Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Making the board better

I am seeking a "truce" amongst those who might see other members of this board as an enemy. I'm not asking for anyone to be buddies or have the politest of chats with one another, but to hopefully bring our discussions back to where all of the community can discuss freely.

The board has been inundated, from the current events section to the humor section, with non-stop feuding amongst some members and discussion about one another's identities. I think I can be honest and frank, and speak for the majority of the board when I say it is getting quite old. I've listened to complaints from everyone involved and believe everyone has valid points, but that does nothing to resolve the issue. Way too many threads are being derailed and I believe other members are hesitant to post in threads that this becomes the topic in.

I remain neutral in the arguments as it's simply not my argument. My job is to keep the board running and ensure that the community as a whole is enjoying the board. I see myself failing in this respect.

I have a few options though and it's up to the said participants to guide me in the direction necessary. I would rather everyone dropped personal issues and got back to discussing, even if you'd like to get heated a bit about the others views. I'm asking this as a favor to avoid any intervention from staff. If this cannot be achieved, I am asking them to instantly thread ban anyone that initiates such discussion, and any responders. No need to respond to bait threads when the "report a post" feature can be used. I don't expect anyone to initiate this stuff, whether direct or implied - and we aren't knuckleheads, we read through the lines.

I can always install a hack for the board that would allow me to "force" members to place one another on ignore, but I feel that is overstepping my boundaries. I believe we are all men and women here and differences can be worked out like adults without action that would be reserved for children. I really don't see myself ever using such an option.

So this is my though process going forward, nothing written in stone. But I am asking those involved in the feuds, PLEASE, give it a break. Nobody is going to bend or break, it's a futile argument that will accomplish absolutely nothing but more damage to the board. I am asking you guys, to help me. PLEASE, make it so that I no longer need to intervene. I don't want to be made out to be the bad guy for trying to keep the community happy as a whole while a small handful try to cyber-kill one another!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The steelers won the damn Super Bowl Jim, you didn't have to make a rule like this to keep us from talking bad about em! They hushed us up without your help!!!!!
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Making the board better
    find us some liberals who know how to debate.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Ah hell, I thought this was a thread about me...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jim,

i agree......they feuding has sort of taken the bloom of the rose for me here.....not that i am any saint......but i think we as acommunity should try to hold each other accountable and try to stop each other from trashing the place......

that said....happy to help you anyway i can.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    find us some liberals who know how to debate.....
    That would be paradox, no? If they could actually debate, they wouldn't be liberal, would they?
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can make the board better?

How? A weekly lottery with a reasonable chance of winning?

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    You can make the board better?

How? A weekly lottery with a reasonable chance of winning?

Immie
    Keeping stupid to a minimum would be a start, no?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

You can't fix stupid.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Everyone has a right to be stupid; some people just abuse the privilege.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

There are only two races on this planet-the intelligent and the stupid.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i always liked........

in the morning i will be sober......but you will still be stupid.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    i always liked........

Ok.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    i always liked........

Which is a varition of a Winston Churchill quote, "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Which is a varition of a Winston Churchill quote, "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
    I remember. Then too many will be sober, as they are now, and quite alright to parade in public. Still able to differentiate between stupid and not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to say I agree with you on this one. I have been away from the board for a while and coming back I must say some of the comments being made are just vicious and personal.

We should be able to discuss the topics with some decorum. I applaud your efforts in trying to obtain a truce of sorts.

Thank you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I belong to another debate site as well where I am a Moderator. However, we have a few moderators there that have the tendency to ban people quite often. I am one of the few if not the only conservative voice on the site. I have grown weary of that site because so much of the debate is gone. There are so many liberals that frequent the site that I cannot always keep up with the debates. Lately it seems as though the site has been taken over by the homosexual supporters, if you are anti-gay you can expect to be reported to the moderator and shortly thereafter banned. The only reason they cannot ban me is that I am a moderator and have been on that site longer than most of them.

I like this site because there is actually a mixture of viewpoints, and while the bickering between people can be annoying, at least we have people bickering.

I am not sure if there is an easy answer or a quick fix to the problem of bickering between members, that is what usually happens when you have different viewpoints and ideologies. I for the most part try treat everyone with respect, but sometime the arguments you come accross from those who oppose you make little to no sense or have nothing to do with the points made, and sometimes it is frustrating and hard to not to respond with what some might consider derogatory twist to your comment.

dmk
    Conservatism, I repeat is not an ideology. It does not breed fanatics....But if you want men who seek, reasonably and prudently, to reconcile the best in wisdom of our ancestors with the change which is essential to a vigorous civil social existence, then you will do well to turn to conservative principles-Russell Kirk-