Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Suspension of Nurse Who Offered to Pray for Patient's Recovery Sparks Uproar

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5675452.ece

The nurse who was suspended without pay for offering to pray for a patient's recovery has been reinstated and will return to work in the next few days.

Caroline Petrie, an evangelical Christian from Weston-super-Mare, was subjected to disciplinary action by North Somerset Primary Care Trust even though the patient was not offended and made no complaint.

Mrs Petrie, who was supported by the Christian Legal Centre, was summoned last week to a disciplinary hearing on the charge that she had failed to demonstrate a "personal and professional commitment to equality and diversity".

North Somerset Primary Care Trust said yesterday that it recognised Mrs Petrie, a mother of two, had been acting in the "best interests of her patients" and that nurses did not have to "set aside their faith" in the workplace and could "continue to offer high-quality care for patients while remaining committed to their beliefs".

It also conceded that for some people prayer was an "integral part of health care and the healing process".

Sir Patrick Cormack, the Tory MP for South Staffordshire and a committed Anglican, told Parliament that the case illustrated the “utter absurdities” of political correctness.

Andrea Williams, director of the Christian Legal Centre, said: "This is a great victory for Mrs Petrie, and for common sense. Today’s decision highlights the importance of being able to take personal faith into the workplace rather than being forced to leave it at the door for fear of being silenced by equality and diversity policies."

The turnaround by the trust comes amid a tightening up by Government on how far public sector workers can go in communicating their faith.

According to a document published by the Department of Health last month, any attempt by a doctor or nurse to proselytise during the course of their work is to be considered harassment or intimidation and will be subject to disciplinary procedures.

Religion or Belief: A Practical Guide for the NHS states that preaching or attempting to convert people in a workplace environment "can cause many problems, as non-religious people and those from other religions or beliefs could feel harassed and intimidated by this behaviour".

Hazel Blears, the Communities Secretary, said yesterday that the Government was working on changing the rules on the funding of faith-based charity work.

Speaking at the Evangelical Alliance Life Beyond Debt conference in central London, she said faith based charities have a "vital role to play" in the economic downturn. The Government is working on a "charter of excellence" that faith charities will be asked to sign.

"For every action that Government takes, there are local charities taking thousands of their own," she said. "When times are hard they come into their own. Some of those outstanding people working in those organisations are motivated by their faith. Some of the organisations themselves have a religious ethos."

Referring to Salford Central Church in her own constituency in particular, which recently became part of the Oasis Group, she said: "I’ve often found that churches, synagogues and mosques are the places where communities first get organised, the most forceful advocates for their neighbourhoods, and the most steadfast in rocky times when other organisations might falter.

"In my own constituency I think in particular of Salford Central Church. Recently it became part of the Oasis group. It is redoubling its work with the community - with everything from a drop-in centre to a cafe to sports teams for the young. Giving local people a place to go, sound advice about money and health, positive things to do with their spare time."

She also mentioned the Salvation Army, Churches Against Poverty and Church Action on Poverty.

She admitted that religious groups have not always received their fair share of public money because some local authorities through ignorance or mistrust have "fought shy" of working with them. She said that the new charter, which should be ready by the end of the year, would help address this. "The charter would mean faith groups who are paid public money to provide services promising to provide those services to everyone, regardless of their background. And promising not to use public money to proselytise.

"It’s not about trying to stop the people manning the soup kitchens or making the home visits talking about their faith if people ask, or being open about what motivates them. It is about making sure that services funded by public money are unconditional - clearly and unequivocally so - with no strings attached."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

this is nothing unusual....if you know a Christian nurse who works for a public hospital she can tell you that they are prohibited from praying for patients......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is a lie, pimp, and you know it. Any public employee whether a nurse or otherwise is certainly permitted to pray for whatever reason they want.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    this is nothing unusual....if you know a Christian nurse who works for a public hospital she can tell you that they are prohibited from praying for patients......
    Paul and others but especially Paul said that prayer should be private and I agree with that observation and consideration. There is more to this story than is being reported here.

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    That is a lie, pimp, and you know it. Any public employee whether a nurse or otherwise is certainly permitted to pray for whatever reason they want.
    don't ever call me a liar you ignorant twit.......

and don't pretend I was talking about something they do in the privacy of their own homes, I'm talking about what they do openly at work......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 02-07-2009 at 07:06 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But, you lied, pimp, and you're a homophobe to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't ever call me a liar you fucking twit.......

and don't pretend I was talking about something they do in the privacy of their own homes, I'm talking about what they do openly at work......
    What else do you intend to expose about yourself in these threads, pimp?!?!?!???!???!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

But, you lied, pimp, and you're a homophobe to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ah, but everyone who has read the posts knows that I haven't lied and that you ARE an ignorant twit....guess that tells us all that nothing has been exposed....it was all known before hand.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Au contraire, pimp.

ah, but everyone who has read the posts knows that I haven't lied and that you ARE an ignorant twit....guess that tells us all that nothing has been exposed....it was all known before hand.....
    You said that public nurses were forbidden from prayer or the equivalent of that. You lied. You're also afraid of the queers and you have made that quite evident on multiple occasions.

What does that make you?!?!???!!?!?!??! A liar and a homophobe in my honest estimation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What else you got, cowgirl?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Psychoblues
    Last edited by Psychoblues; 02-07-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What does that make you?
    smarter than a two bit worthless drunk, who only posts to this board when he's too shit faced to be embarrassed about what he types.....

you remind me of training puppies.....you come home and find he made a mess on the carpet, but you realize that he's too ignorant to connect the punishment with the mess he made hours ago....the only thing you can do is rub his face in it......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You lied. You're also afraid of the queers
    I'm not afraid of you, I simply find you disgusting.....I suspect though, that I would find you disgusting even if you were straight.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'Zat all you got, cowgirl?!?!??!?!?!????!?!???

smarter than a two bit worthless drunk, who only posts to this board when he's too shit faced to be embarrassed about what he types.....

you remind me of training puppies.....you come home and find he made a mess on the carpet, but you realize that he's too ignorant to connect the punishment with the mess he made hours ago....the only thing you can do is rub his face in it......
    How long did you think about it?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? A half hour or so?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? Get real, my friend. You don't have to be afraid of anything real.

Are you on meds or are you seeing a doctor about your condition?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'd offer you a drink but, hell, I'm now afraid to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll repeat your byline as if it were real in any sense.

I'm not afraid of you, I simply find you disgusting.....I suspect though, that I would find you disgusting even if you were straight.....

Never interrupt an existentialist when he's thinking.

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'd offer you a drink but, hell, I'm now afraid to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    get over yourself....offering to share your intoxication is insufficient cover for your inadequacies.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In other words you're already pissing on yourself and you can't handle anymore?!?!?!??!???!?!?!?!?!

get over yourself....offering to share your intoxication is insufficient cover for your inadequacies.....
    Thanks for the expose', pimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's that you have to say about the nurse and prayer?!?!?!??!??!?!?!??!?!??!

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Paul and others but especially Paul said that prayer should be private and I agree with that observation and consideration. There is more to this story than is being reported here.

Psychoblues
    Psycho, if you are going to come in a thread and throw it off the rails by calling someone a liar, you should at least prove it.

Let's see a link that proves that pmp is a liar.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Psycho, if you are going to come in a thread and throw it off the rails by calling someone a liar, you should at least prove it.

Let's see a link that proves that pmp is a liar.
    I'd have to agree here. Liar has been thrown around way too much imo. Borrowing from a wise person I know, it's being used in the wrong context. Probably because that whacked poster used to flip out about it so often.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill