Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default General courtesy, namecalling aka flaming

There has been a lot of animosity on the board lately, and quite a few otherwise good threads have deteriorated into name calling flamefests. I would appreciate it if everyone would try to take a step back, and try to be a little more civil in our posts. You can despise another poster and totally disagree with their beliefs, and still debate without getting too personal.

This is directed at no one in particular, whether individuals, or libs or cons. If you feel the need to get something off your chest, go to the steel cage section. Please don't sideswipe good threads by committing endless attacks on one another. Please try to stay on topic as best as possible. Sarcasm will always rear it's face, but the low blow personal attacks are going a bit far lately.

I have asked mods to monitor the situation. Anyone being disruptive in this manner consistently will receive a warning via PM. Should they continue being disruptive, they will be given a 24hr timeout.

There's a time and place for everything. Debate in appropriate threads, and place your attacks in the steel cage if you feel you must.

Thanks!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Without sarcasm and low blow personal attacks, this forum would get boring really fast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's not true. The political climate today is interesting enough. I don't think long threads filled with personal attacks instead of discussing the issue are very interesting actually.
    "Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows"
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    That's not true. The political climate today is interesting enough. I don't think long threads filled with personal attacks instead of discussing the issue are very interesting actually.
    Quite true, but when you're in a right wingers' haven, what do you expect? Intelligent discourse? Nonpartisan moderators?

yeah? Can I interest you in a nice brrrrridge? It's the middle span of the Car Queen Ez... annnnnnnnnd I can get it for you cheap...

interested?
    Lost your job? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your house? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your life savings? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your health care? Thank the republicans!
    Lost all Hope? Thank the republicans!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheStripey1 View Post
    Quite true, but when you're in a right wingers' haven, what do you expect? Intelligent discourse? Nonpartisan moderators?

yeah? Can I interest you in a nice brrrrridge? It's the middle span of the Car Queen Ez... annnnnnnnnd I can get it for you cheap...

interested?
    I understand there are no moderate mods or admins here. It's too bad really....

Another thing I noticed is the emoticons are pretty flaming. I think if the owner wants this site to have more general courtesy, your emotes aren't helping. There are plenty of really rude ones.

Last edited by Samantha; 04-14-2007 at 12:38 AM.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:wank2:

See what I mean?

And in addition, I see that the mod staff engages in personal insults too. I don't think that you can change the tone on the board if the staff contributes to the name calling, flaming and general rudeness.
    Last edited by Samantha; 04-14-2007 at 12:44 AM.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    And in addition, I see that the mod staff engages in personal insults too. I don't think that you can change the tone on the board if the staff contributes to the name calling, flaming and general rudeness.
    Like I said... partisan moderators... there're the same whether it's an all righty board or an all lefty one... absolute power corrupts absolutely...

the only good boards are those with impartial moderators... you know where they are and so do I... in fact, isn't that where we met?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dunno, sam... I like the emoticons here... cuz they sure beat the lame ones at that site which will remain nameless...

I will admit tho, given my druthers, I'll take lame emoticons and impartial moderators over... well, you know... the opposite... cool emoticons and partisan moderators...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shut the fuck up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I arrived at this board, the righties were in the middle of a flamefest that they somehow thought was appropriately posted in Current Events, not the Steel Cage. When they got their feet held to the fire, you should have seen them come up with every excuse in the book for flaming that member and trying to explain that I didn't know the whole story. For a Twilight Zone minute I thought I'd gotten dropped in the middle of the White House-lost emails-Gonzales-Congress dispute.

I've seen the mods here shitcan a member for posting contrary posts to the ones the mod posted. I've seen them excuse the blatent violators of the Reputation rules and do nothing over reported posts where members were abused and threatened. Partisan isn't the word I would use to describe them.

I hold little hope for anyone on the other side of the aisle to live within the spirit of the owner's request since they have not so far. I'll be happy to do my part... until they start in again with the personal attacks. (It's as predictable as night following day.)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Change starts at the top. If the board needs changes, the mods need to set the example. I don't think calling for the posters to behave will do any good, unless the mods behave too. One liner insult posts, that I've seen here by mods, aren't going to encourage posters to be civil to eachother. Change starts at the bottom too. That's the seed I've planted. If it's to grow, the staff must water it.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whining and complaining........doesn't look good on anybody..

Last edited by stephanie; 04-14-2007 at 02:46 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Samantha - The emoticons might be a bit edgy, but it's what the member base has requested. It's supposed to be fun! You can be edgy without going over the top into personal attacks. Again, all in good fun.

Stripey - Moderation will come into play at any political board, unless there is no moderation at all. No mod/admin will be able to please everyone. I do ask my mods to moderate impartially, with respect to all members & within the vision I see for the board. Problems will sometimes still occur... I have an open door and can be PM'd or emailed at any time. We're not a right wing society here, I have a true desire to see ALL members enjoy their time here.

Gabby - Controversy creates posts, no doubt about it. I'd rather it be sarcasm, anger & vehement opposition to true debate though, as opposed to using that energy to get into heated personal attacks with others.

Baron - Your concerns are noted. Please PM me if you see anything transpire on the board that you truly feel is unfair to a member, and I'll do my best to correct the situation.

Remember, my announcement applies to all - Myself, mods and all members regardless of politics. I want controversy to exist here but not hatefests that result in total animosity towards one another and degradation of threads.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whining and complaining........I guess does fit some...

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whoooaaaa guys. There are a few Libs who have done some nasty things as well. Name calling,one liners are a big one.

I regrettably gotted sucked into it in one thread,and am not proud of what I said,or really the language I used. I won't do it again. Lets not blame just ONE side tho.

samantha-I have seen you on another board I think. online politics or something like that?Maybe US politics? I used to go over there and read a lot,never signed up tho. If it is you,I know you are a decent poster....just curious

I think jim has always been fair,especially compared to the like of DU. That is no partisan attack,but really,you can't even post there is you think a teency bit different than they do. Talk about extreme.