Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Picked up a used 30.06

Tonight after work I picked up my first hunting rifle - it's a 1978 Winchester Model 70. I paid $275. It's not in pristine condition, but that's what i wanted for a 'first rifle'.

Thoughts?

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Model 70's were the choice for target/sniper weapons for many years and some still prefer them. FN uses a model 70 action on their current super police rifles. I have one of the FN's and its nearly a tack driver. 30.06 is great old caliber so I think this combo is a real winner.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Thanks CR - that's what I was hoping for -just something to do what I need it to do.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

My son and his friend shoot fruit and vegetables with his 30.08. It sounds like a cannon going off across the little pond. They took some videos of the a turnip and a coconut exploding. The projectile generally makes a small entrance hole, a larger exit hole, and the "brains" exploding out of the exit hole send the remaining shell forward, towards the shooter. Its pretty cool, and demonstrates the "Kennedy" phenomenon perfectly.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    My son and his friend shoot fruit and vegetables
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dmpwa - plenty of fruit-blowin' up there.

Anyone have guidance on specific ammo? I'd like to zero the weapon with the same rounds i intend to use on a hunt (hog). Should I shop for anything in particular? A co-worker suggested just about any WalMart 30.06 round will do fine for my intended use.

Thoughts? I have found 30.06 ammo to be quite a bit more expensive than either my .40 or .223/5.56 rounds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

Anyone have guidance on specific ammo? I'd like to zero the weapon with the same rounds i intend to use on a hunt (hog). Should I shop for anything in particular? A co-worker suggested just about any WalMart 30.06 round will do fine for my intended use.

Thoughts? I have found 30.06 ammo to be quite a bit more expensive than either my .40 or .223/5.56 rounds.
    It may not be pristine but it's a damn good shape for it's age!

Ammo...Federal is good all around. Wal-Mart used to sell it.. I'd go 150-165 grain.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

....I'd like to zero the weapon with the same rounds i intend to use on a hunt (hog). ....
    Better to use one of these to set your sights or scope. http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Bore_...140/index.html

The accuracy of the round is mainly dependent on the precision of the copper jacket. If it's not a uniform thickness it will wobble when it spins.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I always use 165 grain soft tip for deer , but Hogs we usally hunt with dogs and once they are bayed a 357 pistol works fine, but that 165 grains soft tip does a hell of a job