Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Stephanie, go and download hijackthis http://majorgeeks.com/Trend_Micro_HijackThis_d5554.html

After you download it, install it on your computer, and then do a scan and log file. When your finished post the log file on here I will look at it and see what you have logged and tell you what you should remove from the list.

P.S. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE LIST, let me check it first. If you remove something that is an important part of your registry files you will not be able to use your computer.
    when I download, it usually ask you to either run or save it...do I want to save this to my computer?

edit: I"m on the site, which one do I download, there are a couple of different one?
    Last edited by stephanie; 08-09-2009 at 08:51 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My first thought would be to pm Jim and have him read this thread and see if he has any recommendations. He may have some thoughts as to the cause.

You might want to look into a trojan removing program as well. I don't recommend shareware type cause they just show you what's there and don't remove it unless you buy the program.

I think it was something besides a trojan though. Like one of those new spyware that your program found. Another good program for cleaning out your system is Advanced Systemcare. It's free with option to buy upgrades.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any and all suggestions are welcome..

I'm not sure if I am explaining what happened for anyone to understand what really happened, or if I'm just being stupid and paranoid that something was installed on my computer... I've heard of Trojans, but don't know if I have ever had one, don't know much about them...

like I said, it is running fine as of today, some slowness from time to time, but running p.c. tuneup is not finding any problems like it found the other night..

thanks all..
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN...another huge screen takeover with a Obama video...this is getting weird..shut down tower again..

I received this..
    Microsoft error
    some unexpected errors have happened to software you recently installed..

never seen something like this before....

I tried to take a screenshot, but not sure if it worked..

I must be sounding nuts about now...

just ran p.c tune up and it reported this..
    Med, priority..
    the key, "software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..
    Last edited by stephanie; 08-09-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    OK, IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN...another huge screen takeover with a Obama video...this is getting weird..shut down tower again..

I received this..
    Microsoft error

Med, priority..
    the key, "software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..
    Are you using internet explorer. Sounds like something is in that. Might want to do a restore back a couple of weeks. Als, if you don't already use it get firefox as your browser and forget ie.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I received this..
    Microsoft error

Med, priority..
    yep its a windows problem. what version of windows are you running??? open IE - on the toolbar at top left click "help" on the drop down click "about internet explorer" you get a popup with the version and any SP's if added.

here is MS email:
    support@microsoft.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    yep its a windows problem. what version of windows are you running??? open IE - on the toolbar at top left click "help" on the drop down click "about internet explorer" you get a popup with the version and any SP's if added.

here is MS email:
    support@microsoft.com
    version 6.0
    update. sp3
    nam, what would I ask at the support site??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Are you using internet explorer. Sounds like something is in that. Might want to do a restore back a couple of weeks. Als, if you don't already use it get firefox as your browser and forget ie.
    I've wanted to use firefox, but I was afraid I would lose all that I have on IE..also once I switch of firefox, how do I get rid of IE? just delete from add or delete programs?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've wanted to use firefox, but I was afraid I would lose all that I have on IE..also once I switch of firefox, how do I get rid of IE? just delete from add or delete programs?
    Firefox is way better than IE and has it's own built in security and firewall. Not sure how to transfer things over. You may have to go into IE and write down some of the sites then add them in manually. Someone else with more computer knowledge may be able to recommend something there. You don't get rid of IE. You just don't use it. If it's not in use then programs within it can't run.

Also take Nam's advice and send a note to MSN. Just tell them what you told us here. They may already be aware of this and have a fix for it. Firefox also has a built in popup blocker as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok, I forgot I have a thing installed called...Glary utilities...I just ran the registry cleaner and it said I had 24 problems in invalid or incorrect registry entries..they said they fixed the problem, so I guess we will see how things go from there..

I do appreciate all your help..thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

version 6.0
    update. sp3
    nam, what would I ask at the support site??
    explain the problem and give them the error you received:

"software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..

MS has hundreds of fix's for problems. this may be in their data base. you can call them but I think that cost.

also your can use the above procedure to find out what version of zone alarm you have. you need an internet security system complete with firewall and spyware all bundled in. if you get the version ill look it up and see what software is included. more that likey this problem will hit again.

a full system recovery can be done if all else fails. if you decide to do this get back with us first

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

ok, I forgot I have a thing installed called...Glary utilities...I just ran the registry cleaner and it said I had 24 problems in invalid or incorrect registry entries..they said they fixed the problem, so I guess we will see how things go from there..

I do appreciate all your help..thanks
    that's free. so be sure and udate it or any software before using.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    explain the problem and give them the error you received:

"software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..

MS has hundreds of fix's for problems. this may be in their data base. you can call them but I think that cost.

also your can use the above procedure to find out what version of zone alarm you have. you need an internet security system complete with firewall and spyware all bundled in. if you get the version ill look it up and see what software is included. more that likey this problem will hit again.

a full system recovery can be done if all else fails. if you decide to do this get back with us first
    zone alarm...8.0.400.020 is that what you meant..
    I got it on 3/22/09
    it has firewall, spyware, virus detection, I do know that.
    they haven't asked me to renew yet, as far as I know..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

zone alarm...8.0.400.020 is that what you meant..
    I got it on 3/22/09
    it has firewall, spyware, virus detection, I do know that.
    they haven't asked me to renew yet, as far as I know..
    yes. that should be fee based. renewable after 12 mons. 3/22/10 so your set there. also if you get that error again write it down.

that should have a C at the beginning for C drive

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Steph..you can import all of your favorites from IE to Firefox bookmarks you won't lose any.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?