Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Ok, we have a rough draft ready to at least get some more feedback. This is just a "generic" header that has images fading in to give you an idea of the functionality. The images are now military related, but it's as easy as uploading 6 new images with the same name and they automatically adapt and resize. The background color will ultimately be the same as the site. The hard part, the 3D lettering "DebatePolicy.com" will then go across all 6 pictures. I know it's hard to get feedback on an unfinished project, but it's much easier to make requested changes now rather than when it is done.

Also, if enough people say leave well enough alone and scrap the idea of changing, I will do so. This is just a work in progress that a buddy and I have been working on. Should have been a few hours for this test but neither of us has been very reliable as of late!

Anyway, here's an EXAMPLE of what I'm aiming for:

http://www.westchestertechnical.com/...er/banner.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Ok, we have a rough draft ready to at least get some more feedback. This is just a "generic" header that has images fading in to give you an idea of the functionality. The images are now military related, but it's as easy as uploading 6 new images with the same name and they automatically adapt and resize. The background color will ultimately be the same as the site. The hard part, the 3D lettering "DebatePolicy.com" will then go across all 6 pictures. I know it's hard to get feedback on an unfinished project, but it's much easier to make requested changes now rather than when it is done.

Also, if enough people say leave well enough alone and scrap the idea of changing, I will do so. This is just a work in progress that a buddy and I have been working on. Should have been a few hours for this test but neither of us has been very reliable as of late!

Anyway, here's an EXAMPLE of what I'm aiming for:

http://www.westchestertechnical.com/...er/banner.html
    I like the sample site. My only concern is how long will it take to get logged into the site with that running.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The pictures came up fine. Don't know if there was more to come as it was still transferring a minute later and nothing more appeared. Will the rest of the page load before that part finishes? I often don't wait for the page to fully load before clicking on new posts.

Ewww you had the Declaration and the dark lord together. I know it's just a sample, but his picture only goes with a hammer and sickle.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I like the sample site. My only concern is how long will it take to get logged into the site with that running.
    It shouldn't affect logging in at all. The fading of the pictures won't always be animated as a cookie will ultimately be set keeping it from doing so. But even with, the Flash is designed in a manner to be fluid and not interrupt the loading of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    The pictures came up fine. Don't know if there was more to come as it was still transferring a minute later and nothing more appeared. Will the rest of the page load before that part finishes? I often don't wait for the page to fully load before clicking on new posts.

Ewww you had the Declaration and the dark lord together. I know it's just a sample, but his picture only goes with a hammer and sickle.
    Just the pictures at the moment as the "logo" is still being designed. The first time loading the pictures, because of the fade, will be about 3-5 seconds (but shouldn't slow down loading of anything else). But once it does the animation it will then appear static for the rest of your time at the site for the day. But, you can also hover your mouse over any picture out of the set and it will highlight that picture and move it to the forefront.

As for the images themselves, I was trying various combinations to see what would look best together. I thought the latest went in 3 stages:

1- Honoring the stars and stripes
    2- honoring the soldiers
    3- present day president and why we honor our flag and soldiers, what they represent and our protect. Like him or not, he is the face of our country at present.

But this is subject to change before the new header is placed, and is subject to change even after that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    I assume that's one vote for "scratch the project"?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i like the one we have now just fine, but the sample one seems nice... a more finished project would be better to base my judgement on though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I like the idea, but will have to say that if I have to look at Obama, I probably won't be visiting as much. We managed to have a header for all these years without a picture of the current president, why start now. If you must have a picture of a president, put up one of the pictures on Mt. Rushmore, not one that has so much current controvery surrounding them.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyKitten99 View Post
    i like the one we have now just fine, but the sample one seems nice... a more finished project would be better to base my judgement on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    I like the idea, but will have to say that if I have to look at Obama, I probably won't be visiting as much. We managed to have a header for all these years without a picture of the current president, why start now. If you must have a picture of a president, put up one of the pictures on Mt. Rushmore, not one that has so much current controvery surrounding them.
    We 86'd the 3d idea and used regular font for the logo. I'm not thrilled with it and will ask Eddie to change it. I think a more solid font will show up better than the illuminated see through. The pictures load, then the site names load - and it has a shadow pass through it with a sparkle at the end.

Again, it seems like it would put a damper on load times, but it's not. The pictures themselves will only load once where they will then be in your cache. The SWF file itself is only 14k, will get downloaded to your machine and execute on the PC side to perform the shockwave. The only negative to this way is that you would need to delete cache in order to see any changes that may be made in the future (new pictures).

I swapped out the photo of Obama and replaced with Mt. Rushmore photo.

If anyone would like to suggest an order for pictures, or different pictures, tell me now!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Thanks Jimnyc! Thanks for listening and considering our thoughts and ideas. You are an awesome host!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Ok, I have the new design up as a trial. I want feedback on slowdowns and any irregularities with the load process. Hopefully, you'll see everything only do the fade process once, but on subsequent pages it will appear as one static image.

Also, with the new "blood red" color in there, would it be wise to change up the board frames from the bluer font to something reddish to go along with the logo? You guys have to look at this all the time, tell me what you want while you can!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Ok, I have the new design up as a trial. I want feedback on slowdowns and any irregularities with the load process. Hopefully, you'll see everything only do the fade process once, but on subsequent pages it will appear as one static image.

Also, with the new "blood red" color in there, would it be wise to change up the board frames from the bluer font to something reddish to go along with the logo? You guys have to look at this all the time, tell me what you want while you can!
    Loads fast..the "Debatepoliicy.com" part sux! Hard to read and plain jane...
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I like it. It has a nice clean look to it, it loads fast, no slow downs here.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

no delays here...my only thought is that when the text fades to black it's a bit dark to read against Mt Rushmore
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 09-03-2009 at 05:01 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looks fine to me
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

though is does make the top of the page feel empty when i scroll back up
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759