Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Affirmative action kept me from getting any of the jobs I wanted or was qualified to get without a degree. The only reason I was even able to get in my Union was because my dad and his brothers were members of the same union.

I was straight up told that they could not hire me because I had the wrong anatomy and/or skin color.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    promotions to managment.
    I have worked at more than a dozen UPS facilities. I have worked quite closely with management and engineering and that's just not true, at least in Southern California.

Personally I wouldn't hire any women to work out in the sort other than gangster types. Except maybe small sort. Nearly all the unload, bulk, load crews are gangsters or wanna be gangsters blowing out their backs.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Might not be, just have an office worker uncle always bitching you have to be a minority or women to get promoted because he hasn't been. See it's not his "fault" or limitations, its affirmative action holding him down.

UPS in louisville hires a lot of college, I know of some females who got on but don't think they are working the heavy sorting jobs. That's som hard ass work, lift heavey box, sort and throw box in proper container, repeat for 4 hours staight.
    Last edited by LiberalNation; 11-16-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Women are CEOs, COOs, VPs, CFOs, etc. all over industry. The Army even promotoed a woman to four-star general for the first time in its history. I see no evidence that women are being systematically screwed over (no pun intended) in the workplace.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Ah but Jeff, there has been an increase in the number of threats against PE Obama. Thus we truly are a racist country. There could be no other explanation, right?
    lol, sarcasm aside, I think it's more just the natural reaction of his being a dem. Same would likely have happened to McCain if he'd pulled it out.

The thing I've noticed is that the vast majority of people who objected to him, did not at all object based on his race (other than to poke at the race card being in play, and yes, a few buttholes, but that's just gonna happen.), but mostly about being a liberal democrat, just as liberal dems objected to McCain for being a part of the whole Bush & Co. run.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The problem of affirmative action is that it looks only at numbers to determine whether a company is "racially unbiased", without looking to the individual employees, and their performance on the job. A guy who goes in to work and bitches every day about his job, or his "not getting a break" is simply not going to see promotion if that company has any care for how its facilities are run.

A lot of what halts the advancement of minorities is this odd prevelance of unprofessional habits and speech that simply get marked as a part of their "culture". Well, I'm Irish, so does that mean I get to drink and swear all day at work? No, of course not, that's stupid, and I would never expect that to happen.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org