Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'd have to agree here. Liar has been thrown around way too much imo. Borrowing from a wise person I know, it's being used in the wrong context. Probably because that whacked poster used to flip out about it so often.
    Indeed.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

federal VA hospital guidelines....

11. Can we have prayer groups on the wards for patients whom would like to participate?

Prayer groups conducted for patients are the responsibility of the medical center chaplains. They may also be coordinated by faith group representatives under the supervision of the chaplain staff when a chaplain of that faith is not generally available. Staff should not be leading prayer or Bible study groups for the patients under their care. Occasionally, patients have chosen to get together informally for prayer and bible study. Chaplain section has provided study guides and Bibles (or other religious materials as in the case of Muslim or Jewish patients). There is no objection to the practice of patient-led prayer groups so long as participation is voluntary the patient(s) involved are not soliciting members for their faith group or church. An employee runs the risk of being accused of soliciting for their particular faith group or church should they engage in running these sorts of groups. Soliciting of any sort, religious or otherwise, is prohibited by Federal regulation.
    http://www.westpalmbeach.va.gov/serv...ons.asp#etiq10

and yet....

Patients admitted to hospital with heart problems suffer fewer complications if someone prays for them, according to scientists in the US.

The study, carried out at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, found that patients who received alternative therapy following angioplasty were 25% to 30% less likely to suffer complications.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1627662.stm

and

Does prayer benefit cancer patients? A new study says it does.

Breast cancer patients who pray in online support groups can get mental health benefits, according to the study.

"We know that many cancer patients pray in online support groups to help them cope with their illness. This is the first study we are aware of that examines the psychological effects of this behavior," said Bret Shaw, an associate scientist in UW-Madison's College of Engineering and lead author of the study.
    http://www.kmbc.com/health/10670704/detail.html
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the nurse works in a public hospital, they should not be allowed to pray for patients - by that I mean, they should not be allowed to suggest they pray for someone, however, I have no problem with them praying for a patient outside of hospital grounds, or if the patient makes the request.
    Formally 'Sharon den Adel'

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Why, storm? Why should praying nurses be prohibited from praying for folk, or offering to pray for them? Does the offer cause harm?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by My Winter Storm View Post
    If the nurse works in a public hospital, they should not be allowed to pray for patients - by that I mean, they should not be allowed to suggest they pray for someone, however, I have no problem with them praying for a patient outside of hospital grounds, or if the patient makes the request.
    Do you have a problem with them asking if they can make you (as a patient) comfortable?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Psycho, if you are going to come in a thread and throw it off the rails by calling someone a liar, you should at least prove it.

Let's see a link that proves that pmp is a liar.
    This statement:

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    this is nothing unusual....if you know a Christian nurse who works for a public hospital she can tell you that they are prohibited from praying for patients......
    is without any doubt a lie. It's another prime example of the thumper's mentality. If they can't perform a gaudy, loud, bible-thumping "come to Jesus" revival and rub everyone's noses in it, THEY'RE being persecuted. It's a load of manure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    is without any doubt a lie. It's another prime example of the thumper's mentality. If they can't perform a gaudy, loud, bible-thumping "come to Jesus" revival and rub everyone's noses in it, THEY'RE being persecuted. It's a load of manure.
    listen up, you worthless slice of shit.....I have already provided a link to the federal rules for VA hospitals which expressly prohibits nurses from praying with patients.....in addition, my church runs a free health clinic two blocks from my house manned by volunteer nurses and doctors who WANTED a place where they are free to pray with their patients.....don't call me a liar when I tell you something you obviously don't have an iota of information about.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

listen up, you worthless slice of shit.....I have already provided a link to the federal rules for VA hospitals which expressly prohibits nurses from praying with patients.....in addition, my church runs a free health clinic two blocks from my house manned by volunteer nurses and doctors who WANTED a place where they are free to pray with their patients.....don't call me a liar when I tell you something you obviously don't have an iota of information about.....
    And you listen you ignorant asshole...you posted that they are prohibited from praying FOR their patients. You didn't put any qualifiers on it, and since the nurses are perfectly able to offer a prayer for their patients on their own time whether at home, on break, at church, etc, your statement isn't true...AKA a lie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

And you listen you ignorant asshole...you posted that they are prohibited from praying FOR their patients. You didn't put any qualifiers on it, and since the nurses are perfectly able to offer a prayer for their patients on their own time whether at home, on break, at church, etc, your statement isn't true...AKA a lie.
    fucking semantics player......we were talking about a nurse suspended for offering to pray WITH a patient....if your too fucking dense to keep track of a topic for a single page don't call me a liar for your inadequacies.....I swear the atheists I have met have one thing in common, when they gave up their faith in God they also seem to have lost the use of the brains God gave them......

what I stated was true, the lie is in your twisted accusation.....now shut the fuck up before I lose my temper and tell you what I REALLY think of you.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 02-08-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fucking semantics player......we were talking about a nurse suspended for offering to pray WITH a patient....if your too fucking dense to keep track of a topic for a single page don't call me a liar for your inadequacies.....I swear the atheists I have met have one thing in common, when they gave up their faith in God they also seem to have lost the use of the brains God gave them......

what I stated was true, the lie is in your twisted accusation.....now shut the fuck up before I lose my temper and tell you what I REALLY think of you.....
    It's called English dipshit! If you're going to attempt to use it, you'd be well served to learn it first. You can raise all the objections you'd like, your statement was clearly untrue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

it is only "untrue" for those intent on ignoring the issue and pretending we were discussing something else.....obviously you were so excited about calling me a liar you were willing to ignore that fact.....so fuck yourself for trying to make me look like something I'm not to gain points....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I think this is a stretch. It was clear what PMP was talking about, because
    the thread and article are about praying with a patient, not for a patient privately or off-site. If that were the case, there would be no issue whatsoever.

So, we are back to the point that if pmp is to be called a liar, let's see some proof. That (post #2?) is the exact point where the thread was derailed, and the discussion turned ugly and useless, imo.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I think this is a stretch. It was clear what PMP was talking about, because
    the thread and article are about praying with a patient, not for a patient privately or off-site. If that were the case, there would be no issue whatsoever.

So, we are back to the point that if pmp is to be called a liar, let's see some proof. That (post #2?) is the exact point where the thread was derailed, and the discussion turned ugly and useless, imo.
    Agreed on both the purposeful twisting and turning ugly.

OT: It would be great if we could respond more respectfully even when differing in positions. Assume the person has a point to posting what they do and respond with your own take-whether you agree or not. That doesn't mean the other person, 'Doesn't know all XXXX are like XXXX.' Or call someone a liar off the bat. Or an idiot. Seriously folks, it would be nice if this would stop.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Agreed on both the purposeful twisting and turning ugly.

OT: It would be great if we could respond more respectfully even when differing in positions. Assume the person has a point to posting what they do and respond with your own take-whether you agree or not. That doesn't mean the other person, 'Doesn't know all XXXX are like XXXX.' Or call someone a liar off the bat. Or an idiot. Seriously folks, it would be nice if this would stop.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BTW, the rules you posted DO NOT forbid a nurse from praying for or with a patient. They are forbidden to engage in solicitation.