Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Haystacks

Enjoying haystacks today. wife did not enjoy the coast, it is actually warmer on the coast than here in SLO due to inland winds and she wanted to come home and chill here. so i thought the easiest thing to make and i know she loves them....haystacks.

1. chips - she likes tostitos, me too, but i aslo purchased fresh chips from a great local joint in los osos.
    2. crush chips onto plate
    3. toppings - pretty much anything you like.
    onions, olives, salsa, cheese, mexican rice, beans, sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomatoes....

mine:
    fresh chips lightly crushed on plate
    refried beans (some mexican brand) cooked: add green chiles, sour cream and briefly warm up, hmmmm,
    white onion chopped,
    shredded (kraft, didn't have tillamook mexican blend - really just jack and cheddar) cheese but tillamook cheese is my favorite
    ranchero sauce - from local joint in los osos, hmmmm
    salsa - too lazy to make mine, so from local joint in los osos, hmmmm
    fresh farmers market cilantro, lots
    olives, black, sliced
    shredded lettuce
    sour cream

then lightly mix up and hmmmm.
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I call em Nachos and don't crush em..
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

One of my favorites is to just get a hunk of cream cheese in a bowl, poor salsa all over it, dip in and enjoy. It makes a nice appetizer as well as a meal.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I call em Nachos and don't crush em..
    you put lettuce on nachos?

and yes, they are like nachos , and the crushed chips make it all blend together. you want some?

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    One of my favorites is to just get a hunk of cream cheese in a bowl, poor salsa all over it, dip in and enjoy. It makes a nice appetizer as well as a meal.
    very good, as long as the cream cheese is room tempature.

my favorite store, but unfortunately only by santa cruz, don't live there anymore, fine with that, but do miss the store....

http://www.mipueblofoods.com/

the most awesome store to get mexican food. FRESH. oh man, fresh, sour cream, made there.....
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    you put lettuce on nachos?

and yes, they are like nachos , and the crushed chips make it all blend together. you want some?

very good, as long as the cream cheese is room tempature.

my favorite store, but unfortunately only by santa cruz, don't live there anymore, fine with that, but do miss the store....

http://www.mipueblofoods.com/

the most awesome store to get mexican food. FRESH. oh man, fresh, sour cream, made there.....
    No lettuce on nachos! Yuke...
    Overnight some.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow,that sounds really good Yurt! Now I might have to make a trip up to Wal Mart.....and it's only 9 a.m.!!! A good weekend snack....minus the olives

Tis the season for the munchies!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krisy View Post
    Wow,that sounds really good Yurt! Now I might have to make a trip up to Wal Mart.....and it's only 9 a.m.!!! A good weekend snack....minus the olives

Tis the season for the munchies!!!
    It's true! Last night the kids were not home. Dinner? I wasn't in the mood to 'cook' for myself. Threw in some spinach tarts, crabcakes, and Spanakotyropita, (I do like spinach!). Better than dinner!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    It's true! Last night the kids were not home. Dinner? I wasn't in the mood to 'cook' for myself. Threw in some spinach tarts, crabcakes, and Spanakotyropita, (I do like spinach!). Better than dinner!
    Whats a spinach tart? Sounds interesting

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Whats a spinach tart? Sounds interesting
    I get them at Costco. Little pastry tarts, filled with a spinach/onion quiche like filling. 2 bites each. Yum!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I get them at Costco. Little pastry tarts, filled with a spinach/onion quiche like filling. 2 bites each. Yum!

Ahhhh,my sis in laws sister makes (or buys) something like that for my nephews birthday every year.....they are pretty good. I was actually surprised that I liked them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Ahhhh,my sis in laws sister makes (or buys) something like that for my nephews birthday every year.....they are pretty good. I was actually surprised that I liked them.
    I make a lot of hors d’oeuvres for Christmas, while I still make several from scratch, the variety and cost have made the freezer section very appealing. Have you tried the bacon wrapped scallops or filet bites?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I make a lot of hors d’oeuvres for Christmas, while I still make several from scratch, the variety and cost have made the freezer section very appealing. Have you tried the bacon wrapped scallops or filet bites?
    Ohhh! We are big hors d'oeuvres people too at Christmas. Christmas eve I make all kinds of em. We've never had the scallops or filet bites(my kids are veeery picky). My stuff is pretty simple....salami rolls,chips and dip,finger sammys,Hillshire Farm sausage and sheese on crackers. This year I want to make these little finger thingys that are basically just crescent rolls with cream cheese and bacon bits and maybe a little oniion in them. Cut them into little pieces and they are great!! Maybe a cheese ball too?

I'm thinking about those spinach tarts now and may just have to get some!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Ohhh! We are big hors d'oeuvres people too at Christmas. Christmas eve I make all kinds of em. We've never had the scallops or filet bites(my kids are veeery picky). My stuff is pretty simple....salami rolls,chips and dip,finger sammys,Hillshire Farm sausage and sheese on crackers. This year I want to make these little finger thingys that are basically just crescent rolls with cream cheese and bacon bits and maybe a little oniion in them. Cut them into little pieces and they are great!! Maybe a cheese ball too?

I'm thinking about those spinach tarts now and may just have to get some!!!
    Christmas Eve is usually just my kids, boy/girlfriends and my friend's family. It's super easy Italian. Progresso Minestrone Soup which I spice up a bit, Caesar salad, baked Mostaccoli, and Eli's Cheesecake. Everything is ready in advance.

We don't have any 'little ones' around at the present time and my brother's and my kids are definitely high maintenance when it comes to food. I inherited the Christmas hors d'oeuvres extravaganza from my mom, with certain things required in her memory, (mostly kid friendly): jumbo shrimp, meatballs in a cocktail sauce, Jeno's pizza rolls, (don't ask how those slipped in), and teriyaki chicken wings. I'm sure the 'kids' would love if I'd add sushi, that's not happening. I usually add 5-10 frozen appetizers to the above. Needless to say the dinner menu is easy to prepare and not too rich. Desserts, well that's another story.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Christmas Eve is usually just my kids, boy/girlfriends and my friend's family. It's super easy Italian. Progresso Minestrone Soup which I spice up a bit, Caesar salad, baked Mostaccoli, and Eli's Cheesecake. Everything is ready in advance.

We don't have any 'little ones' around at the present time and my brother's and my kids are definitely high maintenance when it comes to food. I inherited the Christmas hors d'oeuvres extravaganza from my mom, with certain things required in her memory, (mostly kid friendly): jumbo shrimp, meatballs in a cocktail sauce, Jeno's pizza rolls, (don't ask how those slipped in), and teriyaki chicken wings. I'm sure the 'kids' would love if I'd add sushi, that's not happening. I usually add 5-10 frozen appetizers to the above. Needless to say the dinner menu is easy to prepare and not too rich. Desserts, well that's another story.

Meatballs......love em! Hanky Panky is great too. Pizza rolls are a great one for kids.....I don't know a kid or teen that doesn't like those. Another good one that ususally is not at Christmas but birthday parties is taco dip. It has flavored taco meat,taco sause,refried beans,sour cream,and cheddar on top with nacho chips for dipping

Gosh I'm getting hungry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Meatballs......love em! Hanky Panky is great too. Pizza rolls are a great one for kids.....I don't know a kid or teen that doesn't like those. Another good one that ususally is not at Christmas but birthday parties is taco dip. It has flavored taco meat,taco sause,refried beans,sour cream,and cheddar on top with nacho chips for dipping

Gosh I'm getting hungry
    Are we talking that layered taco dip? Required indeed. This year I'm going to make it myself, the price in the stores is crazy for the amount!