likely give John McCain as if John McCain orchestrated the agreement in the first place.

If this is true, it doesn't say much good about Senator Obama in my books. The withdrawal of troops is not something I want him playing politics with.

Notice 3 (actually 4) "if's" in those paragraphs.

I'll wait and see where this one falls.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Let's see if I have this correct, you and your cohorts believe an Iraqi whose trustworthiness is unknown and whose motive is unclear.

You believe that Obama who voted against the war and wanted the troops home would change his position based on an Iraqi's word. And ask this Iraqi that?

If America elects dumb and dumber, Americans such as yourselves deserve, war, death, deficits, and stupidity as it fits you all to a tee.

I wonder if you fools would buy a car from the same Iraqi!

America for Dummies: A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to further marginalize science and progress in America by supporting creationism (religion) as science.
    so you have proof the iraqi is lying? i can clearly imagine obama playing politics with this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    so you have proof the iraqi is lying? i can clearly imagine obama playing politics with this.

proof? You apparently don't need any proof that he is telling the truth.

I can understand how any presidential candidate would be uncomfortable with his lame duck predecessor signing some agreement in the waning months of his presidency that would end up tying the hands of the incoming president.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    proof? You apparently don't need any proof that he is telling the truth.

I can understand how any presidential candidate would be uncomfortable with his lame duck predecessor signing some agreement in the waning months of his presidency that would end up tying the hands of the incoming president.
    i don't bear the burden of his truth. he is presumed truthful, but you know that already.

it is not surprising you would play politics with soldiers. i guess the president should just completely ignore and do nothing regarding iraq because a new president is coming to office. how sad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    i don't bear the burden of his truth. he is presumed truthful, but you know that already.

it is not surprising you would play politics with soldiers. i guess the president should just completely ignore and do nothing regarding iraq because a new president is coming to office. how sad.
    To MFM they are not soliders - they are infidels

MFM, Durbin, Kerry, Kennedy, Michael Moore, and his fellow band of Merry Men have desired total and complete defeat for our troops in Iraq - now Obama screws them over so he can grab the "credit" for pulling them out

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    To MFM they are not soliders - they are infidels

MFM, Durbin, Kerry, Kennedy, Michael Moore, and his fellow band of Merry Men have desired total and complete defeat for our troops in Iraq - now Obama screws them over so he can grab the "credit" for pulling them out
    right