Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Commentary: Why we need an obesity tax

remember those cigarette taxes??

By David Paterson
    Special to CNN

Editor's note: David Paterson, a Democrat, is governor of New York.

New York Gov. David Paterson says taxing soft drinks could help combat obesity.

ALBANY, New York (CNN) -- Like many New Yorkers, I remember a time when nearly everyone smoked. In 1950, Collier's reported that more than three-quarters of adult men smoked. This epidemic had a devastating and long-lasting impact on public health.

Today, we find ourselves in the midst of a new public health epidemic: childhood obesity.

What smoking was to my parents' generation, obesity is to my children's generation. Nearly one out of every four New Yorkers under the age of 18 is obese. In many high-poverty areas, the rate is closer to one out of three.

That is why, in the state budget I presented last Tuesday, I proposed a tax on sugared beverages like soda. Research has demonstrated that soft-drink consumption is one of the main drivers of childhood obesity.

For example, a study by Harvard researchers found that each additional 12-ounce soft drink consumed per day increases the risk of a child becoming obese by 60 percent. For adults, the association is similar.

If we are to succeed in reducing childhood obesity, we must reduce consumption of sugared beverages. That is the purpose of our proposed tax. We estimate that an 18 percent tax will reduce consumption by five percent.

Our tax would apply only to sugared drinks -- including fruit drinks that are less than 70 percent juice -- that are nondiet. The $404 million this tax would raise next year will go toward funding public health programs, including obesity prevention programs, across New York state.

read it all here..
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/18/pat...rss_topstories
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What the hell next? Tax, tax, tax..... Peeves me off. If parents would grow the hell up and act responsibily and stop buying that stuff for their kids to drink instead of letting them poke crap food and pop down their pie holes, it would help us not have a high obesity rate. And showing a good example as well by not eating and drinking unhealthy crapola all the time would be a giant plus also. Maybe parents should make their kids go outside and run around and play like we used to do, rather than letting them sit in front of the idiot box or computer for hours on end, getting fatter. Kids need sunlight and exercise and any damn fool should know that. They don't need a candy bar, a bag of chips or an eight pack of pop. What they need are parents that are going to stand up to the plate and make sure their kids get healthy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would very much be interested in beginning a national movement that could achieve those goals that you've clearly laid out there, binky.

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    What the hell next? Tax, tax, tax..... Peeves me off. If parents would grow the hell up and act responsibily and stop buying that stuff for their kids to drink instead of letting them poke crap food and pop down their pie holes, it would help us not have a high obesity rate. And showing a good example as well by not eating and drinking unhealthy crapola all the time would be a giant plus also. Maybe parents should make their kids go outside and run around and play like we used to do, rather than letting them sit in front of the idiot box or computer for hours on end, getting fatter. Kids need sunlight and exercise and any damn fool should know that. They don't need a candy bar, a bag of chips or an eight pack of pop. What they need are parents that are going to stand up to the plate and make sure their kids get healthy.
    I'm going to write to former Senator Daschle right now and give him your suggestions and maybe even a few of my own!!!!!!!!!!! It's damned well time this issue becomes a national priority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I offer you low cal cervasa?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Write until your fingers fall off. Until parents, "manup", so to speak and do what they should've been doing rather than feeling guilty because they have to work and aren't home, nothing will get done. As long as parents keep bringing that crapola into their homes and kids get to have at it as much as they can, the obesity rate is going to keep growing. Less movement and more crapola shoved down their holes is what it's become. Helps to ease the consciences of the parents. Comfort foods. Well, putting on the excessive weight sure ain't all the comfy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it's no one's business if I smoke, overeat, drink too much..

I never had a friggin Nanny, and I damn sure don't need one now..Especially one that is going to make me pay for eating what I feel like.

when will people say, enough..when they start taxing the air you breath??
    Last edited by stephanie; 12-19-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't you think a national health program could identify and help promote some of that, binky?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Write until your fingers fall off. Until parents, "manup", so to speak and do what they should've been doing rather than feeling guilty because they have to work and aren't home, nothing will get done. As long as parents keep bringing that crapola into their homes and kids get to have at it as much as they can, the obesity rate is going to keep growing. Less movement and more crapola shoved down their holes is what it's become. Helps to ease the consciences of the parents. Comfort foods. Well, putting on the excessive weight sure ain't all the comfy.
    Although I am not overweight, at my age I feel like I have a right to be. Do you have any national standards that might dispute that simple feeling of entitlement??!?!?!??!??!??!

Seriously, Binky, you make a lot of sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you know, I don't do "doobies" but I would be happy to offer you something to cool your dry throat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're right, stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    it's no one's business if I smoke, overeat, drink too much..

I never had a friggin Nanny, and I damn sure don't need one now..Especially one that is going to make me pay for eating what I feel like.

when will people say, enough..when they start taxing the air you breath??
    Eat your fat ass up till it fills up your shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Cods for stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even the cranberries are causing her ass to grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Don't you think a national health program could identify and help promote some of that, binky?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!

Although I am not overweight, at my age I feel like I have a right to be. Do you have any national standards that might dispute that simple feeling of entitlement??!?!?!??!??!??!

Seriously, Binky, you make a lot of sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you know, I don't do "doobies" but I would be happy to offer you something to cool your dry throat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

I'm sure having a national program wouldn't hurt. But at some point in time, don't you think it would behoove people to get off their backsides and take control of their weight and lives without having the government intervene? My God, whatever happened to making one accountable for themselves? Now it seems as tho' all we do is cry and whine to Uncle Sam about helping us, as tho' the government is our nurse maid. It's very amazing how lazy we have become over the decades.
    Last edited by Binky; 12-21-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If we want to be lazy, that's our business..as long as you don't expect the taxpayers to pay for your lazy ass...such as sucking off the GOVERMENT TIT..

we are still a FREE COUNTRY, for the time being anyway..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why cant people be free to be fat if they choose?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm getting really tired of rolling these 400lb and up folks around because they've turned their hearts into meat-loaf and think medicine can fix it for them. All because they didn't take responsibility for their own lives and health. Granted, there are valid medical reasons for people becoming morbidly obese, but that's the minority. But sitting in a recliner in your mom's basement and stuffing yourself with Big Mac's until you're 600lbs and have to have a wall cut out of the house and heavy lift equipment to get you into the hospital doesn't qualify.
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bullypulpit View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me. I'm getting really tired of rolling these 400lb and up folks around because they've turned their hearts into meat-loaf and think medicine can fix it for them. All because they didn't take responsibility for their own lives and health. Granted, there are valid medical reasons for people becoming morbidly obese, but that's the minority. But sitting in a recliner in your mom's basement and stuffing yourself with Big Mac's until you're 600lbs and have to have a wall cut out of the house and heavy lift equipment to get you into the hospital doesn't qualify.
    sounds like you are in the wrong field..look for another job if you hate people so much..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love soda, I'm not obese, it's expensive enough already.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bullypulpit View Post
    Bully I couldn't agree with you more. Some people have NO respect for themselves and EXPECT others to do everything for them.... I am quickly developing a bad back due to the size of our patients...

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    sounds like you are in the wrong field..look for another job if you hate people so much..
    Stephanie, you obviously have not been to a hospital lately!! Why should personal working in health fields have to put their health in danger for someone with no other condition than hand-to-mouth disease. It is VERY difficult to move, image, transport, treat, or hell just exam an LARGE patient. It used to be the rare patient like this but it has evolved to be a daily thing. Please I beg you to go spend some time with the people that have to work on these patients daily..
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Stephanie, you obviously have not been to a hospital lately!! Why should personal working in health fields have to put their health in danger for someone with no other condition than hand-to-mouth disease. It is VERY difficult to move, image, transport, treat, or hell just exam an LARGE patient. It used to be the rare patient like this but it has evolved to be a daily thing. Please I beg you to go spend some time with the people that have to work on these patients daily..
    bingo, the nursing home I worked for had to spend thousands on a special mechanical lift for one lady who was to heavy for the others, plenty who couldn't fit thru the shower room door, it was crazy, they were in the home simply because of how fat they were. tffb, to fucken fat to breathe.