Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default White House dampens stimulus expectations

White House dampens stimulus expectations

WASHINGTON (Reuters)- President Barack Obama's aides warned Americans on Sunday not to expect instant miracles from the $787 billion economic stimulus bill he will sign this week, but said it would help eventually.

Obama is due to sign the bill passed last week by Congress in Denver on Tuesday. It was the first major legislative victory of his young presidency, which could rise or fall with its success or failure.

"There will be signs of activity very quickly," David Axelrod, the White House senior adviser, said on "Fox News Sunday." "But it's going to take time for that to show up in the statistics. The president has said it's likely to get worse before it gets better."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs used similar language on CBS' "Face the Nation."

"I don't think there's any doubt that we've seen this economy has gotten worse just in the last few months. The acceleration in job loss probably means that this economy is going to get worse before it gets better," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090215/...s_usa_stimulus

somehow i see these comments making wall street fearful and thus probably cause the market to go down. so full of hope obama....
    Last edited by Yurt; 02-15-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Pre-emptive damage control. Nice.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Pre-emptive damage control. Nice.
    He did that with the 'create OR save' x millions of jobs. The masses want to buy it.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    He did that with the 'create OR save' x millions of jobs. The masses want to buy it.

and partisan republicans are hoping - PRAYING - that the economy goes into the tank.

how patriotic!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moderate democrat View Post
    and partisan republicans are hoping - PRAYING - that the economy goes into the tank.

how patriotic!
    Hardly, you don't get the opposition. No surprise there.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hardly, you don't get the opposition. No surprise there.
    so... did I misread you? Do you WANT the stimulus package to succeed and actually help our economy pull out of this steep recession, or don't you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

so... did I misread you? Do you WANT the stimulus package to succeed and actually help our economy pull out of this steep recession, or don't you?
    If it could and not result in a bigger problem, that would be great. History is not on that side.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it could and not result in a bigger problem, that would be great. History is not on that side.
    so...you hope that Obama's stimulus package WILL succeed? yes or no?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hope?...yes.....expect?.....no.....fear the damage it may cause?.....undoubtedly......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

so...you hope that Obama's stimulus package WILL succeed? yes or no?
    I hope the US will come out ok. I don't think Obama's plan, rather Pelosi/Reid plan has a real shot. I do hope I'm wrong. I don't think so though, and everyone, even YOU will pay the price. Going to Mexico will not save you, as they will be hit harder.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope the US will come out ok. I don't think Obama's plan, rather Pelosi/Reid plan has a real shot. I do hope I'm wrong. I don't think so though, and everyone, even YOU will pay the price. Going to Mexico will not save you, as they will be hit harder.
    and you know that when the economy fixes itself, obama will take the credit despite the fact that his generational theft bill more than likely harmed the economy and our country in the long run.

wasn't he just out scaring people say this is dire if doesn't pass the economy is going to get worse....now that it is passed, he says the economy is going to get worse....
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    and you know that when the economy fixes itself, obama will take the credit despite the fact that his generational theft bill more than likely harmed the economy and our country in the long run.

wasn't he just out scaring people say this is dire if doesn't pass the economy is going to get worse....now that it is passed, he says the economy is going to get worse....
    The problem is, the economy won't 'fix itself', not with trillions in debt. They killed the possibility.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The joke that was making the rounds before the last November election, is becoming more and more relevant now. That's not a good sign.
    A famous Senator died and went up to the Pearly Gates, where he met St. Peter. St. Peter looked through his Book, eyed the Senator, and said, "Well, you've had a varied life. Some good, some bad. To tell you the truth, We're a little on the fence about you. So I'll tell you what We're going to do. You can go down to Hell for 24 hours and see what it's like. Then you can come up to Heaven for the following 24 hours, and see what that's like. Then you can make a choice, of which one you want to spend the rest of Eternity in."

The Senator was surprised, and said, "Well, I can hardly imagine a more fair proposition. I'm ready when you are."

So St. Peter put the Senator in the Big Elevator, and he went down, down, down. The doors opened, and he stepped out. He found himself in a lush green country club. People were playing golf, sipping drinks in the shade, and generally enjoying themselves. All his friends were there, and the came over and greeted him happily. The Devil was there too, as expected, but the Senator found him a surprisingly agreeable fellow.

They went to a big party, and the Senator had a wonderful time, reminiscing with his friends about the good old days, eating caviar and cake, drinking wine etc. When his 24 hours was up, he was understandably reluctant to leave, but he stepped back into the Big Elevator and went up, up, up.

St. Peter greeted him at the top, and said, "Now you'll experience 24 hours of Heaven."

So the Senator entered Heaven, and found it a very nice place too. People were flying gently around with beautiful white wings, sitting on clouds, playing harps etc. There was sweetness and light everywhere, and no trouble or pain. After 24 hours of that, St. Peter came to get the Senator.

"Well, you've had a look at Hell for 24 hours, and at Heaven for 24 hours. It's time for you to decide which place you'll spend all of Eternity in. What's your decision?"

The Senator hesitated, and finally replied, "Well, this may sound strange, but both places were exceedingly nice. But I really think I'd like it better in Hell, based on what I've seen. So that's where I'd like to go."

So St. Peter brought him to the Big Elevator for the last time, and the Senator went down, down, down. He stepped out, and found himself in a brutal, fiery landscape, with heat and sulfur blasting at him from many directions. His friends were there, but they were miserable, toting heavy loads in dreadful conditions, with little to eat and drink, and no respite.

The Devil came up to him and said, "Well, looks like you decided to come here after all."

The Senator stuttered and said, "But what happened to the country club? The lush green fields? The parties, the wine, the caviar? It wasn't at all like this when I was here earlier!"

The Devil replied, "We often get that reaction. You see, yesterday we were campaigning, Senator. Today, you voted."
    Last edited by Little-Acorn; 02-15-2009 at 10:55 PM.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope you are wrong as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    White House dampens stimulus expectations

WASHINGTON (Reuters)- President Barack Obama's aides warned Americans on Sunday not to expect instant miracles from the $787 billion economic stimulus bill he will sign this week, but said it would help eventually.

Obama is due to sign the bill passed last week by Congress in Denver on Tuesday. It was the first major legislative victory of his young presidency, which could rise or fall with its success or failure.

"There will be signs of activity very quickly," David Axelrod, the White House senior adviser, said on "Fox News Sunday." "But it's going to take time for that to show up in the statistics. The president has said it's likely to get worse before it gets better."
    The stimulus is going to restore American prosperity and the American Dream but you'll never know it from the AmeriCorporate Media. All the major outlets and their vacuous talking heads, as usual, will do nothing more than deliver rightwing talking points. Axelrod is just doing a little defensive spinning.
    Building a better America by hammering the Right.