Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Bad analogy. Not allowing SILENT prayer in schools is akin to not allowing me to THINK. Period. Nothing's stopping them from doing it. But why do you find it necessary to make it ILLEGAL for kids to be quiet for half a minute?
    Prayer doesn't HAVE to be performed in school, but who are you to tell me that I CAN'T pray when and where i want?
    I find it hard to believe that you think kids are being prevented from praying silently because the school doesn't designate the prayer time. Your argument is illogical. If a kid is sitting quietly, who's to know if he or she is praying or not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've already stated that I think it's counter-productive...but who are you to tell me what to say in public?
    Where did I say you can't say whatever you wish? All I said was I don't have to listen to it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Who cares why they want to do it in school? The fact is, they do, and can't. That is infringement of their right to freedom of religious expression.
    This is as untrue as when Grunt said it. Children are not being prevented from praying silently in school, it's as impossible as preventing someone from daydreaming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you think kids are being prevented from praying silently because the school doesn't designate the prayer time. Your argument is illogical. If a kid is sitting quietly, who's to know if he or she is praying or not.
    I don't. I just don't think it should be up to the Government to decide if a school should have "silent time" or not. It should be left up to a vote of the parents and students of that school. (Students if it's High School, just parents if younger)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't. I just don't think it should be up to the Government to decide if a school should have "silent time" or not. It should be left up to a vote of the parents and students of that school. (Students if it's High School, just parents if younger)
    So your hangup is on the lack of a designated "moment of silence". Since we agree that this lack in no way effects the kids ability to have their silent prayer, the purpose of the moment is what exactly?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So your hangup is on the lack of a designated "moment of silence". Since we agree that this lack in no way effects the kids ability to have their silent prayer, the purpose of the moment is what exactly?

No, my problem is the Government TRYING to prevent kids from praying silently in school. I mean, for hwat other reasons would they not want a "silent time". Can you give me some other reason, legitimate reason, why you think they shouldn't have a silent time?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, my problem is the Government TRYING to prevent kids from praying silently in school. I mean, for hwat other reasons would they not want a "silent time". Can you give me some other reason, legitimate reason, why you think they shouldn't have a silent time?
    You didn't answer my question. If kids are indeed NOT being prevented from praying by the lack of a designated moment of silence, why is this designated moment required? I'd like to hear a legitimate reason why a religious practice (ceremony?) should be included in the public school schedule if it has no impact on kid's ability to pray silently while in school.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here in Australia it's arguably as much a "Christian" population as the States, but they don't mix politics and religion anywhere near as much. People seem to realize that religion is a personal matter and that you can't force your religion on other people, especially not through politics. I must say it's much better that way. People can't agree on religion or politics, mixing them is like a speedball. Only an addict would think it's a good thing.
    Pork, good for you, bad for Muslims and Jews.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the Bible were the only document ever in which murder was established to be wrong you might have a point.
    So, if there is some other document out there outside of the Bible that establishes certain behaviors as wrong, then you won't say its religion pushing its morals on everyone else?

Is the Bible the only document in the world that condemns homosexuality? If not, then how could you say an anti-homosexual stance on issues is an example of pushing religion on others?
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=theHawk;33882]So, if there is some other document out there outside of the Bible that establishes certain behaviors as wrong, then you won't say its religion pushing its morals on everyone else?

There are, for the most part, universally accepted laws against murder, theft of another's property, perjury, etc. The prohibition of these offenses is not unique to any religion or society. There are however lots of blue laws still on the books that were put in place to do nothing other than push morals.

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    Is the Bible the only document in the world that condemns homosexuality? If not, then how could you say an anti-homosexual stance on issues is an example of pushing religion on others?
    Where did I say this?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    I suppose things aren't quite as bad as they may seem. It sure shows groups like Americans for Separation of Church and State to be in the distinct minority.

--------------
    The latest Newsweek poll found 91 percent of American adults say they believe in God and nearly half rejects the scientific theory of evolution.

Despite concerns over rising secularism in the country, Christians still far outnumber any other faith group. According to the poll, released on Friday, 82 percent of American adults identify themselves as Christian. Religious non-Christians make up only 5 percent of the public.

Poll results come months after Time magazine reported 66 percent of American have no doubts God exists while 11 percent believe in God but has some doubts. The Time report also revealed more than 85 percent of Americans follow a Christian faith.

Link
    Sorry but I don't think the fact that 91 percent of Americans believe in God automatically means they'd support prayer in schools. In a related story, radical Muslims who adhere to Shariah law do support prayer in schools...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Sorry but I don't think the fact that 91 percent of Americans believe in God automatically means they'd support prayer in schools. In a related story, radical Muslims who adhere to Shariah law do support prayer in schools...
    And in a related story, Muslims are against theft and murder. If we don't allow people to steal and kill all they want, then the terrorists have already won, eh?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    And in a related story, Muslims are against theft and murder. If we don't allow people to steal and kill all they want, then the terrorists have already won, eh?
    Bad example. All people are against theft and murder. Try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where did I say this?
    You didn't, I am trying to understand your logic though.
    The "you" was meant more for people in general who say religious people are "pushing their morals onto them", such as homosexual issues, gay marriage, abortion ect.
    What I don't understand is how you can say I have "no point" about my example of murder because the Bible is not the only source to condemn murder. You imply that if multiple documents outside of the Bible share the same moral values, then it isn't an example of religion pushing its morals.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    You didn't, I am trying to understand your logic though.
    The "you" was meant more for people in general who say religious people are "pushing their morals onto them", such as homosexual issues, gay marriage, abortion ect.
    What I don't understand is how you can say I have "no point" about my example of murder because the Bible is not the only source to condemn murder. You imply that if multiple documents outside of the Bible share the same moral values, then it isn't an example of religion pushing its morals.
    Murder, universally accepted by nearly every human being as a taboo, is not a religious moral just because it's listed in the Bible. IMO, religious morals are those that fall outside the universally acccepted, morals like those of the Ten Commandments that don't deal with killing, stealing, and perjury.

Blue laws are perfect examples of forced compliance with religious morals. The commandment to keep the sabbath holy led to prohibition of alcohol sales on Sundays.