Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Will "Torture" Hearings Include Democrats?

Since Dems are calling for hearings into waterboarding, who did it, and who approved it - will Nancy Pelosi be called as a witness?

Somehow I doubt it. I do not remember ANY DEMOCRAT who voiced any concern or opposition to waterboarding terrorists when they were given a tour and viewed videos of terrorists being waterboarded

Hill Briefed on Waterboarding in 2002
    In Meetings, Spy Panels' Chiefs Did Not Protest, Officials Say

By Joby Warrick and Dan Eggen
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Sunday, December 9, 2007; A01

In September 2002, four members of Congress met in secret for a first look at a unique CIA program designed to wring vital information from reticent terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. For more than an hour, the bipartisan group, which included current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), was given a virtual tour of the CIA's overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk.

Among the techniques described, said two officials present, was waterboarding, a practice that years later would be condemned as torture by Democrats and some Republicans on Capitol Hill. But on that day, no objections were raised. Instead, at least two lawmakers in the room asked the CIA to push harder, two U.S. officials said.

"The briefer was specifically asked if the methods were tough enough," said a U.S. official who witnessed the exchange.

Congressional leaders from both parties would later seize on waterboarding as a symbol of the worst excesses of the Bush administration's counterterrorism effort. The CIA last week admitted that videotape of an interrogation of one of the waterboarded detainees was destroyed in 2005 against the advice of Justice Department and White House officials, provoking allegations that its actions were illegal and the destruction was a coverup.

Yet long before "waterboarding" entered the public discourse, the CIA gave key legislative overseers about 30 private briefings, some of which included descriptions of that technique and other harsh interrogation methods, according to interviews with multiple U.S. officials with firsthand knowledge.

With one known exception, no formal objections were raised by the lawmakers briefed about the harsh methods during the two years in which waterboarding was employed, from 2002 to 2003, said Democrats and Republicans with direct knowledge of the matter. The lawmakers who held oversight roles during the period included Pelosi and Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.) and Sens. Bob Graham (D-Fla.) and John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.), as well as Rep. Porter J. Goss (R-Fla.) and Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...801664_pf.html

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

good question. I am not sure whether merely being briefed on illegal activities causes those who are briefed to be considered as breaking the law. I think that is a matter for the courts to decide, don't you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moderate democrat View Post
    good question. I am not sure whether merely being briefed on illegal activities causes those who are briefed to be considered as breaking the law. I think that is a matter for the courts to decide, don't you?
    Translation - No way. Demsocrats are running things and they will decide who will be called to testify

So what is Pelosi was virtual tour of the CIA's overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk?

She has a "D" at the end of her name so is entitled and will be given protection

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    Translation - No way. Demsocrats are running things and they will decide who will be called to testify

So what is Pelosi was virtual tour of the CIA's overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk?

She has a "D" at the end of her name so is entitled and will be given protection
    If she broke any laws, I think she should be prosecuted. I think that for anyone of any party. As I said, I am not certain whether merely KNOWING about an illegal activity is itself illegal but would be perfectly willing to have the courts decide that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

snip

In September 2002, four members of Congress met in secret for a first look at a unique CIA program designed to wring vital information from reticent terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. For more than an hour, the bipartisan group, which included current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi(D-Calif.), was given a virtual tour of the CIA’s overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

So if San Fran Nan knew "laws" were being violated that would make her an accessory after the fact

But somehow I think YOU, the Dem party, and the liberal media will give her a pass, and all the protection she needs

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    snip

In September 2002, four members of Congress met in secret for a first look at a unique CIA program designed to wring vital information from reticent terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. For more than an hour, the bipartisan group, which included current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi(D-Calif.), was given a virtual tour of the CIA’s overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

So if San Fran Nan knew "laws" were being violated that would make her an accessory after the fact

But somehow I think YOU, the Dem party, and the liberal media will give her a pass, and all the protection she needs
    you're not a lawyer and neither am I... if she is guilty of a crime, she should be prosecuted. I would not agree to her getting any sort of pass.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nancy Pelosi, bellow America should take the high road.

They lecture how America should be above this type of torture. They sneer how America has lost it’s standing in the world because of this type of harsh interrogation.

As a matter of fact, some didn’t think the CIA was going far enough with their interrogations.

So what changed Virgil?

Did Nancy Pelosi suddenly develop a set of morals? Waterboarding was considered fine with the liberals until they could say Pres Bush was committing crimes against humanity, and violating the terrorist's civil rights.

The anti-war movement of the Dem party started as a political movement, not a moral movement.

Nothing will be said of Pelosi's or any other Dems knowledge about waterboarding Virgil

We both know that

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my personal opposition to torture has always been that it violates the supreme law of the land... and that it sets the standard for what sort of treatment we will condone for OUR troops held prisoner in the future. My opposition to torture has never been about politics. If anyone broke the law regarding torture, I would want to see them prosecuted, regardless of their political affiliation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I notice that you've been following around red like a puppy dog. Is he your owner?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

my personal opposition to torture has always been that it violates the supreme law of the land... and that it sets the standard for what sort of treatment we will condone for OUR troops held prisoner in the future. My opposition to torture has never been about politics. If anyone broke the law regarding torture, I would want to see them prosecuted, regardless of their political affiliation.
    I see you've conveniently ignored thee fact that the guys that we used enhanced techniques on weren't "troops", since they had no uniforms and fought with no respect to international rules of combat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    I notice that you've been following around red like a puppy dog. Is he your owner?
    Glock, I have owned him since he posted under MFM

He is so desperate for attention, despite his feeble debate skills. I am the only one here who replies to his insane rants

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I see you've conveniently ignored thee fact that the guys that we used enhanced techniques on weren't "troops", since they had no uniforms and fought with no respect to international rules of combat.
    and will ignore his fellow Dems know about, and supported, waterboarding terrorists

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What does Hillary have to hide?

<script src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/js/2.0/video/evp/module.js?loc=dom&vid=/video/politics/2009/04/22/sot.clinton.dig.cheney.cnn" type="text/javascript"></script><noscript>Embedded video from <a href="http://www.cnn.com/video">CNN Video</a></noscript>

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and I have never suggested that the Geneva Convention applies to them...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

and I have never suggested that the Geneva Convention applies to them...
    But you do having support dead Americans killed in a terror attack, rather then using all methods to stop the attacks

Party over country once again

Ronald Reagan