Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Call For Hearings Into Senator Barack Obama's Violation Of The Logan Act

Write a Letter to Congress : 843 Letters Sent So Far
    We demand that Congress open hearings on Senator Barack Obama's potential violations of the Logan Act.

On at least two separate occasions, as documented by NBC and The New York Post, Senator Barack Obama has attempted to negotiate a delay to U.S. negotiations with Iraq until after the elections.

We feel this is an egregious abuse of his position and in violation of the Logan Act, which by historical judicial interpretation prevents anyone, including members of Congress, from interfering with U.S. negotiations.

First, Enter Your Zip Code to Look Up Your Representatives
    Zip Code:

http://www.rallycongress.com/america...the-logan-act/
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dems have all denied this, head in sand
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

while we're at it throw that SOB Carter in to !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Obama and Biden - what a pair!!

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't the Logan Act (I read it in another thread) speak of acts of private citizens without the approval of the U.S. government?

The fact that Senator Obama is in fact, (how he got there I will never understand) a U.S. Senator means to me that 1) he is not a private citizen and 2) he had approval of the government to proceed as he did.

As for Carter... and then we'd probably have to include Clinton, Bush I as well... it appears to me that they seem to have our government's approval to perform at least humanitarian missions abroad.

If that is the case, then it would seem that the efforts here would be nothing more than spinning your wheels in mud.

Immie

PS I am not excusing the dispicable act of Senator Obama to delay negotiations for the return of our troops. His playing politics with this issue is just plain treason if you ask me.
    Last edited by Immanuel; 09-19-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    Doesn't the Logan Act (I read it in another thread) speak of acts of private citizens without the approval of the U.S. government?

The fact that Senator Obama is in fact, (how he got there I will never understand) a U.S. Senator means to me that 1) he is not a private citizen and 2) he had approval of the government to proceed as he did.

As for Carter... and then we'd probably have to include Clinton, Bush I as well... it appears to me that they seem to have our government's approval to perform at least humanitarian missions abroad.

If that is the case, then it would seem that the efforts here would be nothing more than spinning your wheels in mud.

Immie

PS I am not excusing the dispicable act of Senator Obama to delay negotiations for the return of our troops. His playing politics with this issue is just plain treason if you ask me.
    § 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments.

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

1 Stat. 613, January 30, 1799, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 953 (2004).
    talks about unauthorized persons, not private citizens....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    talks about unauthorized persons, not private citizens....
    Okay, not that significant of a difference as far as I can see. Senator Obama is still a Senator and part of the government. Does it state that the executive branch must give theauthorization?

Just asking questions, not stating facts except the undeniable fact that the Senator is in fact a Senator.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, not that significant of a difference as far as I can see. Senator Obama is still a Senator and part of the government. Does it state that the executive branch must give theauthorization?

Just asking questions, not stating facts except the undeniable fact that the Senator is in fact a Senator.

Immie
    i could be wrong, but i believe the logan act was passed because a senator went to a foreign country and disrupted negotiations or something that the US was involved with.
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i looked it up, the guy was a legislator, later became senator and here is an interesting tid bit from wiki:

In 1975, Senators John Sparkman and George McGovern were accused of violating the Logan Act when they traveled to Cuba and met with officials there. In considering that case, the U.S. Department of State concluded:

The clear intent of this provision [Logan Act] is to prohibit unauthorized persons from intervening in disputes between the United States and foreign governments. Nothing in section 953 [Logan Act], however, would appear to restrict members of the Congress from engaging in discussions with foreign officials in pursuance of their legislative duties under the Constitution. In the case of Senators McGovern and Sparkman the executive branch, although it did not in any way encourage the Senators to go to Cuba , was fully informed of the nature and purpose of their visit, and had validated their passports for travel to that country. Senator McGovern’s report of his discussions with Cuban officials states: "I made it clear that I had no authority to negotiate on behalf of the United States — that I had come to listen and learn...." (Cuban Realities: May 1975, 94th Cong., 1st Sess., August 1975). Senator Sparkman’s contacts with Cuban officials were conducted on a similar basis. The specific issues raised by the Senators (e.g., the Southern Airways case; Luis Tiant’s desire to have his parents visit the United States) would, in any event, appear to fall within the second paragraph of Section 953. Accordingly, the Department does not consider the activities of Senators Sparkman and McGovern to be inconsistent with the stipulations of Section 953.[5]

In 1984, President Ronald Reagan stated that the activities of the Reverend Jesse Jackson, who had traveled to Cuba and Nicaragua that year and had returned with several Cuban political prisoners seeking asylum in the United States, may have violated the Logan Act; but Jackson was never indicted.[1]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Act

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    i could be wrong, but i believe the logan act was passed because a senator went to a foreign country and disrupted negotiations or something that the US was involved with.
    It was passed during John Adams' Presidency. It is named for Dr. George Logan of Pennsylvania, a state legislator, and later US Senator, and pacifist who in 1798 engaged in semi-negotiations with France during the Quasi-War.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i looked it up, the guy was a legislator, later became senator and here is an interesting tid bit from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Act
    Thanks for the info Yurt. So, my understanding is that Senator's Sparkman and McGovern were found not to have been in violation of the act, basically, because they were not negotiating for the U.S. and made it clear that they weren't. However, it does not mean that a Senator could not be charged with violating the act.

As for Senator Obama, then maybe this is something to look into. The possibility that he has interfered in government negotiations may then be considered in violation of the act?

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info Yurt. So, my understanding is that Senator's Sparkman and McGovern were found not to have been in violation of the act, basically, because they were not negotiating for the U.S. and made it clear that they weren't. However, it does not mean that a Senator could not be charged with violating the act.

As for Senator Obama, then maybe this is something to look into. The possibility that he has interfered in government negotiations may then be considered in violation of the act?

Immie
    that is how i view it. the two senators made it clear they weren't acting for the US and the executive branch knew of thier activities. somehow i do not believe those facts match obama at all. i highly doubt though it will be looked at all as you can see from that link, virtually no one ever gets truly charged with it and the left would simply call it a witch hunt etc... but if true, then i think obama should be charged, at a minimum an investigation to determine if the accusation from the iraqi is true.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that is how i view it. the two senators made it clear they weren't acting for the US and the executive branch knew of thier activities. somehow i do not believe those facts match obama at all. i highly doubt though it will be looked at all as you can see from that link, virtually no one ever gets truly charged with it and the left would simply call it a witch hunt etc... but if true, then i think obama should be charged, at a minimum an investigation to determine if the accusation from the iraqi is true.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I don't think that they will look into because if they did a witch hunt is exactly how it would appear and truthfully, I am certain it would draw sympathy votes to Obama.

Although, it appears to warrant at least an investigation.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

/shrugs....if they made it clear that they were NOT working for the government, then obviously they weren't authorized persons.....if they interfered and weren't authorized, then they violated the act.....
    ...full immersion.....