Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Home Sales, Leading Indicators Unexpectedly Rise

Hey, wait a minute

I thought banks were not lending, and the US economy was going to hell without Obama's spending plan

What happened?????

By Bob Willis and Shobhana Chandra

Jan. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Two measures of U.S. economic performance unexpectedly turned positive in December, in sharp contrast to the tens of thousands of firings announced by companies as diverse as Caterpillar Inc. and Sprint Nextel Corp.

The National Association of Realtors said sales of existing homes rose 6.5 percent to an annual rate of 4.74 million last month, propelled by the biggest slump in prices since the Great Depression. The Conference Board’s index of leading economic indicators increased 0.3 percent as the supply of money expanded.

Analysts said the indicators, while reflecting Federal Reserve and Treasury efforts to stave off a complete collapse of the economy, needed to be viewed against the backdrop of surging firings -- 72,500 announced today alone. The job losses, they said, may deepen the pullback in consumer spending and make banks more reluctant to lend, exacerbating what’s already the longest recession since 1982.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Lhk&refer=home

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    Hey, wait a minute

I thought banks were not lending, and the US economy was going to hell without Obama's spending plan

What happened?????

By Bob Willis and Shobhana Chandra

Jan. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Two measures of U.S. economic performance unexpectedly turned positive in December, in sharp contrast to the tens of thousands of firings announced by companies as diverse as Caterpillar Inc. and Sprint Nextel Corp.

The National Association of Realtors said sales of existing homes rose 6.5 percent to an annual rate of 4.74 million last month, propelled by the biggest slump in prices since the Great Depression. The Conference Board’s index of leading economic indicators increased 0.3 percent as the supply of money expanded.

Analysts said the indicators, while reflecting Federal Reserve and Treasury efforts to stave off a complete collapse of the economy, needed to be viewed against the backdrop of surging firings -- 72,500 announced today alone. The job losses, they said, may deepen the pullback in consumer spending and make banks more reluctant to lend, exacerbating what’s already the longest recession since 1982.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Lhk&refer=home
    Banks are still lending.......to people with good credit.

These new home sales are a good example of people who are taking advantage of cheaper priced homes and getting out of rental properties and apartments.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Banks are still lending.......to people with good credit.

These new home sales are a good example of people who are taking advantage of cheaper priced homes and getting out of rental properties and apartments.
    And departing from those sound lending practices is what started this whole mess in our economy in the first place.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    And departing from those sound lending practices is what started this whole mess in our economy in the first place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You mean the Bush tax cuts are not to blame Abbey?

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    You mean the Bush tax cuts are not to blame Abbey?
    Geez, now I'm not sure. I will have to consult the Omniscient One for the answer.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Geez, now I'm not sure. I will have to consult the Omniscient One for the answer.
    I would like to ask the Omniscient One how this good economic news could possibly occur since his stimulus plan has not passed and we are in the worst economy since the Great Depresion

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

While we wait for that 'stimulus' package to pass, aka remaking the US econ system, there are signs around here of some improvement. Several homes have sold between here and where I work in the past 2 weeks, today I saw two commercial parcels marked 'sold' that have been for sale for over a year.

I think there are hard times for many in the coming months, then we should see an upturn-IF Obama is kept from going all FDR on us.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Utterly amazing that the Messiah would grace us with a miracle so soon in his reign....
    "Ignorance is not bliss...ignorance is dangerous" - Silver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It seems to me that it might be prudent for republicans to sit back and see just what Obama can get accomplished between now and the 2010 mid term elections, since clearly, they will be unable to have any impact on his legislative agenda between now and then.

Either that, or you all could hope for his failure, as Rush did, which would be a clear indication of how much you value party over country.

Think about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moderate democrat View Post
    It seems to me that it might be prudent for republicans to sit back and see just what Obama can get accomplished between now and the 2010 mid term elections, since clearly, they will be unable to have any impact on his legislative agenda between now and then.

Either that, or you all could hope for his failure, as Rush did, which would be a clear indication of how much you value party over country.

Think about it.
    why would i want him to succeed with an agenda i am against....i didn't see you all rallying around bush and his agenda......

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Think about it.
    Pshaw, I'll support things that sound reasonable and dis those that don't. It's better than any gave Bush.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Pshaw, I'll support things that sound reasonable and dis those that don't. It's better than any gave Bush.
    Amen to that, Sistuh.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I, for one, never hoped for the failure of America merely to advance my own political agenda... but I guess that is what differentiates democrats from republicans.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I, for one, never hoped for the failure of America merely to advance my own political agenda... but I guess that is what differentiates democrats from republicans.
    america will fail if we don't change gun laws......withdraw from iraq and invade afganistan again.....increase taxes on the rich......increase government spending on new deal programs.....create socialized medicine .......

holy shit i am shocked it didn't fail before now.....thank god obama showed up.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus