Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default College credits

Some Colleges Diss Vets' Experience

August 21, 2009
    Associated Press

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Twelve years of military service left Donald Spradling highly trained in satellite imagery, nuclear engineering and foreign intelligence analysis. None of that made a difference to the University of Missouri.

When the fall semester begins next week, the 33-year-old father of five will be taking largely introductory courses with the rest of the school's freshmen.

"I'm going to be studying things I already learned all over again," the Navy veteran said.

Nearly half a million veterans are expected on college campuses this year as part of the new GI Bill. The surge is leading to a call for schools to re-examine their policies of declining to grant college credit for military training and service.

An estimated one in five colleges and universities do not give academic credit for military education, according to a recent survey of 723 schools by the American Council on Education that is believed to be the first systematic measure. Even more of the schools, 36 percent, said they don't award credit for military occupational training.

http://www.military.com/news/article...tml?ESRC=eb.nl

Not sure what to think....my initial inclination is to say "screw those arrogant SOBs". Perhaps those colleges and universities are more interested in making a buck than in real education.

When a person completes jump school and then spends a few years dropping out of the sky and is then told by some accademic that he can't get credit for some physical education course and has to take Olympic badminton, then I have a problem. I guess military folks will always be second rate to some.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post

August 21, 2009
    Associated Press

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Twelve years of military service left Donald Spradling highly trained in satellite imagery, nuclear engineering and foreign intelligence analysis. None of that made a difference to the University of Missouri.

When the fall semester begins next week, the 33-year-old father of five will be taking largely introductory courses with the rest of the school's freshmen.

"I'm going to be studying things I already learned all over again," the Navy veteran said.

Nearly half a million veterans are expected on college campuses this year as part of the new GI Bill. The surge is leading to a call for schools to re-examine their policies of declining to grant college credit for military training and service.

An estimated one in five colleges and universities do not give academic credit for military education, according to a recent survey of 723 schools by the American Council on Education that is believed to be the first systematic measure. Even more of the schools, 36 percent, said they don't award credit for military occupational training.

Not sure what to think....my initial inclination is to say "screw those arrogant SOBs". Perhaps those colleges and universities are more interested in making a buck than in real education.

When a person completes jump school and then spends a few years dropping out of the sky and is then told by some accademic that he can't get credit for some physical education course and has to take Olympic badminton, then I have a problem. I guess military folks will always be second rate to some.
    I agree that sucks. I wish someone would tell him though that nearly all university 'departments' have proficiency options. Off the top of my head, I proficiencied out of a PE requirement, by running at least a 12 min. mile run. It would be worth checking out. I'm betting this guy would proficiency out of at least the math and science intro courses, probably history too.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I agree that sucks. I wish someone would tell him though that nearly all university 'departments' have proficiency options. Off the top of my head, I proficiencied out of a PE requirement, by running at least a 12 min. mile run. It would be worth checking out. I'm betting this guy would proficiency out of at least the math and science intro courses, probably history too.
    I suppose so, but it seems to me the guy has already demonstrated his proficiency and more than once! Don't get me wrong, I am all for higher education but I have a hard time with the arrogance and elitist attitude some "professors" display. Makes me want to take that sheepskin they offer and ..... well, you get the idea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I suppose so, but it seems to me the guy has already demonstrated his proficiency and more than once! Don't get me wrong, I am all for higher education but I have a hard time with the arrogance and elitist attitude some "professors" display. Makes me want to take that sheepskin they offer and ..... well, you get the idea.
    I can't disagree about the proficiency demonstrated, he may have been 'stuck' with U of MO, a very good school but not perhaps the most liberal in military experience applicants. I said 'stuck', because he has a family, so probably limited to geography. There are schools like "Hillsboro" and others that would probably be more accommodating.

I do think he should force the university departments to allow him the opportunity to demonstrate his knowledge in areas related to service and training.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I can't disagree about the proficiency demonstrated, he may have been 'stuck' with U of MO, a very good school but not perhaps the most liberal in military experience applicants. I said 'stuck', because he has a family, so probably limited to geography. There are schools like "Hillsboro" and others that would probably be more accommodating.

I do think he should force the university departments to allow him the opportunity to demonstrate his knowledge in areas related to service and training.
    I agree. My second thought is "that's the way it is" so live with it. truthfully, there are other avenues the vets could use if they really didn't want to mess with the hassle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I agree. My second thought is "that's the way it is" so live with it. truthfully, there are other avenues the vets could use if they really didn't want to mess with the hassle.
    I didn't notice what major he was going for. While expensive, 'trade college' like Devry actually are often preferable to employers. It all depends on what the person wants to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The common method to avoid this in my day was to take clep tests. Even then the schools would only accept so many cleps.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

August 21, 2009
    Associated Press

It's all about the money. That is the only thing the colleges think about now days. The more classes the Vet has to take the more they can charge.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    it's all about the money. That is the only thing the colleges think about now days. The more classes the vet has to take the more they can charge.
    yep!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain