Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Many suffered from anti-gay violence in 2008

sad....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081224/...FOOMPqnIRvzwcF

SAN FRANCISCO – From a series of street bashings in Seattle to the baseball bat murder of an Ecuadorean immigrant in New York, episodes of anti-gay violence punctuated a year now ending with police investigating the alleged gang rape of a lesbian near San Francisco.

Advocates said Tuesday they do not know whether the threats, beatings and murders reflect a true rise in attacks or increased reporting of hate-based crimes that persist even as gays gain greater visibility and legal protections.

"When you are talking about hate crimes, people think someone is likely to report it, but in some communities the message is not always clear that our society has accepted LGBT folks," said Sarah Tofte, a researcher at New York-based Human Rights Watch, referring to the acronym for lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people.

In Richmond, the crime-ravaged Bay Area city where the 28-year-old lesbian reported being assaulted by four men 10 days ago, police on Tuesday received so many calls from community members wanting to help that they asked the local rape crisis center to set up a fund to aid her.

FBI statistics show there were 1,265 hate crimes based on sexual orientation in 2007, up from 1,017 two years earlier and 1,239 in 2003. That compares to 3,820 racially motivated incidents in 2007 and 1,400 in which the victim's religion was a factor.

Because not all states allow attacks motivated by anti-gay bias to be charged as hate crimes and because some victims are reluctant to reveal their sexual orientations to police, gay and transgender rights advocates suspect the numbers to be much higher.

The vast majority of brutality against gays is carried out by young men, usually acting in groups, said Riki Wilchins, executive director of Gender Public Advocacy Coalition, a Washington nonprofit that works in schools to address discrimination.

Their victims most often are other young men with feminine demeanors or transgender women, said Wilchins. "These assailants are looking to eradicate and exterminate something that enrages them, and that is what makes them hate crimes," he said.

GenderPAC published a report in 2006 cataloguing the murders of 50 such victims under 30 years old over a 10-year period. The group has identified another 20 murders of "gender non-conforming youth" that have taken place in the two years since, although FBI statistics for the same period show only five hate crime slayings linked to the victim's sexual orientation.

"There has definitely been a huge spike. I don't think anybody knows why," Wilchins said.

Many of the incidents that have captured headlines this year — from the February shooting death of a gay teenager at his Southern California middle school to this month's slaying of a Brooklyn man who was fatally beaten while walking arm-and-arm with his brother — fit Wilchins' profile.

Larry King, the 15-year-old shot by a classmate, wore feminine clothing and makeup. Jose Sucuzhanay, 31, was beaten with a baseball bat in Brooklyn and kicked by three men who jumped out of a car yelling anti-gay and anti-Hispanic slurs.

The unidentified woman who was sexually assaulted in Richmond on Dec. 13 also was jumped by a group. Detectives say she was attacked after she got out of her car, which bore a rainbow gay pride sticker.

After one of the four men struck her, the group dragged the woman into the street, assaulted her, forced her back into her car and took her to a burned-out apartment building, where she was raped again. Authorities are still searching for the suspects.

The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, a network of organizations working to address gay-related violence, has tracked numerous other anti-gay crimes this year. They include the deaths of transgender women in Tennessee and Colorado; an arson that destroyed the home of a 65-year-old gay man in New York, and a spate of street beatings in Seattle's gay district.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

it strikes me that compared to the national incidence of straight on straight, non-hate violence, as a percentage, a person who is hated has a much lower chance of being attacked than someone who isn't......amazing, isn't it?......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pope Benedict XVI has said that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behaviour is just as important as saving the rainforest from destruction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7796663.stm
    The world can survive with a gay community. It can't survive without rainforests. Ratso is cracking up. The violent/moronic populace will use his words to promote homophobia. Probably illegal logging and forest-burning too.
    668.....the neighbour of the beast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    The world can survive with a gay community. It can't survive without rainforests. Ratso is cracking up. The violent/moronic populace will use his words to promote homophobia. Probably illegal logging and forest-burning too.
    Tell me again how tolerant the Islamist are with homosexuals and other religions????
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    it strikes me that compared to the national incidence of straight on straight, non-hate violence, as a percentage, a person who is hated has a much lower chance of being attacked than someone who isn't......amazing, isn't it?......
    You should be careful in how you word things. This can be used by liberals to declare that "Hate Crime" laws are beneficial to the community; without those laws, they will claim, that crimes against the oppressed would be much higher than they are now.

That being said, I do not believe that anyone should be attacked for any reason let alone if they are gay, a different color or what have you. The penalty for any crime should not be different just because someone is "different". Attack me and you should go to prison just as long as you would if you attacked my friend who happens to be gay.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nukeman;
    Tell me again how tolerant the Islamist are with homosexuals and other religions????
    Sure, when you show me an article by the head honcho muslim claiming that ridding the world of homosexuality is as important as protecting rainforests.
    Last edited by moon; 12-24-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nukeman;

Sure, when you show me an article by the head honcho muslim claiming that ridding the world of homosexuality is as important as protecting rainforests.
    red herring...

what happens to homosexuals under sharia law moon? what does the quran or hadiths say is the punishment for homosexuals moon?
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Iran Executes Two Homosexual Boys

Two gay Iranian teenagers -- one 18, the other believed to be 16 or 17, were executed this week for the "crime" of homosexuality, the Iranian Student News Agency (ISNA) reported on July 19. (The ISNA report is in Farsi, and was translated into English by the British gay rights group OutRage!, ISNA also provided the terrifying photos of the teens' last moments you see on this page (check below).The two youths -- identified only by their initials as M.A. and A.M., were hanged on July 19 in Edalat (Justice) Square in the city of Mashhad in north-eastern Iran, on the orders of Court No. 19. The hanging of the teens was also reported by the National Council of Resistance of Iran.

source well moon ????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about those who are suffering from pro gay violence?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nukeman;

If I recall, the head honcho Iranian thinks he has rid Iran of homosexuality......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    How about those who are suffering from pro gay violence?
    My thoughts exactly. How many gays attacked people over their anti-gay views?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yurt;
    red herring...
    Not at all. Nukeman introduced Islam into a thread about American homophobic violence and I addressed his post. You are simply trying to further dilute the thread with your own ingrained Islamophobia.

PostModernProphet;
    If I recall, the head honcho Iranian thinks he has rid Iran of homosexuality......
    Nobody's infallible. The American public thinks it has rid the White House of assholes.
    Last edited by moon; 12-26-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yurt;

Not at all. Nukeman introduced Islam into a thread about American homophobic violence and I addressed his post. You are simply trying to further dilute the thread with your own ingrained Islamophobia.

PostModernProphet;

Nobody's infallible. The American public thinks it has rid the White House of assholes.
    moon, why is it you so often cut out parts of my post? it seems to always be when i present facts or questions that do not comport to your world view...are you that insecure in your world view that you can't honestly discuss an issue, so insecure that you have to delete the counter view point question or fact?

what happens to homosexuals under sharia law moon? what does the quran or hadiths say is the punishment for homosexuals moon?
    what is it about these two little questions that caused you such great fear that you deleted them from my post?
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yurt;
    moon, why is it you so often cut out parts of my post?
    It's an act of mercy. Wtf wants to read all that crap twice ?

Quote:what happens to homosexuals under sharia law moon? what does the quran or hadiths say is the punishment for homosexuals moon?

what is it about these two little questions that caused you such great fear that you deleted them from my post?
    Fear ? You're posting off-topic horseshit questions and I'm ignoring the deviations. Go start a thread about the Qur'an and quit crapping in this one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oooooooo, the new dude has become the thread police..
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)