Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Surprising Star Explosion Upsets Theory

We're studying stars right now. Wonder why they teach us stuff as fact and make us test over it in science when science especially on this kinda stuff is always changing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/surpri...GKDExq6joDW7oF

A recently-observed supernova is making some astrophysicists doubt prevailing theories for how stars die.

The massive star, located in galaxy UGC 4904 about 77 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Lynx, threw off a huge amount of material on October 20, 2004. This star, which may have been what's known as a Luminous Blue Variable (LBV), was mistaken for a supernova, as LBV's often are. In fact, some observers refer to them as "supernova imposters."

Then, in the fall of 2006, the star exploded into a full supernova, much sooner than expected. Dubbed Supernova 2006jc, the dying star's blast wave apparently reached the shell of drifting material released in the earlier outburst in mere hours.

The wave heated the ejected gases to millions of degrees, sparking X-ray emissions of an intensity and duration never before detected. NASA's Swift satellite recorded X-rays brightening from the supernova for an unprecedented 100 days. All previously observed supernovae have initially appeared bright in X-rays before quickly turning invisible.

"We have never observed a stellar outburst and then later seen the star explode," said University of California at Berkeley astronomer Ryan Foley.

Using the 10-meter (32.8-foot) Keck telescope in Hawaii, his group observed narrow helium spectral lines that showed that the supernova's blast wave ran into a slow-moving shell of material, presumed to be the upper layers of the star ejected two years earlier. Had the supernova's fast-moving blast wave been measured unobstructed, its spectral lines would have been much broader.

"It disrupts our current model of stellar evolution," Foley said. "We really don't know what caused this star to have such a large eruption so soon before it went supernova."

Foley's colleague, Nathan Smith, also of the University of California at Berkeley, said, "The fact that we have no well-established theory for what actually causes these outbursts is the elephant in the living room that nobody is talking about."

The supernova, classified as a variant of a Type Ib, was first sighted by Japanese amateur astronomer Koichi Itagaki, American amateur astronomer Tim Puckett and Italian amateur Roberto Gorelli.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just like "Man Made" global warming....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't know what she posted as I have her on ignore but it must have been Bush's fault.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ignore hu, then don't respond to threads you know nothing about and make yourself look like an ass.

and fuck you, you piece of shit moron, you can't see this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Just like "Man Made" global warming....
    The way they tought, seems like there is a lot of evidence for this theory and yest global warmings tought as fact. We got to watch the Al Gore movie over it and everything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    The way they tought, seems like there is a lot of evidence for this theory and yest global warmings tought as fact. We got to watch the Al Gore movie over it and everything.

What?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ignore hu, then don't respond to threads you know nothing about and make yourself look like an ass.

and fuck you, you piece of shit moron, you can't see this.
    what an inapropriate response

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

The massive star, located in galaxy UGC 4904 about 77 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Lynx, threw off a huge amount of material on October 20, 2004. T

What they are really saying is they've looked back in Time. That star, if it's REALLY 77 MILLION light-years away, actually blew up 77 Million years ago, and we're seeing it only now.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    what an inapropriate response
    I dunno; if you have someone on ignore yet respond to them anyways, I think it's pretty stupid.
    God bless America, but she stole the "b" from bless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's pretty stupid when people follow you around saying they have you on ignore.

As for the responce. What, not like he could see it before someone quoted me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's pretty stupid when people follow you around saying they have you on ignore.
    Gotta agree with that.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

LN, science class will do that to you. My daughter just sat through the Gore guessumentary in class, and hated being forced to do so. She told me she was proud up until that day to say she never saw it. Love her!

They went from the theory of global warming to the theory of evolution. To her teacher's credit, she intro'ed the evolution unit by telling the kids it is a theory, but it must be studied.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    What they are really saying is they've looked back in Time. That star, if it's REALLY 77 MILLION light-years away, actually blew up 77 Million years ago, and we're seeing it only now.
    Actually, gravity affects the speed of light. So, no telling HOW far away it actually is/was, or when it blew up.
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!
    Blessed be Your name!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
    Actually, gravity affects the speed of light. So, no telling HOW far away it actually is/was, or when it blew up.
    Great point!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
    Smart woman!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey