Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What a Travesty!

Stallworth gets 30 days for DUI manslaughter. Our legal system is a bad joke!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?pro...lled&type=lgns

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

it's not 30 days - it's 30 days plus:

...two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.
    AND -

Stallworth also must undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver’s license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving such as for employment.
    VERY aggressive punishment. LIFETIME driver's license suspension? That's big. Very solid punishment for hitting a guy who ran out into the street...and not being able to stop in time.

If the victim's family agreed, it's not a travesty. It's justice in the minds of those most-hurt by his actions.

Unlike some celebrities, Stallworth took it on the chin - was accountable.

“I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy,” said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. “I will bear this burden for the rest of my life.”
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What dmp said plus..

a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida, a punishment made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim’s family to put the matter behind them.

Stallworth, 28, also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes
    He got his punishment. Unlike OJ...IMO
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HELL.. WHY CAN'T I GET HIT AND KILLED BY SOMEONE RICH? My family would be SET UP!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree it's a travesty. The man is getting punished above and beyond what he needs.

Id rather serve more time in prison than lose the license for life. Why dont we just cut off his hand while we are at it?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I agree it's a travesty. The man is getting punished above and beyond what he needs.

Id rather serve more time in prison than lose the license for life. Why dont we just cut off his hand while we are at it?
    Torture has many faces..justice just one, and it's blind.

Above the Best

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

ppl tend to have no sense of justice when the perp is rich. When a rich guy does a crime, he should be thrown into the slammer. When a poor guy does the crime, he needs community outreach programs because he's been victimized by society.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    it's not 30 days - it's 30 days plus:

AND -

VERY aggressive punishment. LIFETIME driver's license suspension? That's big. Very solid punishment for hitting a guy who ran out into the street...and not being able to stop in time.

If the victim's family agreed, it's not a travesty. It's justice in the minds of those most-hurt by his actions.

Unlike some celebrities, Stallworth took it on the chin - was accountable.
    2 years house arrest in a mansion, likely decked out with a pool, gym, game room, etc, where he can entertain himself and whoever he cares to invite over, the freedom to eat what he wants, and keep whatever schedule he wants isn't punishment, it's a vacation.

That he settled a civil wrongful death suit before it was filed should have had no bearing on his penal case. BTW, the person most hurt by his actions is DEAD...wonder what he'd think about a 30-day sentence.

A lifetime driving suspension is an inconvenience, easily overcome by a hired driver which he can easily afford.

ppl tend to have no sense of justice when the perp is rich. When a rich guy does a crime, he should be thrown into the slammer. When a poor guy does the crime, he needs community outreach programs because he's been victimized by society.
    I'm a huge fan of mandatory sentences. Convicted of the same crime, suffer the same punishment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry bout that,

1. Another one of those, *Whos Judging The Judges* issues.
    2. One gets life, and another gets life.
    3. Whys my life worth crap, and his of great value?
    4. Some one might ask.

Regards,
    SirJamesofTexas
    Last edited by chesswarsnow; 06-17-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    "At Times We Cry, At Time We Fly" ~CWN
    "See You Down The Road Man" ~ CWN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    I'm a huge fan of mandatory sentences. Convicted of the same crime, suffer the same punishment.
    But the same crime does not always have the same circumstances, so we have a range of punishment for the same crime. Works for me.

Above the Best

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

2 years house arrest in a mansion, likely decked out with a pool, gym, game room, etc, where he can entertain himself and whoever he cares to invite over, the freedom to eat what he wants, and keep whatever schedule he wants isn't punishment, it's a vacation.

That he settled a civil wrongful death suit before it was filed should have had no bearing on his penal case. BTW, the person most hurt by his actions is DEAD...wonder what he'd think about a 30-day sentence.

A lifetime driving suspension is an inconvenience, easily overcome by a hired driver which he can easily afford.

you're likely just upset because he's got money he's earned. (shrug).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im sure the person most huurt by his actions is moving on in the next life.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you're likely just upset because he's got money he's earned. (shrug).
    Fuck you! I've earned every cent I have too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    But the same crime does not always have the same circumstances, so we have a range of punishment for the same crime. Works for me.
    Mitigating circumstances should be used to adjust the charge, then apply the mandatory sentence.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mitigating circumstances should be used to adjust the charge, then apply the mandatory sentence.
    Motive, intent, premeditation are all considered and if found guilty sentence is given accordingly. I think it works well. One size does not fit all.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Stallworth gets 30 days for DUI manslaughter. Our legal system is a bad joke!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?pro...lled&type=lgns
    We've prosecuted repeat DUI offenders who killed folks with murder in NC.