Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default War on terror

Is the US at war with Terror? How can the struggle against the threat be otherwise defined? Does President Obama have the authority to attack any nation harboring terrorists? Did President bush have the authority to attack any nation harboring terrorists?

We can play name games all day long but the US is in War on Terror until peace is declared.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    ---Thomas Jefferson (or as Al Sharpton calls him: Grandpappy)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Could be Obama plans on wrestling with terrorism.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Could be Obama plans on wrestling with terrorism.
    After reading this how could a sane person define this public law? http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...ubl040.107.pdf
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Ya got me, brother. I'm pretty sure I didn't understand it.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Classact View Post
    Is the US at war with Terror?
    A better name for it I've heard, the the War by Terrorists Against Us.

But yes, we are absolutely at war. Maybe not against one country, but undoubtedly a war.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    A better name for it I've heard, the the War by Terrorists Against Us.

But yes, we are absolutely at war. Maybe not against one country, but undoubtedly a war.
    Problem is though, we're not entirely fighting against terrorism either, given that the idea of attacking them like this is to make them fear the repercussions of attacking, but on another level, we did not one thing for Darfur, where genocide was going on, and I'm sorry, but that's terrorism by any definition
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You can't have a war on strategy. Terrorism is a strategy not a thing or place. It's a war with islam. That is the true name. It's denied by everyone, because it might offend some people to call it what it is.

You can't have war on someone if you won't even name them and refer only to their strategy.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    You can't have a war on strategy. Terrorism is a strategy not a thing or place. It's a war with islam. That is the true name. It's denied by everyone, because it might offend some people to call it what it is.

You can't have war on someone if you won't even name them and refer only to their strategy.
    If you go back and read the law I linked it is a war with Islam but limited to Islamic Terrorists or any terrorists that may support them in attacking America. So if a few radical US citizens like John Walker Lynn or anyone else joins the action they are fair game and considered enemy under the law.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Classact View Post
    If you go back and read the law I linked it is a war with Islam but limited to Islamic Terrorists or any terrorists that may support them in attacking America. So if a few radical US citizens like John Walker Lynn or anyone else joins the action they are fair game and considered enemy under the law.
    Actually it just says acts of terrorism, doesn't specify who. It's knee jerk legislation that congress always puts out after the fact. They still refuse to name our enemy.

This is legislation that should have been put in effect back in the 80's not in response to 911. It's typical put all the responsibility on the president legislation that covers their dumb asses.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The act says:

"The President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons."

So Congress gave the President the power to fight only against the perpetrators of 9/11 (or those that harbor them). Bush determined that al Qaeda was that organization. Thus, the best name for the war is the War Against Al Qaeda.

Since AQ was in Afghanistan, that's where the war started. Since AQ is in Pakistan now, we ought to be fighting them there, if we are truly going to fight against those who "planned, authorized, committed, or aided" 9/11.

I disagree that the current war is against all terrorists or all muslims. That is not what the authorization of force resolution says.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    The act says:

"The President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons."

So Congress gave the President the power to fight only against the perpetrators of 9/11 (or those that harbor them). Bush determined that al Qaeda was that organization. Thus, the best name for the war is the War Against Al Qaeda.

Since AQ was in Afghanistan, that's where the war started. Since AQ is in Pakistan now, we ought to be fighting them there, if we are truly going to fight against those who "planned, authorized, committed, or aided" 9/11.

I disagree that the current war is against all terrorists or all muslims. That is not what the authorization of force resolution says.
    And the reason it will go on for a very long time is that congress authorized a selective war. There are two hundred divisions out there and we are concentrating on one battalion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the reason it will go on for a very long time is that congress authorized a selective war. There are two hundred divisions out there and we are concentrating on one battalion.
    There are two hundred divisions worth of al Qaeda terrorists?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There are two hundred divisions worth of al Qaeda terrorists?
    There are 200 divisions of muslims. al queda makes up one battalion. Do the math.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are 200 divisions of muslims. al queda makes up one battalion. Do the math.
    But we're not at war with Islam. We're at war with al Qaeda.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The war is against us. By terrorists. We are merely replying appropriately to defend ourselves and prevent their hostile acts in the future.

Where they are from is less important than what they are doing, and what they (and their allies) will do in the future.

Congress saying that only the initial attackers and people who supported them are at war, doesn't make it so.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com