Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Government; Theocracy; Dictatorship; Monarch

Government: Theocracy; Dictatorship; Monarch; Tribal; Anarchy...you pick the next the one

Government: in that it is a word used to describe control over a people. it is often associated with western civs. if you have something other than government, feel free.

so while you may want to call the other forms of "governance" government, i ask that you pick a set of rules/ideas/beliefs/etc....that you want to see that would allow you to live your life as full as can be.

if you don't know, say so, because i don't. i see no earthly governence as ever truly fulfulling the sons of god via Adam and Eve. what then....to always give unto to ceasar?
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I were able to choose/appoint/create the government, it would look like this:

1. You have the right to your life, liberty, and property. That includes real property, beliefs, and ideas. Do whatever you want with it.

2. Don't screw with anyone else's life, liberty, or property.

3. We will provide the smallest government necessary to protect your life, liberty, and property from threats within (police) and without (military).

4. Have a great life!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't cover all the problem.

I pick dictatorship, because even if things were bad for the rest of the country I'd still be the ruler and living the good life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not sure i understand the original post.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

My first instinct was to say that I favor theocracy because it gives my military units extra strength points which makes taking over neighboring civs just a little easier, but that is an obscure Civ IV reference to few would understand.

Not that we have the humor portion of my post out of the way...

I have to say that I kind of agree with Winston, "Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried." Then again, Franklin was spot on when he described democracy, "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."

All that being said, in a perfect world I would like to see a government that is so good it becomes redundant, unnecessary, obsolete. Or, to quote Johann Goethe, "The best government is that which teaches us to govern ourselves."
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    My first instinct was to say that I favor theocracy because it gives my military units extra strength points which makes taking over neighboring civs just a little easier, but that is an obscure Civ IV reference to few would understand.

I have to say that I kind of agree with Winston, "Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried." Then again, Franklin was spot on when he described democracy, "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."

All that being said, in a perfect world I would like to see a government that is so good it becomes redundant, unnecessary, obsolete. Or, to quote Johann Goethe, "The best government is that which teaches us to govern ourselves."
    i like democracy with religion, science and banks...it filps cities with out war.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    i like democracy with religion, science and banks...it filps cities with out war.....
    But only those closest to your borders. In the later stages I go with the democracy with religion, youstill get the extra strength points.

"I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But only those closest to your borders. In the later stages I go with the democracy with religion, youstill get the extra strength points.

depends how stong your culture is.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    If I were able to choose/appoint/create the government, it would look like this:

1. You have the right to your life, liberty, and property. That includes real property, beliefs, and ideas. Do whatever you want with it.

2. Don't screw with anyone else's life, liberty, or property.

3. We will provide the smallest government necessary to protect your life, liberty, and property from threats within (police) and without (military).

4. Have a great life!
    how would a police force be enough to secure your borders/ideals?
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    Doesn't cover all the problem.

I pick dictatorship, because even if things were bad for the rest of the country I'd still be the ruler and living the good life.
    i like your posts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I am not sure i understand the original post.
    within the confines of a nation state, or border land, or utopia, or the land of avatar, how would you choose to rule or how would you choose your leaders to govern? what would make the best society, if you will, on earth?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no points for civ players

well shite hjmick, what can we say to those quotes? do those quotes bring us any closer to an answer or your idea of what your ideal land/government.....would be?

seems to me, you quotes say:

government, nada, unless it teaches us to govern ouselves, but, a good government is: that is so good it becomes redundant, unnecessary, obsolete.

i don't believe all other forms have been tried, do you?

franklin has a point, not sure it is the point that takes us to the next step.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post

no points for civ players

well shite hjmick, what can we say to those quotes? do those quotes bring us any closer to an answer or your idea of what your ideal land/government.....would be?

seems to me, you quotes say:

government, nada, unless it teaches us to govern ouselves, but, a good government is: that is so good it becomes redundant, unnecessary, obsolete.

i don't believe all other forms have been tried, do you?

franklin has a point, not sure it is the point that takes us to the next step.
    I think that, in leiu of being able to govern ourselves, the system we have is the best one going, flaws and all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

civilizations, havn't played that game in ages. DOn't know if I ever bought 5.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that, in leiu of being able to govern ourselves, the system we have is the best one going, flaws and all.
    fair enough