Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default First Daddy-Daughter Day at the Gun Club

Today my daughter accompanied me to the gun club. She borrowed a .22LR from a coworker I met who was shooting there.

She loved it. She probably shot 60-100 rounds out of the revolver. After we shot paper, I moved her to the steel targets in another lane. These were torso-sized, about 15 yard away.

She has been begging for a pistol when she turns 10 in june. After seeing her enjoyment today, I'm inclined to pick something up for her.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VsmsyTj4c[/youtube]

She also, after a little coaxing, got behind a 9mm Glock. She fired one round - the shell casing ejected into her forehead, and that was enough of that. No wounds - but it, coupled with the boom, caused her a bit of nervousness. We went back to the .22.

I'm proud she tried though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNXNMDzwtCI[/youtube]

I also squeezed off a few with my XD40 -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gfv70l-r18[/youtube]

All-told I'm fantastically proud of my daughter - the entire time she was conscientious of what she was doing - where people were - the point of the barrel, and the general respect for what we were doing and the consequence of a 'mistake' - even an honest mistake.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Well done! My daughter loved it so much when she went with me. Heres my daughter shooting my 12ga and Taurus 9mm her 2nd outing a couple months ago, she's 14.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

excellent, CR! She'll be an inspiration to my daughter!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I must say, I've never seen a bad pic of women with a gun. Now, I may go for training and kill that.

Both of your daughters are knockouts for their ages. You should both be very proud.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I want to see Mary shooting....

... in a bikini
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

HA Jim - I just wanna get her OUT there to the range...if I do, the NEXT time I'll ask her about the bikini.

Kath - The event made for great daddy-daughter bonding.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    HA Jim - I just wanna get her OUT there to the range...if I do, the NEXT time I'll ask her about the bikini.
    Well, if you cant get her out to the range, a bikini shot from home will suffice!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very cool Darin. Both my kids loved it when we did it at a friends house.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Am I the only one that see's some disturbing in a 9 year old girl wanting a gun for her birthday? I'm pretty sure I wanted a go-cart when I was 9, not a pistol!
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Am I the only one that see's some disturbing in a 9 year old girl wanting a gun for her birthday? I'm pretty sure I wanted a go-cart when I was 9, not a pistol!
    That would probably be because YOU never fired a gun before. I received my first 22 rifle when I was 10 or 11. Great little rifle I still have it today and it is in excellent shape. Just because YOU don't want one don't put your preconceived notions on others. There is NOTHING wrong with a younger person wanting a gun for their birthday. In fact I find it comforting that she will know how to use and how to respect a gun for its intended use.. What you should be worried about are those "repressed" children that NEVER get the opportunity to fire a real gun and when they find one are so enthralled they have NO sense on what to do with it and are dangerous with it.....

Do you also find it disturbing that EVERY male at age 18 is required to own a assault rifle in Finland????
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

My daughter is well-aware of the positives of guns. Things like "Freedom from Nazism' and 'Slavery' and 'British Oppression' to say the least. She's learning the discipline needed to effectively use the weapon, too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like guns.

However my father was more traditional teaching my brother how to use them but not me. Ammo was considered to expensive to shoot at targets and I wouldn't shoot at animals.

Still want to get good with a pistol when I turn 21 and can legally buy one.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    That would probably be because YOU never fired a gun before. I received my first 22 rifle when I was 10 or 11. Great little rifle I still have it today and it is in excellent shape. Just because YOU don't want one don't put your preconceived notions on others. There is NOTHING wrong with a younger person wanting a gun for their birthday. In fact I find it comforting that she will know how to use and how to respect a gun for its intended use.. What you should be worried about are those "repressed" children that NEVER get the opportunity to fire a real gun and when they find one are so enthralled they have NO sense on what to do with it and are dangerous with it.....

Do you also find it disturbing that EVERY male at age 18 is required to own a assault rifle in Finland????

I fear you failed at the first sentence, as my dad was in the army I have fired weapons on the range
    So I'm not meant to put preconcived notions on others? Do you ever? I'm fucking human and so are you, politics is the compromise of oposing preconcived notions, amiright?

I'm just making a simple statement, I think it's odd that a 9 year old girl wants a gun, in the same way that I think it is odd that parents buy their 9 year olds mobile phones. I'm not doubting DMPs parenting, or anything like that.

As fir the Finland thing, is it a passive law? Cus I know that legaly I am meant to train with my long-bow every Sunday, as that is the law, but ofcourse it means nothing. However, if it is an active law then yes I do find it disturbing
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I don't find it disturbing at all. A girl wanting something for her birthday that she can do with her dad isn't at all surprising. I got a Ruger MKIII target .22 for my daughter a couple years ago. I think it helps to create a well rounded girl in addition to teaching her proper respect and handling of weapons.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Y'all have some good looking girls.

I have 4 boy's, everyone of them started with a daisy bb gun around 4 or 5 yrs old ( of course under a watchful eye) my oldest is now 20 and hunting as much as he can , the second oldest is 14 and got his first 12 qauqe last year for X-mas , both of my older boys were shooting a 410 by the time they were 10, I have to younger boys ages 6 and 7 and they have graduated from there daisy's to air gun's and will each get a 410 as they show enough respect and maturity.

I think this is a wonderful way to teach kids responsibility and gun safety and also have fun doing something with them .