Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Big Gains for Dawa Party: what does this mean for America?

The Dawa party of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki scored major gains in the recent Iraqi elections. The Dawa party was founded by Muqtada al Sadr's daddy and has long had close ties with Iran. What do folks on this board think that such gains mean for America? Do you think that Iraq will increase its religious, cultural and economic alliance with Iran in the years going forward? Is this a good development for American interests?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I hear the Dawa also capture and sell service and other droids.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am somewhat surprised that yurt, who claims to have lived in the middle east and knows the way muslims think, has not weighed in on this thread. I would LOVE to get his informed opinion on this matter... and red states rule - that noted expert on all things related to the war on terrorism... his opinion would also be extremely valuable to this issue. I am sure that both of them have a lot to offer this discussion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The nation building party has left the building, md, and I hope they stay the hell out of majority politics for the next 40 years. I've already given my thoughts to my kids and grand kids so I guess it'll be up to them to carry on the good fight of progressive Americans in the next few decades!!!!!!!!!!!

How 'bout a cool one?!?!??!???!??!?!??!

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From what I've heard, the prime minister's party has solidified its position in the Iraqi parliament. So while the Dawa party may have made some gains, it's not like they control the government.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    From what I've heard, the prime minister's party has solidified its position in the Iraqi parliament. So while the Dawa party may have made some gains, it's not like they control the government.
    "controlling", perhaps not.

"Significantly influencing the direction of", I would say so.

Again... what does that portend for American interests?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moderate democrat View Post
    "controlling", perhaps not.

"Significantly influencing the direction of", I would say so.

Again... what does that portend for American interests?
    I think it will lead to a more independent Iraq, which is a good thing - I don't want American troops in Iraq ad infinitum. I don't think that al-Maliki is going to attempt to ally with Iran just because they're majority Shiite as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it will lead to a more independent Iraq, which is a good thing - I don't want American troops in Iraq ad infinitum. I don't think that al-Maliki is going to attempt to ally with Iran just because they're majority Shiite as well.
    the connections between Dawa politicians and Iran go much deeper than simply sharing the same sect of Islam, imho.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the connections between Dawa politicians and Iran go much deeper than simply sharing the same sect of Islam, imho.
    I don't know a whole lot about Iraqi politics, so I won't disagree with you. What do you think will happen to Iraq's foreign policy as a result of the elections?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know a whole lot about Iraqi politics, so I won't disagree with you. What do you think will happen to Iraq's foreign policy as a result of the elections?
    I only know what I read... and, from what I have read, I worry that there is going to be accelerated movement that takes Iraq closer towards Iranian influence and further from the US. I will admit that I have worried about that possibility ever since we overthrew Saddam.
    I don't think that Iraq will necessarily become a client or satellite state of Iran, but I do think that Iraq will be much more closely aligned and allied with Iran than it will be with us. It will consider Iranian interests much more compatible with Iraqi interests than when it considers OUR interests... imho.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I only know what I read... and, from what I have read, I worry that there is going to be accelerated movement that takes Iraq closer towards Iranian influence and further from the US. I will admit that I have worried about that possibility ever since we overthrew Saddam.
    I don't think that Iraq will necessarily become a client or satellite state of Iran, but I do think that Iraq will be much more closely aligned and allied with Iran than it will be with us. It will consider Iranian interests much more compatible with Iraqi interests than when it considers OUR interests... imho.
    Perhaps. I think they will definitely develop friendly relations - but, IMO, that's a good thing that adds to regional stability. But the politics of the region are too complex for me to say outright that Iraq and Iran will align with each other now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps. I think they will definitely develop friendly relations - but, IMO, that's a good thing that adds to regional stability. But the politics of the region are too complex for me to say outright that Iraq and Iran will align with each other now.

I am not sure that allowing a situation to develop where Iraq and Iran are friendly is a beneficial outcome from the invasion of Iraq.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am not sure that allowing a situation to develop where Iraq and Iran are friendly is a beneficial outcome from the invasion of Iraq.
    Maybe you ought to send an e-mail to your President and your party leaders, they were the ones with all of the criticism over what the last administration was doing without any suggestions or solutions. Osama spent 2 years and almost a billion dollars to buy the election, he must really feel HE has all of the answers, now he gets to handle the problems facing our country which unlike what we hear from the left, didn't start 8 years ago.

My suggestion to your President is to quit the campaigning and the talking down of the economy and lead(oh shit, he's never actually done that..... ever!). Maybe he should call someone with some actual experience and find out what he would do......... President Bush or his father?
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am somewhat surprised that yurt, who claims to have lived in the middle east and knows the way muslims think, has not weighed in on this thread. I would LOVE to get his informed opinion on this matter... and red states rule - that noted expert on all things related to the war on terrorism... his opinion would also be extremely valuable to this issue. I am sure that both of them have a lot to offer this discussion.
    obsess much...
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb