Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Exclamation Internet censorship: Twitter downed by DDoS attack

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10305200-245.html

Originally Posted by CNET News
    A Russian activist blogger with accounts on Twitter, Facebook, LiveJournal and Google's Blogger and YouTube was targeted in a denial of service attack that led to the site-wide outage at Twitter and problems at the other sites on Thursday, according to a Facebook executive.

The blogger, who uses the account name "Cyxymu," (the name of a town in the Republic of Georgia) had accounts on all of the different sites that were attacked at the same time, Max Kelly, chief security officer at Facebook, told CNET News.

"It was a simultaneous attack across a number of properties targeting him to keep his voice from being heard," Kelly said. "We're actively investigating the source of the attacks and we hope to be able to find out the individuals involved in the back end and to take action against them if we can."
    First china, then Iran, now Russia; Internet censorship, coming to a country near you.*
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They want it here too Noir. Just a matter of time.
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EDIT:...maybe I should of posted this separately so I don't interrupt this thread, if the mods think so, they can move it...thanks.

that's nothing, my computer was taken over by the little Marxist last night..

I was online and all of a sudden my screen went haywire and then the whole screen came back with the little Marxist on it in some video..it covered my whole screen...

I shut down my computer and ran a scan on it, I had 20 high priority "things", can't think of what they were called now, on it, and had to run a repair to take them off..

I think someone reported me to the white house "phishy" site...

I am not making this up...can someone tell me what went wrong, so I'm not going to lock all my doors and hide in my closet....

I have Zone Alarm for protection, but yet all these thing got through..
    Last edited by stephanie; 08-07-2009 at 11:40 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

to bad you didn't have time for a screen shot to post here. I'd really like to see this..............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    to bad you didn't have time for a screen shot to post here. I'd really like to see this..............
    this whole thing freaked me out, I've never had anything like this happen before...I was so blown away that I just immediately shut off my computer on the tower, no waiting for the shut down..
    What I'm wondering is, did I have some sort of virus attack, some sort of hostile attack bug?
    I'm not real computer savvy, but I know I haven't seen something like this before..

I should add....right before this happened, my computer was running exceptionally slow, I have dsl and it is ok speed wise, but this was just crawling...and then, wham o...
    Last edited by stephanie; 08-07-2009 at 12:39 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gab, I'm asking a serious question, please with the mocking?
    Last edited by stephanie; 08-07-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    this whole thing freaked me out, I've never had anything like this happen before...I was so blown away that I just immediately shut off my computer on the tower, no waiting for the shut down..
    What I'm wondering is, did I have some sort of virus attack, some sort of hostile attack bug?
    I'm not real computer savvy, but I know I haven't seen something like this before..

I should add....right before this happened, my computer was running exceptionally slow, I have dsl and it is ok speed wise, but this was just crawling...and then, wham o...
    the slower speed indicates a download. yes it could have been virus, spyware, a hacker, intruder etc. is the zone alarm free or fee based???? also check and see if any docs are missing on hard drive. sooner or or later they find you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    he'll get your PC to. consider that

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the slower speed indicates a download. yes it could have been virus, spyware, a hacker, intruder etc. is the zone alarm free or fee based???? also check and see if any docs are missing on hard drive. sooner or or later they find you.
    I thought I paid for the zone alarm, but can't remember for sure..

usually the zone alarm warns me of a site, for instance it won't let tinyurl onto my computer..
    I did notice a few weeks ago, I visited a site called, hotairpundit and all of a sudden my computer just started spitting up the same page...I had 20 some of them before I again shut down my computer..
    it also changed my media player from a older version,which I preferred instead of the new upgrades, but it seem to upgrade it on it's own..
    I stopped going to that site for the reasons above, and all was ok until what happened last night..

how do I check for missing docs?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Sorry Stephanie, by the tone of your first couple of sentences, I thought you were implying that Obama had taken control of your computer. I didn't realize that you were referring to a real web attack.

I am fairly computer illiterate, so I asked my husband. Who is pretty much a computer nerd.
    He told me that Zone Alarm has always been a great defense. But that the last update (the 2009 version) somehow had a lot of holes in it. Which is why he took it off our computers.
    Basically, we were hacked. A Trojan somehow got in through some back port and went undetected by Zone Alarm. It greatly slowed down our web surfing and kept trying to change our home page.
    My husband took my laptop to his office and got the tech people to clean it off. It was a pain because I had to reinstall everything, like Firefox and all my programs.
    Right now, I am using the Windows XP Firewall, backed up by AVG anti-virus and Spyware Terminator (both available for free at www.download.com ). I am not a big fan of AVG, but Spyware Terminator is pretty awesome. It prevents spyware from installing.

By the way, tinyurl is a notoriously unsecure site. That is why Zone Alarm (and many other anti-spyware sites) blocks it.
    Firefox has an add-on that rates sites. I believe there are some downloads that do the same thing. We have one that won't allow me to go to a page that the site considers dangerous.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Sorry Stephanie, by the tone of your first couple of sentences, I thought you were implying that Obama had taken control of your computer. I didn't realize that you were referring to a real web attack.

I am fairly computer illiterate, so I asked my husband. Who is pretty much a computer nerd.
    He told me that Zone Alarm has always been a great defense. But that the last update (the 2009 version) somehow had a lot of holes in it. Which is why he took it off our computers.
    Basically, we were hacked. A Trojan somehow got in through some back port and went undetected by Zone Alarm. It greatly slowed down our web surfing and kept trying to change our home page.
    My husband took my laptop to his office and got the tech people to clean it off. It was a pain because I had to reinstall everything, like Firefox and all my programs.
    Right now, I am using the Windows XP Firewall, backed up by AVG anti-virus and Spyware Terminator (both available for free at www.download.com ). I am not a big fan of AVG, but Spyware Terminator is pretty awesome. It prevents spyware from installing.

By the way, tinyurl is a notoriously unsecure site. That is why Zone Alarm (and many other anti-spyware sites) blocks it.
    Firefox has an add-on that rates sites. I believe there are some downloads that do the same thing. We have one that won't allow me to go to a page that the site considers dangerous.
    thanks Gabby, I'm on Windows xp and now that I recall I thought I saw something that said Trojan horse on the screen before I turned it off..could you ask the hubby if they would announce something like that as to let you know you have been (had) infected..I thought they were referring to Obama and his health care plan, because that seemed to be the video that appeared..it was a huge screen of him talking, you can guess how I felt about that, lol...can I get rid of the Trojan without wiping it clean if that is what it is?..I have a thing called P.C. tune up and that is what found the 20 problems..I haven't had any problems like the one since, but the computer still runs slow it seems, I run the P.C tune up more now and it doesn't report any problems like I had that night...but it did catch a few spyware which I hadn't had before this either..
    I appreciate your help as I said, I'm computer illiterate when it gets beyond the basics..

thanks dear..

Edit...I can see from my first post how you would think I was being paranoid the little Marxist took over my computer..and that picture you posted is funny as hell..but damn Scary...don't scare me like that little one...LOL LOL
    Last edited by stephanie; 08-08-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    thanks Gabby, I'm on Windows xp and now that I recall I thought I saw something that said Trojan horse on the screen before I turned it off..could you ask the hubby if they would announce something like that as to let you know you have been (had) infected..I thought they were referring to Obama and his health care plan, because that seemed to be the video that appeared..it was a huge screen of him talking, you can guess how I felt about that, lol...can I get rid of the Trojan without wiping it clean if that is what it is?..I have a thing called P.C. tune up and that is what found the 20 problems..I haven't had any problems like the one since, but the computer still runs slow it seems, I run the P.C tune up more now and it doesn't report any problems like I had that night...but it did catch a few spyware which I hadn't had before this either..
    I appreciate your help as I said, I'm computer illiterate when it gets beyond the basics..

thanks dear..

Edit...I can see from my first post how you would think I was being paranoid the little Marxist took over my computer..and that picture you posted is funny as hell..but damn Scary...don't scare me like that little one...LOL LOL
    so its back up and running ok now???? almost sounds like you had a popup gang bang. they'll load up at lightning speed and force you to shut it down. I added a popup blocker. took care of that !!! also I added a cookie buster as well. i don't like anyone trolling my pc looking for them.
    if you have fee based zone alarm they will let you know when its time for renewal. if not you have a freeware version. that's mean you do the auto updates and run the scanner yourself. fee based does all this for you. zone alarm comes in both.
    Last edited by namvet; 08-09-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so its back up and running ok now???? almost sounds like you had a popup gang bang. they'll load up at lightning speed and force you to shut it down. I added a popup blocker. took care of that !!! also I added a cookie buster as well. i don't like anyone trolling my pc looking for them.
    if you have fee based zone alarm they will let you know when its time for renewal. if not you have a freeware version. that's mean you do the auto updates and run the scanner yourself. fee based does all this for you. zone alarm comes in both.
    yes, it running ok now..as I said thought, it has found a few spyware progams that it hasn't reported before..

as I was asking...how do you know if you have a Trojan??
    will my Zone alarm tell me?
    if I did have a Trojan, can I still run my computer after what happened the other night? I have a couple popup blockers on my computer..
    I evidently have the fee based zone alarm, because I see it updating all the time..
    the other program I have is separate from zone alarm, it's a P.C. cleanup type that I downloaded to try and help my computer run faster..it's the one the caught all those high alert problems that I found the night of the incident..
    I was so caught off guard by this thing, and of course when it was the little Marxist that was all over my computer screen, I just about shit...

it's not reporting any problems when I run the P.C. tune up and zone alarm hasn't warned me of anything, so maybe it was a glitch of some sort..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stephanie, go and download hijackthis http://majorgeeks.com/Trend_Micro_HijackThis_d5554.html

After you download it, install it on your computer, and then do a scan and log file. When your finished post the log file on here I will look at it and see what you have logged and tell you what you should remove from the list.

P.S. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE LIST, let me check it first. If you remove something that is an important part of your registry files you will not be able to use your computer.
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer