Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Feedback for new header design

I have a friend who is a Flash expert. This is the general layout that I have in mind. The blue background will make the "images" transparent with the theme of the site. When the site first loads, the 2 black images will appear first and be alone for a few seconds. I'm thinking these images maybe 9/11 related. Then the 2 yellow images will load overlapping the first 2. I'm thinking this will be related to the responses to the actions of 9/11, maybe military related. Then the last 2, red images, will load. I was thinking this would be the political aspect, maybe like the US Flag, the bill of rights or something along those lines.

After the 6 images load, then the logo will load (not the font I have above) over all of the images. The lettering is the hardest part as my friend is making each letter individually as 3d objects in flash. I'm hoping to have him load the site name and have the background pictures fade a bit to have the name stand out.

Thoughts, suggestions, critique, additions, comments?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

I have a friend who is a Flash expert. This is the general layout that I have in mind. The blue background will make the "images" transparent with the theme of the site. When the site first loads, the 2 black images will appear first and be alone for a few seconds. I'm thinking these images maybe 9/11 related. Then the 2 yellow images will load overlapping the first 2. I'm thinking this will be related to the responses to the actions of 9/11, maybe military related. Then the last 2, red images, will load. I was thinking this would be the political aspect, maybe like the US Flag, the bill of rights or something along those lines.

After the 6 images load, then the logo will load (not the font I have above) over all of the images. The lettering is the hardest part as my friend is making each letter individually as 3d objects in flash. I'm hoping to have him load the site name and have the background pictures fade a bit to have the name stand out.

Sounds pretty cool.

Personally I like the background of the picture in our header. Having said that however it is very military oriented and sends a "conservative" psych message to those who see it, in my opinion. Sort of the blue room / pink room thing there.

I would think a way to incorporate a more unilateral background picture might be worth considering. Now understand I don;t know what else we could use, I LOVE the American flag being in there and the picture of the soldier has always been a signature of the site but the rest of the background pictures seem to lend a personna of our site being a "military" site.

My opinion would be to introduce some other pictures that allow our pictures in the background to evolve a bit to something with more elasticity. A picture of a professional woman would be nice, maybe a nurse or buisness person in a nice pant suit (dress would make it seem like we were attempting to impregnate them while barefooted in kitchen), maybe some faded pictures of common professionals. A hardhatted worker for instance, a black person with a suit on or maybe driving a truck. Something that would tend to lend diversity to our broadcasted message and attract a more liberal average member to stimulate more debate.

I think you no doubt get what my thoughts are. I would, like many of us like to attract more liberals and not the likes of some of the hatemongers who have represented the liberal side recently. I would also like to see some of our more conservative members behave a wee bit better when that is acheived so we can realize a true debate board.

Changing the header is a good idea right now. Let's just make sure this "change" is the type we are comfortable with and makes the board more attractive.

Just my opinion.....and remember...I loved and I mean absolutely loved the old banner.
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It sounds great, of course I'm one of those that must see it first. Bad at making mental images.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Will this slow down the loading of the site? Similar sites I'e been to with flash loading takes time to load the whole site.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Kill the 911 part and address DEBATE issues of the country instead. That's my 2 cents but then I don't think a change is needed in the banner either. I'm just a party pooper.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What broke the present banner?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emmett View Post
    Sounds pretty cool.

Personally I like the background of the picture in our header. Having said that however it is very military oriented and sends a "conservative" psych message to those who see it, in my opinion. Sort of the blue room / pink room thing there.

I would think a way to incorporate a more unilateral background picture might be worth considering. Now understand I don;t know what else we could use, I LOVE the American flag being in there and the picture of the soldier has always been a signature of the site but the rest of the background pictures seem to lend a personna of our site being a "military" site.

My opinion would be to introduce some other pictures that allow our pictures in the background to evolve a bit to something with more elasticity. A picture of a professional woman would be nice, maybe a nurse or buisness person in a nice pant suit (dress would make it seem like we were attempting to impregnate them while barefooted in kitchen), maybe some faded pictures of common professionals. A hardhatted worker for instance, a black person with a suit on or maybe driving a truck. Something that would tend to lend diversity to our broadcasted message and attract a more liberal average member to stimulate more debate.

I think you no doubt get what my thoughts are. I would, like many of us like to attract more liberals and not the likes of some of the hatemongers who have represented the liberal side recently. I would also like to see some of our more conservative members behave a wee bit better when that is acheived so we can realize a true debate board.

Changing the header is a good idea right now. Let's just make sure this "change" is the type we are comfortable with and makes the board more attractive.

Just my opinion.....and remember...I loved and I mean absolutely loved the old banner.
    Excellent feedback and I will let my buddy read this. He is making it so that the pictures will be interchangeable, so altering the specific images will be quite easy. I'd love to cover every topic via a banner but unfortunately there's only so much space, but your ideas are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    It sounds great, of course I'm one of those that must see it first. Bad at making mental images.
    Depending on feedback, revisions would start going up soon for additional feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Will this slow down the loading of the site? Similar sites I'e been to with flash loading takes time to load the whole site.
    This is a concern of mine as well that my buddy addressed to me. He will develop it so that it only loads once per session (any activity within the banner), and it will also load from your cache on future visits. The entire load size will be less than 150k .swf file and your machine will execute the script locally... It should load as about as fast as the current image.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Kill the 911 part and address DEBATE issues of the country instead. That's my 2 cents but then I don't think a change is needed in the banner either. I'm just a party pooper.
    Sounds a bit like Emmett's feedback where there is less military/9/11 stuff and more about the countries debatable issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    What broke the present banner?
    To address you, and others, I am not married to the idea of changing things. I just thought maybe the community would prefer a more modern design, or something that would help entice guests to register. I'm kind of sentimental at times and like to keep what got us here, but sometimes you don't know if change will be for the better unless you try. But I won't force anything on the community without it's approval.

If enough regulars think we should remain the way we are, I will be more than happy to scrap the project.

It's YOUR board!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Jim,

You have to remember ITS YOUR BOARD if yo like something than go for it!! I personal think if you want to try some new things than by all means do so. If after a while some don't like it than ask for feedback. Most folks need to use a thing before they can adequately evaluate something!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A small scroll in background, (the Constitution) would be nice. Frankly imperative if it were my design.

Keep the soldier (1). Scratch the rest of the military stuff. (unless you wanted to show a turbinetop with his mouth full of water being dumped in by Dick Cheney)

Two or three professional looking types, one of them a woman, one of them black, stick the white guy in the corner (sort of like real life),

On the other side from the Cons, put the Bible, we debate that here.

Also ....don't forget A HANDGUN.

The flash stuff (???????)
    If you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you have always got!

A government big enough to provide you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would like to see a banner that says "If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Jim,

You have to remember ITS YOUR BOARD if yo like something than go for it!! I personal think if you want to try some new things than by all means do so. If after a while some don't like it than ask for feedback. Most folks need to use a thing before they can adequately evaluate something!!!
    I'd much rather it's out in the open this way and discussed though. I hate websites I go to and then one day it's been completely changed - and to lesser quality. Ya'll use the board more than I do and should certainly have some input as to what we do to muck things up going forward!

A small scroll in background, (the Constitution) would be nice. Frankly imperative if it were my design.

Keep the soldier (1). Scratch the rest of the military stuff. (unless you wanted to show a turbinetop with his mouth full of water being dumped in by Dick Cheney)

Two or three professional looking types, one of them a woman, one of them black, stick the white guy in the corner (sort of like real life),

On the other side from the Cons, put the Bible, we debate that here.

Also ....don't forget A HANDGUN.

The flash stuff (???????)
    All good ideas and the photos shouldn't be an issue finding and getting rights to. Flash is what allows any animation. The pictures loading separately, the logo fading in on top of them while they fade out, or anything else within the header will all lie within the flash file. When coded/designed properly, it should load even quicker than the plain image up there now. Flash gives you the benefit of quality imaging and allowing for animation. I was going to have him put a picture of Hillary on the header, with a bullseye over her, and you would be able to shoot her with sound and all. While he could do it, I think it's best to leave it without too much activity. Some pictures to get a patriotic feel while also giving an idea as to who is here and what we debate. And of course, hopefully, a better way of showing "DebatePolicy.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful HoneyBee View Post
    I would like to see a banner that says "If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them".
    Like I stated in an earlier post, the images within the flash header will be swappable and I can change them at a moments notice. Every now and again I could float in a few doozies and see if anyone notices! LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I posted this a little earlier, or something like it, it disappeared, fear I can only assume, but I don't mind posting it again.

You owe me a keyboard, emmie!!!!!!!!! You are not very sensitive to patronization and condescension, are you? If jimnyc accepts your recommendations then I accept that he is a bigger fool than I ever imagined him to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One big question, cowgirl. What do you mean by your word "unilateral" in this conversation?

Sounds pretty cool.

I agree with you, emmie. The original banner is perfect! If any change would be made I would suggest that an image of the President Of The United States Of America would somehow be mixed into the mixture of flags, soldiers and other patriotic symbols.

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think it's best to leave it without too much activity.
    less is definitely more.....don't make it too busy....and I definitely don't want to watch it load every time I hit the New Topics button, I do that several times a day....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    less is definitely more.....don't make it too busy....and I definitely don't want to watch it load every time I hit the New Topics button, I do that several times a day....
    According to my friend, he will make it session based. You will see any "animation" just once upon visiting the site, then it won't load again for a specified amount of time. You definitely don't want the animation reloading every time someone hits a new page.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    I agree with you, emmie. The original banner is perfect! If any change would be made I would suggest that an image of the President Of The United States Of America would somehow be mixed into the mixture of flags, soldiers and other patriotic symbols.
    I have no issue with that and will probably incorporate it somehow. He may not be MY choice, but for better or worse, he is OUR President of the US.