Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default Bristol Palin says abstinence is "not realistic"

I am sure that mom loved this interview.

Teen pregnancy? Not really a good idea.

Stopping teen sex? Ain't gonna happen.

So says Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's 18-year-old daughter, Bristol, who told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren Monday night that the abstinence her mom preaches is "not realistic at all."

Bristol Palin's pregnancy, revealed shortly after Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) chose Sarah Palin to be his running mate, shook up the last presidential campaign.

Bristol Palin, who gave birth in late December, described the rigors of being a teen mom, and while she wouldn't go into detail why it isn't realistic for guys and gals her age not to have sex, she did say it isn't smart to get knocked up.

"Everyone should wait 10 years," Palin said. "I hope people learn from my story.

"It's so much easier if you're married, have a house and career. It's not a situation you want to strive for."

She denied that her mother's anti-abortion views were the reason she went ahead with the pregnancy.

"It was my choice to have the baby," she said. "It doesn't matter what my mom's views are on it. It was my decision."

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Ofcourse it's not realistic, to many young girls are willing to become sluts so they can have power with young men, and too many young men pressure themselfs into wanting to fuck these sluts.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

we will never stop murder, so why bother having laws against murder, might as well teach contraceptive murder courses....how to inflict the least amount of suffering on your victim....how to inflict the least amount of collateral damage....
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that this interview just highlights to unrealistic nature of abstinence ONLY education curricula. No one is denying that abstinence is the ultimate best way to stop unwanted teen pregnancy, and the spread of STD's... but teaching abstinence as the ONLY legitimate component of a sex education is not a very reasonable approach, imho.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moderate democrat View Post
    I think that this interview just highlights to unrealistic nature of abstinence ONLY education curricula. No one is denying that abstinence is the ultimate best way to stop unwanted teen pregnancy, and the spread of STD's... but teaching abstinence as the ONLY legitimate component of a sex education is not a very reasonable approach, imho.
    I agree, teaching abstinence is fine in addition to other birth controll options, not as the only option.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I suppose one could argue that self-discipline is unrealistic, though it would be a lot more honest to simply state that you aren't willing to be self-disciplined....

I think that the claims about sexuality among teens is a lot bigger than the reality....I don't remember the exact numbers, but I recall a study done at Harvard a few years ago which showed that the number of students who had had sexual relations with more than one person by the time they were seniors in college was a lot closer to ten percent than it was to 90 percent.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Abstinence is "not realistic at all", says the girl who didn't have the discipline to keep her legs closed.

Shocking.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you're purportedly christian...what did the bible say...did the bible teach abstinence only?
    Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    you're purportedly christian...what did the bible say...did the bible teach abstinence only?
    what does my faith, or christianity in general, have to do with secular sex education methodologies in public schools?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what does my faith, or christianity in general, have to do with secular sex education methodologies in public schools?
    why can't you answer the question?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why can't you answer the question?
    because I don't see its relevance.

It would be like me jumping in and asking your opinion on A-Rod's steroid use. Who cares? What does it have to do with the topic at hand. Here is the deal... you can ask stupid irrelevant questions all day long if you like, but don't expect me to feel obligated to answer them. got it? good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

because I don't see its relevance.

It would be like me jumping in and asking your opinion on A-Rod's steroid use. Who cares? What does it have to do with the topic at hand. Here is the deal... you can ask stupid irrelevant questions all day long if you like, but don't expect me to feel obligated to answer them. got it? good.
    it has everything to do with the topic, but you are a hypocrite that demands others answer your quesitons and when others ask you questions you call them stupid and irrelevent...

abstinence only is predominently, if not soley, a christian principle. so i ask you, since you have purported on this board that you are a christian, what does the bible say because i believe the bible contradicts your view points stated in this thread.

you're just a chickenshit who hates answering questions that causes your points to lose credibility.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

the problem isn't that abstinence isn't 100% effective, just that kids aren't 100% abstinent.......I fail to see how this differs from kids who aren't 100% using contraceptives, or 100% "not drinking", or 100% "not using drugs"....it isn't the method that fails, it's the committment to the method.....
    ...full immersion.....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post

I think that the claims about sexuality among teens is a lot bigger than the reality....I don't remember the exact numbers, but I recall a study done at Harvard a few years ago which showed that the number of students who had had sexual relations with more than one person by the time they were seniors in college was a lot closer to ten percent than it was to 90 percent.....
    I would really beg to differ, I don't think I could name more than 2 dozen guys in my year who have had sex with one person or no one. This study that was done at harvard, is it a posh university? If so it may go some way to explaining why the number would be lower than one would expect.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it has everything to do with the topic, but you are a hypocrite that demands others answer your quesitons and when others ask you questions you call them stupid and irrelevent...

abstinence only is predominently, if not soley, a christian principle. so i ask you, since you have purported on this board that you are a christian, what does the bible say because i believe the bible contradicts your view points stated in this thread.

you're just a chickenshit who hates answering questions that causes your points to lose credibility.
    what the bible says about abstinence is irrelevant to a discussion about secular sex education in public schools. what MY faith is is DOUBLY irrelevant.