Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default AR15 Shopping...

I've been digging around AR15 forums and M4 sites trying to learn my way around shopping for one. I've found a kit (minus lower reciever) for $610, shipped. That'd leave me sourcing a lower and trigger parts.

I'm a graduate (circa 1993) of the Unit Armorer's course, so I'm pretty sure I'd have little trouble assembling the rifle after sourcing the parts. Thing is, when I purchase a complete rifle it tends to come with a hard case, sling, and a couple magazines.

Cost to build: ~800 bux
    Cost to buy: ~850 bux (for some I've seen, Del-Ton, etc).

I REALLY want (I think?) a Charles Daly Defense DM4 - but it's several hundred bux more expensive than others.

Any input relating to this topic is appreciated
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Assembly is pretty simple.

I bought 5 CMMG lowers for $110/ea. I only built 2 of them, the other 3 are backup lowers in case one of the other should ever wear out since they are aluminum. A steel lower is considerably more expensive in California.

I have a Rock River M4 upper on the one I shoot. My son wanted a traditional A3 look so I built one like that.

I really like the Magpul telescoping stocks.

Spend the money on a good upper. My Rock River M4 upper was $600, Magpul stock was $90, Trigger kit was $50 and The lower was $110. I would add the extended pull pins for disassembly of the upper. If you are going to be using it in a cold climate I have an oversized magazine release I can send you. It's my design and I just got the first batch from the machine shop on Monday.

Check out riflegear.com they have some good prices. Also check MidwayUSA for sales on AR-15 parts.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Thanks a TON CR.

Great info. No cold-weather down here in 'bama.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I actually designed it for use in California. In order to have a pistol grip and telescoping/folding stock the magazine clip cannot be removable. I made so in California it locks the mag in place and for other areas its an oversize button.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

One other thought that I find appealing about building your own. You save 12% because as I understand it there is a 12% federal tax on a finished firearm where if you build it there is just state sales tax if your state has sales tax.
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I haven't seen that show up i my shopping, but will look for it.

Thanks again - which AR forums are you on?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

D, you need to buy the Beowolf upper attachment and then let me shoot it. it's for today's super animals...like flying squirrels.
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759