Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Windows 2000 pro

A friend just installed windows 2000 pro on her computer and now can't get back on-line, something about a net work card? Any suggestions?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What brand of computer did she install it on, or what type of motherboard does she have?
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure.... she would need to install the Windows 2000 drivers for that network card - then it should work fine..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Sure.... she would need to install the Windows 2000 drivers for that network card - then it should work fine..
    That's what I thought. I suppose I need to know what type of net work card she has in order ot find the right driver, right? PLS say no...............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Said1 View Post
    That's what I thought. I suppose I need to know what type of net work card she has in order ot find the right driver, right? PLS say no...............
    Yup - you would..... However, it's more probable that the network card is integrated on the motherboard which means you'd either need to:

A: Look up the system model number on the OEM's website (e.g. Dell, Compaq, HP etc) - go to their support page for that particular PC and get the network drivers.

or

B: If it's not a system from a major OEM, go to the company's website who made the motherboard and go to the driver support page for that board and snag the networking drivers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

-Cp beat me to it, excellent advice!

Tell your friend to dump 2000 and go to XP!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

Yeah.. XP would be a far better solution for her - and it more than likely would have the drivers built-in to it for her hardware.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, XP does a better job of auto-detecting the hardware and comes with a better assortment of drivers out of the box.

But if she's stuck with Win2K, just let us know either the make and model of her computer, or the make/model of her motherboard and we should be able to get her going.

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How does a network card have anything to do with getting on-line? Unless you're running a LAN to start with.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    How does a network card have anything to do with getting on-line? Unless you're running a LAN to start with.
    Cable, DSL and wireless modems typically provide an ethernet connection to facilitate connecting them to a router to distribute the connection. While USB connections are also available on many models of these modems, they are becoming less prevalent in the marketplace as just about everyone runs a network these days.

Oh yeah, some internal modem cards present themselves as a network interface card under Windows detection, despite the fact you and I would probably refer to them as modem cards. (Dial-up modems are the exception here, although they get treated as a special class of network interface card by the Windows OS,)

OK, I've had my geeky moment. Time to check the brats on the grill....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Yeah.. XP would be a far better solution for her - and it more than likely would have the drivers built-in to it for her hardware.
    Exactamundo! That was my line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Either you have a modem with a MAC address, and you get assigned an IP address when you dial in, or you have a network card attached to your cable/dsl modem that has a MAC address and gets assigned an IP address. NO IP, no connecty!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A friend just installed windows 2000 pro on her computer and now can't get back on-line, something about a net work card? Any suggestions?
    what is the exact error she is getting? Is there a Local Area Connection icon in her Network Connections? If so what are the settings under its properties?

A quick way to see if she is pulling a valid IP is to do a Start > Run, type in cmd and hit OK. Should pop open a command line window. Type in ipconfig/all , this will show your domain, ip address, dns ect. If the ip address is 0.0.0.0 or a 169.xx.xx.xx then she has no network connection and will need to check the NIC settings.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CockySOB View Post
    Cable, DSL and wireless modems typically provide an ethernet connection to facilitate connecting them to a router to distribute the connection. While USB connections are also available on many models of these modems, they are becoming less prevalent in the marketplace as just about everyone runs a network these days.

Oh yeah, some internal modem cards present themselves as a network interface card under Windows detection, despite the fact you and I would probably refer to them as modem cards. (Dial-up modems are the exception here, although they get treated as a special class of network interface card by the Windows OS,)

OK, I've had my geeky moment. Time to check the brats on the grill....
    Either you have a modem with a MAC address, and you get assigned an IP address when you dial in, or you have a network card attached to your cable/dsl modem that has a MAC address and gets assigned an IP address. NO IP, no connecty!
    I know, I just didn’t see enough information to give advice.. All we have is she 'now' can't connect after installing win 2000pro, upgrade? Is she on a LAN or not? Was everything fine beforehand? Lots of questions to answer before I’d say card or drivers. I mean if she went from win2000 to pro all the drivers would still be there. I would think all settings would also remain, although I've never heard much good about 2000 at all. I'd have to ask; WTF were you thinking when you installed Win 2000?!! I wouldn't be a popular repair person.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She has a samsung thinkmaster 955ds. That's second hand info from her daughter, I hope she got it right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She has a samsung thinkmaster 955ds. That's second hand info from her daughter, I hope she got it right.
    Heh.. that's the model # of her monitor not her PC....