Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 91% of America Believes in God

I suppose things aren't quite as bad as they may seem. It sure shows groups like Americans for Separation of Church and State to be in the distinct minority.

--------------
    The latest Newsweek poll found 91 percent of American adults say they believe in God and nearly half rejects the scientific theory of evolution.

Despite concerns over rising secularism in the country, Christians still far outnumber any other faith group. According to the poll, released on Friday, 82 percent of American adults identify themselves as Christian. Religious non-Christians make up only 5 percent of the public.

Poll results come months after Time magazine reported 66 percent of American have no doubts God exists while 11 percent believe in God but has some doubts. The Time report also revealed more than 85 percent of Americans follow a Christian faith.

Link

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    I suppose things aren't quite as bad as they may seem. It sure shows groups like Americans for Separation of Church and State to be in the distinct minority.

--------------
    The latest Newsweek poll found 91 percent of American adults say they believe in God and nearly half rejects the scientific theory of evolution.

Despite concerns over rising secularism in the country, Christians still far outnumber any other faith group. According to the poll, released on Friday, 82 percent of American adults identify themselves as Christian. Religious non-Christians make up only 5 percent of the public.

Poll results come months after Time magazine reported 66 percent of American have no doubts God exists while 11 percent believe in God but has some doubts. The Time report also revealed more than 85 percent of Americans follow a Christian faith.

Link
    I'm taking a WAG as to what the Americans for Separation of Church and State are for, but assuming it is derived from their name, how does even a 100% belief in a God correlate to not wanting the separation of church and state?
    God bless America, but she stole the "b" from bless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see any correlation between a belief or disbelief in a deity and a desire to maintain a separation of religion and government.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe that the percentage of atheists/agnostics in such an organization is significantly higher than the percentage of atheists/agnostics in the general population. But you are correct, it's not made up only of atheists and agnostics.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe that the percentage of atheists/agnostics in such an organization is significantly higher than the percentage of atheists/agnostics in the general population. But you are correct, it's not made up only of atheists and agnostics.
    Many agnostics would argue they believe in a God, FWIW.
    God bless America, but she stole the "b" from bless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately just saying one believes in God doesn't mean they want to promote God's will according to the Bible. There are probably a lot of people that believe in God but don't believe in much of the bible, much less Jesus's teachings. Just look at all the people that call themselves Christians yet push for abortion-on-demand and promote/accept homosexuality in our culture.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    Unfortunately just saying one believes in God doesn't mean they want to promote God's will according to the Bible. There are probably a lot of people that believe in God but don't believe in much of the bible, much less Jesus's teachings. Just look at all the people that call themselves Christians yet push for abortion-on-demand and promote/accept homosexuality in our culture.

It's not that I "promote/accept" homosexuality..it's just that I could care less about it. I do, however, support any and all legislation that keeps that type of lifestyle out of schools, military etc. I don't want my daughter to think that "homosexuality" is a natural thing because that's what she learns in school. I want her to realize that homosexualilty is a perverse act that was considered to be a mental affliction, grouped with pedophilia (not that they were classified as one in the same, but rather both are sexual mental disorders) until the 1970's. And if it weren't for the PC lapdogs of this country worried about getting every single vote they can, homosexuality would still be labeled as perverse and not accepted.

I do not condone gay bashing or anything like that, I just don't want to be told that I'm "wrong" because I disagree with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I took Jeff's point to be that when we 90% of us are forced to change our behaviors because of threatened or real lawsuits by groups such as these, we are suffering from the tyranny of the few. And with that point, I totally agree. Whether or not the particular group he cited is made up of all atheists is a related, but somewhat tangential issue.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The ClayTaurus View Post
    Many agnostics would argue they believe in a God, FWIW.
    My understanding is that agnostics find it impossible to know whether there is a God, and so the question becomes irrelevant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I took Jeff's point to be that when we 90% of us are forced to change our behaviors because of threatened or real lawsuits by groups such as these, we are suffering from the tyranny of the few. And with that point, I totally agree. Whether or not the particular group he cited is made up of all atheists is a related, but somewhat tangential issue.
    How exactly does the maintenance of the separation of church and state force you to change your behavior?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    How exactly does the maintenance of the separation of church and state force you to change your behavior?
    If it didn't, there would be no lawsuits.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    If it didn't, there would be no lawsuits.
    That doesn't come even close to answering my question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem isnt the separation of Church and state. The problem is there are hostile athiests/agnostics who are out there using the claim of "Separation of Church and State" to infringe on the Free exercise of religion.

Problem is the establishment is a limited provision which is exclusion design to prevent there from being a state Church. There is no state church. There never has been. There never will be. Those using the establishment clause are using it in a way that it was never intended.

Oh and the establishment clause and free exercise clause were designed to limit government, not religion. It was designed to keep government from interfering in religion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    The problem isnt the separation of Church and state. The problem is there are hostile athiests/agnostics who are out there using the claim of "Separation of Church and State" to infringe on the Free exercise of religion.
    An often touted claim, but one that is weightless unless you can show where anyone's church has been closed, Bible seized, forced conversion, etc. by way of any of these law suits.

The real problem lies with the pushy thumpers who aren't satisfied to live their own lives and feel compelled to dictate their morality to everyone else. Those are the people who define free exercise of religion as license to subject even the unwilling to their mythological hogwash.

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Problem is the establishment is a limited provision which is exclusion design to prevent there from being a state Church. There is no state church. There never has been. There never will be. Those using the establishment clause are using it in a way that it was never intended.

Oh and the establishment clause and free exercise clause were designed to limit government, not religion. It was designed to keep government from interfering in religion.
    It only makes sense that the intent was to prevent either from interfering with the other.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An often touted claim, but one that is weightless unless you can show where anyone's church has been closed, Bible seized, forced conversion, etc. by way of any of these law suits.

The real problem lies with the pushy thumpers who aren't satisfied to live their own lives and feel compelled to dictate their morality to everyone else. Those are the people who define free exercise of religion as license to subject even the unwilling to their mythological hogwash.

It only makes sense that the intent was to prevent either from interfering with the other.
    I do agree that there are those who wish to make everybody believe in Christianity. I dare say, however, that there are an equal number who would like to force people not to believe in Christianity. Calling someone's religion "mythology" is not only rude, it's showing yourself to be one of the latter I speak of.

It amazes me that people still argue "seperation of church and state". What does that mean? Does that mean I can't pray while I'm at school? Why not? Of course I wouldn't expect to be able to pray out loud, neither would I say I should be able to disrupt class with talking at anytime. But who is it to tell me that I can't pray silently each morning before class? Who's to tell me that I CAN'T pray, as a judge, lawyer etc before a case just because I'm in a courthouse? THIS is what "Seperation of Church and State" means. It does NOT mean I can't do these things, it means I can worship any way I feel as long as i'm not forcing it on others.