Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Woman Dies After Water Drinking Contest

So is the radio station responsible?

Woman Dies After Water-Drinking Contest
    AP
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Jan. 14) - A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.
    Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

It was not immediately know how much water Strange consumed.

A preliminary investigation found evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death," said assistant Coroner Ed Smith.

John Geary, vice president and marketing manager for Entercom Sacramento, the station's owner, said station personnel were stunned when they heard of Strange's death.

"We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred," he said.

Initially, contestants were handed eight-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

Most Popular - Last 24 Hours
    Scientists Set to Move Doomsday Clock ForwardHard-Luck Lottery Winner Says He's BrokeFord's Remarks on Presidents PrintedBrightest Comet in Decades Amazes StargazersTwo Missing Boys Found Alive in Missouri Home"They were small little half-pint bottles, so we thought it was going to be easy," said fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland. "They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health at risk."

Ybarra said he quit after drinking five bottles. "My bladder couldn't handle it anymore," he added.

After he quit, he said, the remaining contestants, including Strange, were given even bigger bottles to drink.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for kids."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.
    Sorry, this was off of AOL, so no link.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Next up: the lawsuit.
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    Next up: the lawsuit.

Well, probably. But I was wondering if you thought the radio station *should* be liable. Did they have their listeners engage in an unsafe activity, or was she just a jerk who should have stopped before she got sick.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    Well, probably. But I was wondering if you thought the radio station *should* be liable. Did they have their listeners engage in an unsafe activity, or was she just a jerk who should have stopped before she got sick.
    That's the problem---it doesn't matter what we think. It's how the judge and the jury think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    That's the problem---it doesn't matter what we think. It's how the judge and the jury think.
    So you have no opinions now? Since when?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Both were engaging is irresponsible behavior, but it would be a shame to hold the radio station responsible for her death. She freely chose to participate in a contest that involved disruption of natural body processes. The poor lady probably didn't realize that there was such a thing as "water poisoning," so I feel bad. But I don't feel that the radio station should have to pay.

But her estate will almost certainly sue, I would say.
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you have no opinions now? Since when?
    That is my opinion--people shouldn't get all worked up about this stuff because it'll just piss you off. Why bother when there's nothing you can do about it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    Both were engaging is irresponsible behavior, but it would be a shame to hold the radio station responsible for her death. She freely chose to participate in a contest that involved disruption of natural body processes. The poor lady probably didn't realize that there was such a thing as "water poisoning," so I feel bad. But I don't feel that the radio station should have to pay.

But her estate will almost certainly sue, I would say.
    I agree with you on all counts. I think she probably didn't realize that what she was doing was dangerous. But that begs the question, was it responsible of the radio station to have a contest that was dangerous without warning the participants.... IF (and might be a big if) they didn't warn the participants. I'm figuring everyone signed a release when they entered, but will be interesting to see what happens.

Had to be a lousy way to go, tho. Who knew there was such a thing as water poisoning?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I agree with you on all counts. I think she probably didn't realize that what she was doing was dangerous. But that begs the question, was it responsible of the radio station to have a contest that was dangerous without warning the participants.... IF (and might be a big if) they didn't warn the participants. I'm figuring everyone signed a release when they entered, but will be interesting to see what happens.

Had to be a lousy way to go, tho. Who knew there was such a thing as water poisoning?
    It was in the news a few years back. A Boston marathon runner died from it. Being a runner even in hot weather, I checked it out. It's cause by too much water being injested without taking in electrolytes.

I looked it up again:

http://www.erowid.org/culture/health...oisoning.shtml
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is a tough one for me.

Most folks don’t know that excess water consumption affects body electrolytes, which can be fatal. Did the radio station know this, I donno. Should they have, being it was a ‘public’ contest? Probably. Is a suit reasonable against the station? I really donno.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    This is a tough one for me.

Most folks don’t know that excess water consumption affects body electrolytes, which can be fatal. Did the radio station know this, I donno. Should they have, being it was a ‘public’ contest? Probably. Is a suit reasonable against the station? I really donno.
    Don't know about the grounds for a lawsuit, but I'd say the onus for responsibility is more on the radio station than the individual to ensure a contest they are sponsoring is in fact safe.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a tragic story, mother of 3, 28 years old and dies in a contest trying to win something for her kids. I'm with Gunny on this one. The persons conducting the contest bear the responsibility to have safety.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have no doubt the radio station will be liable, although im not sure they should be. They wouldn't have started the promotion if they thought it was life threatening. and i doubt she would have done it if she thought she was risking her life.

Most people dont think about the effects of drinking too much water. i dont think its reasonable to assume the average person or even a careful person would think about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How many here ever heard of this before reading this post. I hadn't. I'm sure the radio station and the woman never dreamed this could happen. It's tragic but no one is at fault here. Though I'm sure someone is going to try to place blame on someone. That's the American way now days. Blame someone.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    It was in the news a few years back. A Boston marathon runner died from it. Being a runner even in hot weather, I checked it out. It's cause by too much water being injested without taking in electrolytes.

I looked it up again:

http://www.erowid.org/culture/health...oisoning.shtml
    Thanks for the link. Sad situation all around. Even though I'm betting she signed a release when she entered, I'm also betting that she had no way of knowing what she was doing was potentially deadly.