Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

or put them in a zip folder and save to my docs. lots a ways

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    My first thought would be to pm Jim and have him read this thread and see if he has any recommendations. He may have some thoughts as to the cause.

You might want to look into a trojan removing program as well. I don't recommend shareware type cause they just show you what's there and don't remove it unless you buy the program.

I think it was something besides a trojan though. Like one of those new spyware that your program found. Another good program for cleaning out your system is Advanced Systemcare. It's free with option to buy upgrades.
    some of those programs actually install spyware on your PC. the other trick is the free scan that shows your totally infected. buy now !!!! you do and there's nothing there. what a scam !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    OK, IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN...another huge screen takeover with a Obama video...this is getting weird..shut down tower again..

I received this..
    Microsoft error
    some unexpected errors have happened to software you recently installed..

never seen something like this before....

I tried to take a screenshot, but not sure if it worked..

I must be sounding nuts about now...

just ran p.c tune up and it reported this..
    Med, priority..
    the key, "software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..

if it is a virus or intrusion/hacker you zone alarm should popup with a block notice. mine does.

Any and all suggestions are welcome..

I'm not sure if I am explaining what happened for anyone to understand what really happened, or if I'm just being stupid and paranoid that something was installed on my computer... I've heard of Trojans, but don't know if I have ever had one, don't know much about them...

like I said, it is running fine as of today, some slowness from time to time, but running p.c. tuneup is not finding any problems like it found the other night..

thanks all..
    just like the name implies. they install then wait for you to run programs then attack.

http://www.tech-faq.com/trojan-horse-virus.shtml

once again it should be blocked by your zone alarm. if indeed it is a virus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    or put them in a zip folder and save to my docs. lots a ways
    easier to import/export..though.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll look into firefox again...I did download them but when I saw I didn't have my yahoo home page, well that scared me away and I uninstalled them..

if I do go to firefox...do I just go and uninstall IE like I would any other program I didn't want anymore?????????????
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i'll look into firefox again...i did download them but when i saw i didn't have my yahoo home page, well that scared me away and i uninstalled them..

If i do go to firefox...do i just go and uninstall ie like i would any other program i didn't want anymore?????????????

do not uninstall ie!!!

It's part of windows..you'll be asked which browser you want as the default..just leave IE ALONE unless ya want big problems.
    Last edited by Mr. P; 08-09-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post

do not uninstall ie!!!

It's part of windows..you'll be asked which browser you want as the default..just leave IE ALONE unless ya want big problems.
    Damn, thanks...I told ya I wasn't computer smart...

I just always thought with all the downloading it would take up lots of space and make my computer run slower..
    Last edited by stephanie; 08-09-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when I download, it usually ask you to either run or save it...do I want to save this to my computer?

edit: I"m on the site, which one do I download, there are a couple of different one?
    I'm sorry took me so long to get back....I kept looking for a thread you started. I forgot the title of the thread.

I would save it to you computer. and you should see this at the top middle of the page...........

Downloads
    Author's Site
    MajorGeeks - |USA|
    MajorGeeks - |USA 2|
    Internode - |Australia|

click on majorgeeks usa or usa2 to download, then save it to your computer. Remember where you save it though, so you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Are you using internet explorer. Sounds like something is in that. Might want to do a restore back a couple of weeks. Als, if you don't already use it get firefox as your browser and forget ie.
    The only problem with that though is if she restores it back a couple of weeks ago, it most likely has already embedded itself in her system restore files. Therefore she will end up with the same problem. I turned my system restore off quite sometime ago, when I ran into that same issue.

I've wanted to use firefox, but I was afraid I would lose all that I have on IE..also once I switch of firefox, how do I get rid of IE? just delete from add or delete programs?

When you install Firefox it will ask you if you want to import your bookmarks and settings. Click yes and you should not lose anything.

I'll look into firefox again...I did download them but when I saw I didn't have my yahoo home page, well that scared me away and I uninstalled them..

if I do go to firefox...do I just go and uninstall IE like I would any other program I didn't want anymore?????????????
    When you first install it you will have a different homepage. Very easy fix! Open up your firefox browser, go to your page that you want to use as your homepage. Click on tools at the top of the browser, then click on options, go to the main tab it should say start up homepage. Make sure you are on your homepage then click on use current page. That will set your homepage in firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post

do not uninstall ie!!!

Absolutely DO NOT UNINSTALL IE
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got that, do not uninstall IE

thanks everyone for all the tips and help..I appreciate it..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got that, do not uninstall IE

thanks everyone for all the tips and help..I appreciate it..
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    thanks dear, you've been most helpful..

one question...why firefox over Ie?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks dear, you've been most helpful..

one question...why firefox over Ie?
    IE can be highjacked very easily and that is the browser that is usually targeted. Firefox is much more secure safer and not used as much as IE therefore not attacked as often.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IE can be highjacked very easily and that is the browser that is usually targeted. Firefox is much more secure safer and not used as much as IE therefore not attacked as often.
    but if you still have IE on your computer, can't they still attack firefox.?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

got it...thanks
    Your welcome!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your welcome!
    I did a edit before you answered..see above..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's faster too! Slick as owl chit!

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

but if you still have IE on your computer, can't they still attack firefox.?
    No, IE is a different program with different settings. Here read this.......

IE manages its security via “zones”—Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites, and Restricted sites. Within each zone, the user has a rich set of configuration options where authorizations can be fine-tuned. For example, Internet sites can be set to default to disallowing browser scripting, ActiveX, Flash, and other dangerous content. That’s the good news.

The bad news in all of these rich features is that a) by default, far too much untrustworthy content is allowed (e.g., JavaScript) and that b) the sheer vastness of the features will scare most users out of doing any substantive fine-tuning to protect themselves.

Firefox, on the other hand, is much simpler – but quite possibly too much so. JavaScript, for example, can be enabled or disabled (along with setting a half dozen or so JavaScript capabilities) for all or no sites. It’s nice that turning off dangerous features like this can be quickly turned on and off. It’s so simple that anyone could (and should!) experiment with it.

Here's some links for you to read.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/sec...le.php/3698606

http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/news...toryid+312.htm

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com...161433,00.html