Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The End of Overeating: I Really want to get this book!

My friend picked it up and said it's been amazing to find out how jacked up the foods are that most of us eat!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iq6Ov_uCxGc&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01& hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iq6Ov_uCxGc&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01& hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://theendofovereating.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

which is why people should try to eat locally grown foods. Anyone who lives near a farmer should be able to get local beef also.

A small garden takes almost no room at all. In fact, I simply planted Zuccini and cantellope this year in my backyard flower beds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    which is why people should try to eat locally grown foods. Anyone who lives near a farmer should be able to get local beef also.

A small garden takes almost no room at all. In fact, I simply planted Zuccini and cantellope this year in my backyard flower beds.
    Exactly...

My wife started a garden when we first moved in - farmer's markets rule and so does a good butcher shop!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm all for supporting 'buy local', it's the best for our area's economies. However, it's not organic or local that brings health, it's what we each put into our pie hole on any given day.

Exercise and watch your caloric intake. Eat nutrient rich foods, splurging once in awhile. Me? I splurge in restaurants when I go out. Sodium be damned then, the 2 or 3 times a month it happens.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm all for supporting 'buy local', it's the best for our area's economies. However, it's not organic or local that brings health, it's what we each put into our pie hole on any given day.

Exercise and watch your caloric intake. Eat nutrient rich foods, splurging once in awhile. Me? I splurge in restaurants when I go out. Sodium be damned then, the 2 or 3 times a month it happens.
    Buying local does cut most if not all of the preservatives that are added to the food. Fresh/frozen veggies also don't have the added sodium that you get from canned foods.
    Last edited by Trigg; 07-30-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

However, it's not organic or local that brings health, it's what we each put into our pie hole on any given day.
    I don't think that's totally true - I believe that the closer we get the food from its source the healthier and tastier it is!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    I don't think that's totally true - I believe that the closer we get the food from its source the healthier and tastier it is!
    Perhaps, but commonsense and wallet will out:

http://www.reuters.com/article/scien...0090729?rpc=60

Organic food is no healthier, study finds
    Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:29pm EDT
    LONDON (Reuters) - Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.

A systematic review of 162 scientific papers published in the scientific literature over the last 50 years, however, found there was no significant difference.

"A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.

"Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I will agree that organic probably means nothing as far as fruits and fresh veggies are concerned.

My reason for buying local are the preservatives added to canned and processed meat products.

Fresh or frozen vegges don't have the added sodium. Local beef/chicken/pork don't have added water and steroids added.

I'm sure if you looked chicago has a farmers market somewhere. Their prices are always competative, at least the ones I've been to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps, but commonsense and wallet will out:

http://www.reuters.com/article/scien...0090729?rpc=60
    Who paid for the study? I too could link study after study..

But this isn't the issue I mentioned - I said buying locally can be healthier..

Some good info on Organic from the MAYO:

Here are other differences between conventional farming and organic farming:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/nu00255
    Last edited by -Cp; 07-30-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    I will agree that organic probably means nothing as far as fruits and fresh veggies are concerned.

My reason for buying local are the preservatives added to canned and processed meat products.

Fresh or frozen vegges don't have the added sodium. Local beef/chicken/pork don't have added water and steroids added.

I'm sure if you looked chicago has a farmers market somewhere. Their prices are always competative, at least the ones I've been to.
    I buy at farmer's markets, more to the point our local markets are making more effort to buy locally. I'm unsure how this helps with pesticides or processing as opposed to those from outside 'local', but still like buying from those that benefit. To claim 'health benefits' though seems to be spin over substance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great thread, eating disorders are a common problem in our society and those suffering from them, should be treated with dignity and respect.
    I Believe in love, personal liberty, and less government/more non profits

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stir Fry people. Vegatables. PArtially cooked, still crunchy Bell Peppers, carrots, peas, ets,... lots of white meat and veggies. great sauces...non fat oils.
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emmett View Post
    non fat oils.

That's not possible.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    That's not possible.
    Yeah, the key is using healthy fat oils like Olive Oil...