Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Ohh Edison was a very inteligent guy he was also VERY RUTHLESS and very much a capitalist.... If not for Tesla we would not have AC but only DC and we would have to have local electric stations or a "jump" station about every mile for the electric lines.....

Edison attempted to ruin Tesla and discredit him EVERY chance he could, fortunately Tesla was selfless in his work (a little wacked).
    LOL! Going to have to do more reading on the guy. Certainly have heard of him, but Edison certainly was everything you said.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybone View Post
    He was probably refering to the Edison remark, which nothing was shown to back up the claim.
    You expected little psycho to back up and insult aimed at capitalists, with FACTS???

"The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tesla was also a capitolist. Very much so! Edison was smart but greedy. Tesla was smart and willing to take great risks in exploration. Both contributed. Basically Tesla PUNKED Edison in every way!
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emmett View Post
    Tesla was also a capitolist. Very much so! Edison was smart but greedy. Tesla was smart and willing to take great risks in exploration. Both contributed. Basically Tesla PUNKED Edison in every way!
    Not in every way. Who do kids study in school.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Not in every way. Who do kids study in school.
    Are you referring to US Government schools?

Gotcha!
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emmett View Post
    Are you referring to US Government schools?

Gotcha!
    What are government schools? I'm in a private school, still subject to state goals and objectives.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know that. Come on. Thing is though if you research Tesla you will see that it should be he that children are learning about, the fact that they are not demonstrates a serious flaw in out education system. He punked Edison at every turn. Edison insisted we use DC power Kathy. Just that one fact alone shows what a fool he actually was. Just a fool! Plain and simple.

When proven wrong, as he was , since we use AC (Alternating Current), he refused to admit he was wrong. Such is the mistake of the ages, not being able to admit when one is wrong.

Tesla was a strange bird and would make for much more interesting learning I would think than Edison as well. My 9th Grade Science teacher, Mr. Burton, a coach at my High School who was not thought much of acedemically, did in fact teach his students about Tesla. I enjoyed it very much. Was interesting to actually know where our electricity REALLY came from instead of the fable being taught in schools.

Seekers of information like to arrive at the truth. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. You could no doubt "SCHOOL" us all in that. I would recommend some research into this subject and then you will see why everyone seems to concur in this matter. You'll enjoy the research I'm sure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

What are government schools? I'm in a private school, still subject to state goals and objectives.
    Not to mention what the texts teach.

To bring Tesla in would be lecture. I've got to decide to do so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Not to mention what the texts teach.

To bring Tesla in would be lecture. I've got to decide to do so.
    Actually the history channel (I think) has a great segment on Tesla. You should be able to buy that and show it to your class. It goes into detail about the "fued" between Tesla and Edison......
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Actually the history channel (I think) has a great segment on Tesla. You should be able to buy that and show it to your class. It goes into detail about the "fued" between Tesla and Edison......
    Actually I believe that Emmett began the discussion with having seen this on History Channel. As I said, I'd have to decide that it was worth bringing in the enrichment, meaning figuring out why Tesla has been left out of texts to begin with. Seriously, right now, I've not a clue. On the other hand, I doubt very much that would be true of the authors of the texts, thus there is a reason. May or may not be a good reason.

History Channel has some very good things on it, also some very bad history. I liked it much more years ago. Kind of reminding me of FOX, someone took a very good product, thought they could 'improve' it by reaching for some audience beyond them. History Channel was reaching for 'the masses.' Fox seems to be going for the extreme right wing now.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 04-10-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Actually I believe that Emmett began the discussion with having seen this on History Channel. As I said, I'd have to decide that it was worth brining in the enrichment, meaning figuring out why Tesla has been left out of texts to begin with. Seriously, right now, I've not a clue. On the other hand, I doubt very much that would be true of the authors of the texts, thus there is a reason. May or may not be a good reason.

History Channel has some very good things on it, also some very bad history. I liked it much more years ago. Kind of reminding me of FOX, someone took a very good product, thought they could 'improve' it by reaching for some audience beyond them. History Channel was reaching for 'the masses.' Fox seems to be going for the extreme right wing now.
    On a side note about Tesla. Marconii was credited with the invention of the radio! He used all of Telsa's patented parts to make it after visiting with Tesla. they have now changed it so Tesla "invented" the radio.

remember history is written by the winners. tesla in his later years died poor and very disturbed, Edison on the other hand was a showman to the end and played to the public...
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

When so many people whom I admire say the same thing, makes me figure it's worth my time to do some reading. I will. It's too late for this year's class, were through the 'inventors.'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kathy is right. I was watching The History Channel one day when the special came on. I ws already familiar with Tesla, as mentioned my teacher in school was obviously a fan and had an interest in setting the record straight for his students.

Tesla did end his life as a recluse and broken. Allot of his ideas were way out there. Waaaay out there. Of course when you look at some of the other inventors they had some way out there ideas also.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)