Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Craigslist Controversy Opens many debate topics!

For the love of opening up Pandora's Box...Anyone up for debating the issues spawned from Craig's List Controversies?

Craigslist controversy reflects broader societal dilemma
    "This points to a larger truth about the Web. It brings with it a healthy dose of transparency to just about everything it touches. It makes it harder to stuff things in the corner and pretend they don't exist.
    Opponents of legalized prostitution have lots of legitimate arguments about gender inequity, concerns about child prostitution and potential abuse. Those are issues that can't be ignored."

Several issues to consider debating:
    1. Shouldn't Craig's List at least be held to some form of moral standards/social accountability like the other giants? Ex: creating a hidden/login required adult section that prohibits "services" like eBay does?
    2. The obvious prostitution issue.
    or
    3. Economic impact of global internet marketplaces: Globalization vs. Localization
    Last edited by creativeage; 06-06-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spacing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by creativeage View Post
    For the love of opening up Pandora's Box...Anyone up for debating the issues spawned from Craig's List Controversies?

Craigslist controversy reflects broader societal dilemma
    "This points to a larger truth about the Web. It brings with it a healthy dose of transparency to just about everything it touches. It makes it harder to stuff things in the corner and pretend they don't exist.
    Opponents of legalized prostitution have lots of legitimate arguments about gender inequity, concerns about child prostitution and potential abuse. Those are issues that can't be ignored."

Several issues to consider debating:
    1. Shouldn't Craig's List at least be held to some form of moral standards/social accountability like the other giants? Ex: creating a hidden/login required adult section that prohibits "services" like eBay does?
    2. The obvious prostitution issue.
    or
    3. Economic impact of global internet marketplaces: Globalization vs. Localization
    Personally I find that craigslist is policed fairly well, at least by anti-gun Liberals anyway. My ads are constantly flagged and removed for running ads to buy ammo. Then I get nasty little emails from the stupid flaggots telling to go buy ammo at a store. Thanks to Liberals there is no ammo in the stores.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I rarely get on craig's list much unless I'm looking or something to buy locally. I guess I'll have to look at it so I can respond with knowledge rather than an emotional knee jerk.

Being retired on disability, I spend my day on the internet. I don't even have my tv hooked up. I get my news there. I read constantly. Articles, essays, books, you name it. I can watch videos or even movies if I want too. Even with all day to do it I don't seem to have enough time to look at everything I want too.

I will check out the link.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    Personally I find that craigslist is policed fairly well, at least by anti-gun Liberals anyway. My ads are constantly flagged and removed for running ads to buy ammo. Then I get nasty little emails from the stupid flaggots telling to go buy ammo at a store. Thanks to Liberals there is no ammo in the stores.
    Thanks for input. Craigslist is a "liberated" site, that's for sure, and it is policed somewhat (automated policing however, how can 19 people possibly know what is really going on all over the world on their site) I am primarily interested in debating on the bigger issues that have resulted from this intriguing innovation (ammo issue is a hot one, too, tho')
    Last edited by creativeage; 06-06-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thanks for input. Craigslist is a "liberated" site, that's for sure, and it is policed somewhat (automated policing however, how can 19 people possibly know what is really going on all over the world on their site) I am primarily interested in debating on the bigger issues that have resulted from this intriguing innovation (ammo issue is a hot one, too, tho')
    On every craigslist page there is a button in the upper right hand corner to, "Flag" the ad as inappropriate, prohibited, miscategorized and so on. Its not just 19 people, its community policed. Read this one I just pulled up while it lasts. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...206862746.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On every craigslist page there is a button in the upper right hand corner to, "Flag" the ad as inappropriate, prohibited, miscategorized and so on. Its not just 19 people, its community policed. Read this one I just pulled up while it lasts. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...206862746.html
    Good one! I really like how craigslist has empowered the people to free trade, it really is the digital age version of home-town neighborly business. What freaks me out is how it unveils some really twisted souls and the people with excess mental baggage and nothing else to do (ie: the "fag" that keeps flagging you!)
    "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Good one! I really like how craigslist has empowered the people to free trade, it really is the digital age version of home-town neighborly business. What freaks me out is how it unveils some really twisted souls and the people with excess mental baggage and nothing else to do (ie: the "fag" that keeps flagging you!)
    BTW, that wasn't my post, I only buy ammo, I don't sell it. It was just the first ad that came up under my usual searches.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default & How about that Craigslist POLITICS section....

Heavy stuff!

Too many people still adhear to the "right" vs "left" fiasco.....

oh well.

however anyplace that fosters discussion, its all good!

Power To The PEOPLE!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n0spam4me View Post
    Heavy stuff!

Too many people still adhear to the "right" vs "left" fiasco.....

oh well.

however anyplace that fosters discussion, its all good!

Power To The PEOPLE!
    You got it! All discussion is good. My primary mission in bringing up the Craigslist deal is not necessarily about politics, but rather point out the corporate social responsibility issue: where is the line? The site is manned by merely 18-34 people, is making sh--load of money, yet refuses to act as the public service they are. (Even newspapers have to hold to certain guidelines and standards to public service). I obviously respect that freedom, and there going to nut-cases and bad apples wherever you go, I just am concerned about how unamanageable Craigslist has become. I feel that same about private large hi-speed Internet providers now: people rely on the internet and it essentially is a public service and should be held accountable like a utility company is...anyone agree or disagree with me on that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Its like this....

Newspapers publish disclamers
    saying that they don't have the time to verify every advertisment that they publish and so if somebody gets ripped-off by some crook, BUYER BEWARE!

The internet has become a favorite for crooks & scam artists. oops!
    A! ya wanna build CD modulators at home?????

or? ... seriously now, I think a healthy society will have a healthy bit of caution, rather than spending their hard earned loot on just anything at all.

& Ya, it should be prosecutable offense to LIE to people to take money from suckers. But then again in this land of the TV zombies, the brain washed masses will buy almost anything, and that in and of itself is a CRIME!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n0spam4me View Post
    Newspapers publish disclamers
    saying that they don't have the time to verify every advertisment that they publish and so if somebody gets ripped-off by some crook, BUYER BEWARE!

The internet has become a favorite for crooks & scam artists. oops!
    A! ya wanna build CD modulators at home?????

or? ... seriously now, I think a healthy society will have a healthy bit of caution, rather than spending their hard earned loot on just anything at all.

& Ya, it should be prosecutable offense to LIE to people to take money from suckers. But then again in this land of the TV zombies, the brain washed masses will buy almost anything, and that in and of itself is a CRIME!
    Totally agree! I am not looking to protect naive/stupid people at all - it is what is: life is survival of the fittest. People need to use common sense (oh gosh, I forgot...that is a rarity in this world!).

My issue with Craig's List is how unmanageable of an entity it has become (we've all heard the "too big to fail" bs). Companies that become too big without evolving to societal needs as a result of massive growth, then face negative image issues, like craiglist has. Why can't they just do the right thing, and actually try to do something productive with the power they now have: to make a difference? Utilize the extra money to hire local people in each area to watch for the horrific criminals, and actually make each area tuned into the unique local needs. Why are they not simply doing the right thing and working a program to help police locate offenders - work collaboratively to catch perpetrators of crime: it seems craigslist could really help authorities if they would just work with them, that's my main point.

I just think that when a company gets so big - there is some power there, and with that comes some social responsibility, especially when awful things are happening on the monstrous site: I personally would not be able to sleep at night wondering what child is being sold on a site I was responsible for...do you know what I mean? Just searching for a balance!
    Last edited by creativeage; 06-11-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Personally I think the community policing of craigslist is sufficient.

You guys keep talking about it not being a right/left thing but to some extent it is.

For the most part people on the right aren't going to run around looking to censor the content thats posted on craigslist. They will just stay away from the offensive areas and do their business in the areas they see fit. On the other hand the people on the left are patrolling craigslist looking for ads to remove that they don't approve of.

There are also all kinds of warnings all over the pages of craigslist. Its a self governing, self policing community and I like it that way. Yes there are people who are going to take advantage of it but why cant people just be responsible for their actions instead of punishing everyone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally I think the community policing of craigslist is sufficient.

You guys keep talking about it not being a right/left thing but to some extent it is.

For the most part people on the right aren't going to run around looking to censor the content thats posted on craigslist. They will just stay away from the offensive areas and do their business in the areas they see fit. On the other hand the people on the left are patrolling craigslist looking for ads to remove that they don't approve of.

There are also all kinds of warnings all over the pages of craigslist. Its a self governing, self policing community and I like it that way. Yes there are people who are going to take advantage of it but why cant people just be responsible for their actions instead of punishing everyone.

There you go again Crin. You and this Personal Responsibility thing! Man....Buy you books....send you to school.......what do you do?

The left will have nothing to do with this. How can you be so shallow as to think that you are capable of making better personal decisions than if government was to oversee your everyday actions. They offer this service to you gratus, don't yopu understand? Free of charge. Government is offering to protect you from yourself. What is wrong with you radical extremists who think government should not monitor your everyday activity to promote the common good. You are just another anti-government radical who refuses to conform and that is the problem in America.
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emmett View Post
    There you go again Crin. You and this Personal Responsibility thing! Man....Buy you books....send you to school.......what do you do?

The left will have nothing to do with this. How can you be so shallow as to think that you are capable of making better personal decisions than if government was to oversee your everyday actions. They offer this service to you gratus, don't yopu understand? Free of charge. Government is offering to protect you from yourself. What is wrong with you radical extremists who think government should not monitor your everyday activity to promote the common good. You are just another anti-government radical who refuses to conform and that is the problem in America.

Mea Culpa!!! I guess I didn't read the California public school books. I read things like the Federalist Papers, The Constitution, part of Thomas Jefferson diary (its 28 volumes so I never got through them all), the Bible and other such subversive materials.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mea Culpa!!! I guess I didn't read the California public school books. I read things like the Federalist Papers, The Constitution, part of Thomas Jefferson diary (its 28 volumes so I never got through them all), the Bible and other such subversive materials.

Well...I knew it. That explains your "out of touch" ideaology of what present day America is all about. The Constitution.....fooey...Liberals have proven there is no need for that worthless document. Oh boy...and then there are the Federalist Papers. I'm not even going there. Propaganda I tell ya! Thomas Jefferson's diary? Get out of here. What would college kids, minorities and queers need any of these things for. They are in charge now Crin and like it or not you need to change your reading material. May I suugest "Heather has two Mommies." Oh....not familiar with this literary masterpiece.....you may want to ask you kid....it was probably on their reading assigments homework last year. You might also want to spend your time more constructively by reading up on the new Government Health Care program. I hear there is a handbook being published which will help with all the red tape associated with getting a check up planned 6 months in advance.

Speaking of that, as you know there are some real innovators out there and i hear one company is selling "Do it Yourself" kits for Home Health Medical Care. It comes with some iodine, a few bandaids, some aspirin, a Hack Saw and a Cyonide pill. You might want to check that out.
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!