Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Wow. I knew kids weren't getting much in the way of civics education, but I really didn't think it was this bad.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    Oh it is always optional. What you think somebody threatened Condi with beheading if she didn't scarf up?
    Condoleeza Rice was photographed wearing a head scarf in a Mosque, where it is undoubtedly mandatory.
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 04-10-2007 at 04:38 PM.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Okay ... so my question would be ...

In what context did Barbara Bush and Condoleeza Rice wear the khimār, versus what context Pelosi wore it?

Whether or not it was optional in each case will suffice.
    The answer to your question is very simple: I neither know nor care. Sir.

Again, the post was for the benefit of one of the partisan hacks around here, not for yours.
    If you're worth less than $5 million and you vote for McCain, you're a loser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    You keep forgetting that Republicans also made the same trip that Pelosi did, and that Speaker Gingrich did similar things, without a peep of protest from all the people who are now calling for Pelosi's head on a platter.
    I didn't call for anyone's head on a platter. I said IMO her trip was unethical. If Repulican representatives did it against the President's wishes, and in contradiction to current foreign policy, then the same applies to them with one exception:

She's the brand name, and she's the leader. With greater power comes greater responsibility.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't call for anyone's head on a platter. I said IMO her trip was unethical. If Repulican representatives did it against the President's wishes, and in contradiction to current foreign policy, then the same applies to them with one exception:

She's the brand name, and she's the leader. With greater power comes greater responsibility.
    It's a shame that nobody at 1600 PA Ave. seems to have figured that out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

OK, but he still has no right to tell Pelosi she can't go there. Pelosi was doing her job as speaker, Bush should tend to his jopb as pres and butt out when it isn't his business.

Her job is Speaker of the House of Representatives, not Secretary of State.

You mean like Newt Gingrich did?

He'd been gone so long I don't remember anything he did, so if you're making a specific point, spell it out.

Just because Bush decides that another nation is "hostile to US interests" doesn't make it so. Cuba never did anything to US, nor did North Korea, or Iraq. See how that works?

You obviously don't see how it works. Cuba was the USSR's surrogate in our back yard, and almost became a nuclear launching pad for them.

We are STILL at war with North Korea. Only a cease-fire keeps the guns quiet. There has been no peace treaty.

Iraq threatened our interests, and our allies, and invaded one of them. That one's a no-brainer.

Obviously you need to do a little historical research.

Pelosi did nothing wrong.

Reagan on the other hand commited treason while he bargained with the Iranians as a private citizen. He conspired with an active enemy who was holding American hostages, nearly an act of war.

This pretty much sums up your entire MO. Ignore Pelosi's indiscretion while continually pointing fingers at every Republicanand history you can think of and laying some lame-ass accusation on them.

Iran really was our enemy. Just like Saudi Arabia really is our enemy today.

Israel really did attack and almost sink the USS Liberty, but lotsa folks talk to Israel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a U.S. Navy intelligence ship, USS Liberty, in international waters about 12.5 nautical miles (23 km) from the coast of the Sinai Peninsula, north of El Arish, by Israeli fighter planes and torpedo boats on June 8, 1967.

It occurred during the Six-Day War, a conflict between Israel and the Arab states of Egypt, Jordan and Syria. The Israeli attack killed 34 U.S. servicemen and wounded at least 173. The attack was the second-deadliest against a U.S. warship since the end of World War II, surpassed only by the Iraqi Exocet missile attack on the USS Stark on May 17, 1987, and marked the single greatest loss of life by the U.S. intelligence community.
    I don't disagree that Iran is and has been our enemy and no one disagrees that Israel attacked one of our ships during a time of war. Shit happens. They apologized.

When you discover an inexpensive alternative fuel source, be sure and let the government know so we don't have to deal with the Saudis anymore.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    The answer to your question is very simple: I neither know nor care. Sir.

Again, the post was for the benefit of one of the partisan hacks around here, not for yours.
    Well, thanks for complying with the request of one of the partisan hacks around here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    It's a shame that nobody at 1600 PA Ave. seems to have figured that out.
    It's a shame that ahem some partisan hacks make statements such as this knowing the opposite is true.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a shame that ahem some partisan hacks make statements such as this knowing the opposite is true.
    Please tell me you're not one of those who thinks the electorate is made up exclusively of hard-core Bush-worshipers and far left Democrats, with no relatively sane voting blocs to be found.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They shouldn't have worn them either. Your point?
    Actually, I figure it is appropriate. The hijab is a cultural affect only. Yes, it has roots in Islam, but the hijab is literally a cover whereas teh khimar(sp?) is the actual veil. It's no more offensive than the tradition among a number of Christian denominations which insist women wear skirts or dresses rather than jeans.

IMO, when traveling it is proper to observe the basic customs of your host country, just as you would observe your host's rules when in their house. It's a matter of courtesy. Now if you're not comfortable with your host's customs, you should discuss it beforehand, and decide whether you want to visit or not (if your host insists you adhere to their traditions).

So I don't have a problem with Condi Rice, Laura Bush or Nancy Pelosi for wearing the hijab while visiting in the Middle East.

(I still think that Pelosi stepped over her authority while on her trip, but that's a different aspect which should be discussed separately.)
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't disagree that Iran is and has been our enemy and no one disagrees that Israel attacked one of our ships during a time of war. Shit happens. They apologized.

Iran WAS our enemy 27 years ago.

Pelosi's trip is pale in comparison to many, many other GOPers and Dems alike who actually did interfere in our foreign affairs.

Singling out Pelosi while ignoring dramatically more blatant offenses, like the Iran contra afair is crap.

And Cuba's revolution including Castro were our ALLIES until we abandoned Castor's revolution in mid sentence.

When you discover an inexpensive alternative fuel source, be sure and let the government know so we don't have to deal with the Saudis anymore.
    Kewl, so when our enemies with oil attack us directly, on our soil, we make up and hold hands with them...

But when freinds with oil don't attack us we invade their nations and occupy them into complete destruction.

Very logical, reasonable, and natural.

I am surprised I never really understood our methodology until now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pelosi's trip is pale in comparison to many, many other GOPers and Dems alike who actually did interfere in our foreign affairs.

Singling out Pelosi while ignoring dramatically more blatant offenses, like the Iran contra afair is crap.

And Cuba's revolution including Castro were our ALLIES until we abandoned Castor's revolution in mid sentence.

Kewl, so when our enemies with oil attack us directly, on our soil, we make up and hold hands with them...

But when freinds with oil don't attack us we invade their nations and occupy them into complete destruction.

Using the nationalities of some hijackers to attempt to portray 9/11 as a Saudi attack on America is bullshit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ah the dirty hands argument ..... since you are scum we can be scum too ....

what happend to dems being on the high moral ground?

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    Using the nationalities of some hijackers to attempt to portray 9/11 as a Saudi attack on America is bullshit.
    uh...that would be racisim wouldn't it?

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    uh...that would be racisim wouldn't it?
    Certainly discrimination. Are all Saudis terrorists? Do they not bleed when pricked? Laugh when tickled?